Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tip or 6- speed for a tall person

Hi everyone!

I'm planning to order a 997s Cab for the Spring '06 Grand Tour. I have decided on most of my options ( thanks in part to this excellent forum), but I'm still torn as to which tranny would be best for me (I'm 6'6). I test drove a tip(996)and it was very comfortable, plenty of leg room- loved it!
    I have yet to test the 6-speed. If it isn't too cumbersome, because of my long legs and big feet, I believe I would prefer it( for optimal performance and enjoyment).
    I would greatly appreciate your input/advice!

Thank you!
    All the best ,
    SVNSVN

Re: Tip or 6- speed for a tall person

I can't really give my input because i'm only 5'10 but my friends have driven the car and they are about your height, they say it is quite comfortable for them..

Why don't you just remove the front seat and sit in the rear seat?

Well Im 6,4" and have the 987s with manual tran... Not a perfect fit, I could with about a 1cm or 2 more room under the wheel but mostly I can drive the car fine and for long periods of time. Not quite able to get my feet into position s for heal and toe, but so what.

When I picked up the car from the showroom I had a sit in 997 and found with the seat right back there was much more room than in my car.

You should be fine. Also make sure you get the sports wheel as its the smallest one so will give you a couple of mm extra leg room! And it all counts when your 6,6"!!!!

Mike,

Did/do your tall friends drive a tip or 6-speed?

I'm sure the 6-speed would be great in Europe; however, these California roads may be another story.

Thank you for your reply!

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Why don't you just remove the front seat and sit in the rear seat?

!!!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    Well Im 6,4" and have the 987s with manual tran... Not a perfect fit, I could with about a 1cm or 2 more room under the wheel but mostly I can drive the car fine and for long periods of time. Not quite able to get my feet into position s for heal and toe, but so what.

When I picked up the car from the showroom I had a sit in 997 and found with the seat right back there was much more room than in my car.

You should be fine. Also make sure you get the sports wheel as its the smallest one so will give you a couple of mm extra leg room! And it all counts when your 6,6"!!!!

Wow!
    RichJ,
    I guess if you can fit in the 987s, I should be fine with the manual 997s.
    That's a great idea regarding the sports wheel! Is yours the thicker option wheel?

Thank you!

Quote:
    RichJ said:
    ...And it all counts when your 6,6"!!!!

RichJ,

I also plan to order the seats without the power package- more headroom without the motor under the seat.

I'm 6'6" and ordered a 6 spd. I'd never consider a Tip. That's just me though.

I test drove 2, Cab and coupe. No problems, although getting in and out can be a chore getting your feet around the pedals while your knees are jammed into into the wheel..... with the tilt wheel it's better than my 993 though.

Put the seat back as vertical as you can to get your shoulders closer to the shifter?

Remove the shift lever from the housing, bring it to a machine shop have them bend it so the knob is closer to you?

Have machine shop cut it and weld a few inches into it? Lengthening the shift lever won't really mess you up since you're not racing.

What exactly is the problem anyway?

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Mike,

Did/do your tall friends drive a tip or 6-speed?

I'm sure the 6-speed would be great in Europe; however, these California roads may be another story.

Thank you for your reply!

Was a 6-speed, i will never ever buy a porsche (unless it's a cayenne ) in Tip. Might as well buy an AMG merc then :P the only problem is the position of the seat's memory buttons, my friends tend to push those a lot around corners

Quote:
    1Gunner said:
    I'm 6'6" and ordered a 6 spd. I'd never consider a Tip. That's just me though.

I test drove 2, Cab and coupe. No problems, although getting in and out can be a chore getting your feet around the pedals while your knees are jammed into into the wheel..... with the tilt wheel it's better than my 993 though.

Thank you 1Gunner!

Great to hear no problems because of your height- I was concerned that I could be limited to the tip because the 6-speed would be too cumbersome.

I would prefer the 6-speed.

I also believe the 997 has more room in the foot well than the 996? That should make it even better.

Thanks a lot for the info Mike S and MMD!

I wonder if the Sport Shifter would also help this dinosaur?

I'm 6'4 and it's just great to sit. I have the Cab and more head room than in my Mercedes E-class (top closed of course)! Sometimes turning tight and changing gear at the time it happens that I hit my knee with the wrist. But that's not a problem.

Just watch that you order the adaptive sport seats!! Just perfect for tall people. Much better regarding the shoulders than the sport seats.

And regarding the 6-speed it's so much fun I couldn't imagine not having it. It's just a perfect gear box and is even a pleasure in traffic jams.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

I'm not kidding about bending or lengthening the shifter etc. heck, you spend almost $100K (us) and they can do all sorts of modifications to cars out there.

I have a pesky back problem (sports injury) and had the seats in my Boxster brought into have cushioning changed at a well-regarded auto upholstery shop.

Donlt be afraid to mess with the car in unconventional ways to make it work for your comfort.

I betcha there's something they can do to the clutch pedal to accomodate longer legs etc... . If it doesn't have to go down all teh way to the floor: well there's some room you can work with by re-shaping the pedal's lever.

HEY! There are alot of successful pro basketballers who have porsches: surely THEY get them modified to be more comfortable!!

Quote:
    Seven said:
    And regarding the 6-speed it's so much fun I couldn't imagine not having it. It's just a perfect gear box and is even a pleasure in traffic jams.

Seven,

Thank you for the valuable info! I really appreciate everyones input so far ! It's reassuring to hear that other tall Porsche drivers opted for the manual and have absolutely no problems or regrets.

Your car looks great!!! Perfect!!! As I believe someone else has mentioned, it really does look very wide too.
    Hopefully when I pick mine up in Stuttgart( my place of birth) next year we can go for a spin.

All the best,
    SVNSVN

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:

I'm not kidding about bending or lengthening the shifter etc. heck, you spend almost $100K (us) and they can do all sorts of modifications to cars out there.

I have a pesky back problem (sports injury) and had the seats in my Boxster brought into have cushioning changed at a well-regarded auto upholstery shop.

Donlt be afraid to mess with the car in unconventional ways to make it work for your comfort.

I betcha there's something they can do to the clutch pedal to accomodate longer legs etc... . If it doesn't have to go down all teh way to the floor: well there's some room you can work with by re-shaping the pedal's lever.

HEY! There are alot of successful pro basketballers who have porsches: surely THEY get them modified to be more comfortable!!

MMD,

Excellent suggestions! I will definitely explore every option to make it as comfy as possible: sports wheel, seats,shifter, etc. Well, maybe except for removing the front seat to sit in the back as Danny G suggested.

Thank you!

All the best,
    SVNSVN

If footwell room is an issue or moving your feet around, whatever...get a pair of driving shoes, I have a pair of Puma Speedcats that I always keep in my car, and they are GREAT for driving! Not to mention they are worn by F1 drivers but can now be worn for the everday(dont suggest it, but it works). Never thought shoes would make a difference, but they do!

Quote:
    M5er said:
    If footwell room is an issue or moving your feet around, whatever...get a pair of driving shoes, I have a pair of Puma Speedcats that I always keep in my car, and they are GREAT for driving! Not to mention they are worn by F1 drivers but can now be worn for the everday(dont suggest it, but it works). Never thought shoes would make a difference, but they do!

M5er,

Thank you! Will do- Puma's/ F1 rock too!
    They seem to make big feet smaller without sacrificing comfort.

All the best to you!

Same to you, anytime

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775729 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440894 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262342 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260531 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879936 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814888 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM