Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman picture leaked!!!

Quote:
    DRA said:
    I hope that picture is a photoshop, those fog lights look like a tacky add-on. IMHO the 987 fog lights work better in terms of asthetics.

No photoshop, this is the REAL deal. We had to edit the information because of the press embargo. The picture seems to have leaked from a website hasn't cleared the whole article for publishing yet. Just be happy guys and ask less questions...about where the picture came from.

@RC:
    The others pictures when? :P

I like it better than the spy shots seen before. Let's wait and see it from different angles..

Re: Cayman picture leaked

What is it with Porsche photographers? The first pictures of any model released recently looked like crap.. And when one sees pictures taken by amateurs, one realises it's much better looking than in those first pictures...

This picture is odd. Looks like it was taken by some weddings photographer who knows his stuff but is absolutely clueless at finding good angles when photographing a car

mmmhhh .. which press embargo? i mean there is a huge article bout the cayman ??

anyhow, cool design ..

Quote:
    Steve987 said:
    @RC:
    The others pictures when? :P

Dear hodipo,
    The name is what we're trying to avoid at least till Monday .

I must say that I really like the way it looks. Those side vents are much nicer than those on the Boxster. The fog lights are very Audi A4 though as MKW has already pointed out (my father has a new A4 and it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the pic).

It was always my intention to keep my 987 Boxster until next Autumn and swap it in for a Cayman. I'm not sure though that the Cayman is worth the Pounds4k extra over the Boxster S, whichever way the Porsche marketeers try to spin it. I mean, a so-called 4% improvement in cornering and braking performance isn't going to be noticable to anyone.

I await to see the full details tonight or tommorow. I certainly hope that Porsche include a few bits of extra equipment as standard (such as PASM) to justify the price.

The Cayman will be a great looking car in real, but I'm waiting for more pictures of different angles, of course, WHO ISN'T !! Don't like the round foglights though. The side line with the cooling vents is very nice.

Quote:
    NM said:
    do you think the fogs will give an insight into those on the 997 turbo?

If they do , then I'm canceling my front line position on my dealers's wait list for the Turbo .

I hope the next pics we see are a little more flattering, something about this picture reminds me of an RX8, not good.

I'm dissapointed......all this time I was worried about the back when I should have worried about the front. The stock Boxster S front is amazing.....why in world did they have to do this hack job??? Looks totally un-Porsche....more VW or Audi. The back (with this limited view) seems to flow better than I was expecting with better side grills and all.

While I will wait for all the official pictures to make my final judgement.....I'm leaning more towards getting my deposit back and waiting for something else. If it had the stock Boxster S front I'd be really excited, but those awful fog lights and high price are really pushing me away.
    Sad, been waiting a long time!

The more I see it, the more it grows on me. I think its very nice. However if Pounds4k above a boxster S, then will just have to wait for the standard version which hopefully will be around Pounds36k.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    I'm dissapointed......all this time I was worried about the back when I should have worried about the front. The stock Boxster S front is amazing.....why in world did they have to do this hack job??? Looks totally un-Porsche....more VW or Audi. The back (with this limited view) seems to flow better than I was expecting with better side grills and all.

While I will wait for all the official pictures to make my final judgement.....I'm leaning more towards getting my deposit back and waiting for something else. If it had the stock Boxster S front I'd be really excited, but those awful fog lights and high price are really pushing me away.

I agree completely, it's too early to make a final call but the new front with those lights does seem to cheapen the look of the Cayman. If the reported $58,900 base is correct then Porsche better have increased standard equipment over the Boxster S by at least 6k, right now I'm wishing they had just stuck a roof on the Boxster S, kept horsepower the same and priced it where it should be at around $48,000-$49,000.

Round headlights with round reflectors with round projectors with round turn signals with round fog lights....

Also that upswept line from the sideskirt looks like a bad aftermarket kit and would work better IF the car had angular/boxed fender bulges like Audis . It just fights the door cut line. Given that, they should have just continued the two vertical strakes in the side vent all the way down to a common point of take off to complete that 50's design vibe and echo it in the front with tight silver painted horizontal strakes in the intakes instead of the "Beetle bulbs" .

Quote:
    gb05 said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

I agree completely, it's too early to make a final call but the new front with those lights does seem to cheapen the look of the Cayman. If the reported $58,900 base is correct then Porsche better have increased standard equipment over the Boxster S by at least 6k, right now I'm wishing they had just stuck a roof on the Boxster S, kept horsepower the same and priced it where it should be at around $48,000-$49,000.

You are so right. All I ever wanted (and I believe most will agree) was a Boxster Coupe with standard Boxster engines and running gear.....with a price equal to or preferably less than the Boxster.

Now we have an *expensive* Boxster Coupe with performance that doesn't look to be that far above a Boxster S with an Audi-esque front end. What in the world was Porsche thinking I hate when designers mess with a good thing.
    First BMW, then Audi (most of them), now Porsche....

I am willing to bet the farm that Porsche will offer no special equipment over the Boxster S....no PASM, no nothing.
    They make way too much money on options such as these to be giving them away. We will see nothing over standard Boxster S running gear IMO.

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Quote:
    NM said:
    do you think the fogs will give an insight into those on the 997 turbo?

If they do , then I'm canceling my front line position on my dealers's wait list for the Turbo .

RC, tell us you didn't see this same round foglight design on the un-camouflaged 997 turbo. If you can't say exactly, just give us a sign or a hint.

Urrk, is that how it will look like? Why not keep the nice front of the Boxster with an integrated foglight in the top of the air intake? And the side air intake, eeh? Now the car looks like a crocodile head with gills. Porsche should have just called it Boxster Coupe, put a roof on the Boxster body and not made it complicated for themselves. But that is only humble opinion...

im waitig until the 23rd to make my final decision on whether 2 order a 987 s or a cayman .

my question is. Is the stock cayman 4k more than the 987s or is it cayman s.

either way i think the cayman is awesome looking (i might just replace the front bumper witha the 987 one).

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    im waitig until the 23rd to make my final decision on whether 2 order a 987 s or a cayman .

either way i think the cayman is awesome looking (i might just replace the front bumper witha the 987 one).

The Cayman S is nearly 7k EUR more than the Boxster S in Germany (this takes into account the recent Boxster S price increase).

Quote:
    Atlantis said:
    Quote:
    amir sarmad said:

The Cayman S is nearly 7k EUR more than the Boxster S in Germany (this takes into account the recent Boxster S price increase).

and the 0-60 accel time for the cayman s is ? (5.1 sec) and 987s is 5.5 right? and what about the caymans weight?

Not sure if RC wants this information posted yet, but the official 0-100kph (62mph) time is 5.4 secs, top speed is 275kph (171mph). Don't know about the weight.

whatever they say officially isn't really that important, I mean for the accel and the top speed because its all about marketing and they dont want it to seem to close to the 911 if its really actually faster then they are saying

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Not impressive, not unimpressive, definitely not bad a$$

zzzzzzzzzzz

I agree , and I'll have to see it in person to get a better feel for it. Personaly I don't care for the round fog lighs in the bumper.......

I like the look, it looks more like a British GT of some sort than a German sports car though

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690423 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409712 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255936 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235237 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858373 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774634 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM