Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Formula 1

News came out that Ricciardo wants a $21mil settlement to vacate that seat. That $21mil is all his if he sits out the 2023 season. If however he signed with another team, his new salary will go back to McLaren while keeping that $21mil. Theoretically, he could say signs with Haas for half a mil and all McLaren will get back is $500k. 

Number is interesting as it was reported that his 2021 contract only pays him $17mil a season, with various bonuses on top for points and victories. Giant pay cut  from his Renault contract, which was like $25.5mil a year, 4x as much as he was getting paid at Red Bull before that.

The 2021 McLaren contract  was a 2+1, 2023 is the option year but Ricciardo, not McLaren holds the execution rights. 

Does he sees himself earning enough points to make another $4mil on top of his base salary for 2023?

In a perfect world, Ricciardo doesn't execute his option year and the McLaren seat is free and clear for Piastri. 

Now it would seems he has either executed his option year, or is asking to get paid to NOT execute his option year. 

$21mil is the starting point, likely the number will be between $17mil and $21mil after negotiations. 

--

Here’s a similar article from Planet F1.  Looks like the Andretti PR machine is a bit more powerful than expected. https://www.planetf1.com/news/mario-andretti-claps-back-toto-wolff/

2026 engine regulations rectified.

Expect immediate press release soon from VAG for at least the Porsche Red Bull tied up. 

While others are dragging their feet finalizing the engine spec to not give Porsche a head start on engine development, I think Porsche will at least supply a very competitive unit, especially when on the hybrid side of things they are head and shoulders above anyone else in F1 for MGU-K capture and delivery. 

--

Whoopsy:

2026 engine regulations rectified.

Expect immediate press release soon from VAG for at least the Porsche Red Bull tied up. 

While others are dragging their feet finalizing the engine spec to not give Porsche a head start on engine development, I think Porsche will at least supply a very competitive unit, especially when on the hybrid side of things they are head and shoulders above anyone else in F1 for MGU-K capture and delivery. 

Well...I certainly hope their venture into F1 is better than their pitiful effort in FE.

Newey isn't going anywhere, so the aero package will be there. They just have to produce a half decent engine and they will be competitive.

Formula E had always been a joke, a side show for everyone. Gimmicky tracks, gimmicky boosts, it's FIA's half ass attempt and producing 'green' racing.

--

Agreed on FE, but the truth is they joined at the same time as Mercedes, and got completely demolished. 

Also - the joke regs and racing are the same for all, so Porsche has no excuse.

I am struggling to even try and find them an excuse. I can't.

The cars, they are mostly spec cars and it's suppose to be down to driver skills. But Wehrlein and Lotterer aren't pushovers yet they still aren't competitive. 

While they bring their own e-motor and inverter, the regulation is so tight that those might as well be spec parts. 

About the only excuse I can think of is that they went in half assed. They were never serious about it to start off with, they only went in to 'look green'. 

--

Porsche have never been successful in single seaters except as engine suppliers during the McLaren-TAG 1984-86 period.

The Footwork-Arrows venture in F1 was disastrous and also in US racing the CART and Indycar efforts never met with success.

Reason unknown!

The FE participation was supposed to promote the electrification of Porsche cars. Fortunately, none of the Taycan buyers bothers to follow Formula E

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Whoopsy:

They were never serious about it to start off with, they only went in to 'look green'. 

Recently attended Formula E Seoul invited by local Porsche dealer and walked out half way into the main race.  Just no drama other than 8 car crash pile ups.

On the way out, I saw multiple diesel generators used to charge these Formula E cars.  What a pity!  

It's just all for a show and not even a good one.

McLaren/Ricciardo divorce is finalized. he will be paid 15mil break up fee and he is free to sign somewhere else.

Opens the door for Alpine to sign him dirt cheap, at least for next year. 

Could Haas or Alfa swoop in and sign Danny Pic and screw Alpine even more? 

--

I was really surprised to see how he struggled at McLaren, I mean that the gap to Norris was so bit that I wasn't see that coming! I believe that he is a great driver, but the question is.. was it the McLaren or the new cars he couldn't adopt to ???

Leaving Renault at the time was a big mistake.The new car was designed around him. If I was Renault I would not take him back. 

Alonso surely will stay for 2023 with Alpine ?

Ocon is no slouch either.

Ricciardo could be in a tricky situation, maybe.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

He signed with Aston for 2+1 already. 

--

okay Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Shaich:

I was really surprised to see how he struggled at McLaren, I mean that the gap to Norris was so bit that I wasn't see that coming! I believe that he is a great driver, but the question is.. was it the McLaren or the new cars he couldn't adopt to ???

From what I understands, it's the driving style. Ricciardo is old school, to put it simply. His racing style needs a really stable race car in order to perform but modern F1 cars are anything but stable, he is losing time on corner entries and corner exits and of course on the straights. There was some clips on Youtube about McLaren race engineers trying to coach Ricciardo during a lap on how he should drive entering corners, mid corners and on exits.

The current crop of young guns, aka the future of F1s, all prefers a 'pendulum' car. It's how I best describe it.

Verstappen is the most extremely of them all, But Leclerc, Norris all the same to an extend. On corner entry, the car is literally swinging, not turning, around the front tire and steering input is adjusted until the car is pointing where they want it. I know that sounds like it's just normal cornering but it isn't. Another way to put it is that for old school drivers, the steering input is what they asked the car to turn, new style is to use the steering input to predict and match the expected turning rate. 

Old school style is get the car stable and turning the whole car at the same rate. The new kids all drive a very loose car and let the rear swing to where they want it. it's not quite oversteering, they are using the momentum of the engine/car to help them rotate. Basically a karting technique. The kids are driving an F1 car like a kart. It's why we always hear Verstappen getting angry about no front grip, the outside front tire keep washing away, preventing him from rotating the car around that tire. 

Alonso had always like a loose car, so he is fine. Vettel, like Ricciardo, just can't adapt, they did some karting growing up but they aren't good at it.  Hamilton was an accomplished kart winner before, he is basically going back to his roots. 

--

throt:

okay Smiley

He is the one that started this mess of a driver mix up Smiley

--

Here we go!  Spa!!!!

max-verstappen-racing-charles-leclerc-imola-planetf1-1200x630.jpeg

NEW

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/127301/pirelli-warns-drivers-of-new-challenges-at-spa-francorchamps.html

Pirelli warns drivers of new challenges at Spa-Francorchamps
    18:22, TODAY LAST UPDATE: 19:35

GPblog.com

The Belgian Grand Prix promises to be another exciting weekend for Formula One. After a four-week summer break, the sport returns to Spa-Francorchamps for the second half of the season. The changes to the track will be quite a challenge for the drivers.

The three middle compounds have been chosen for the race in Belgium. Pirelli will take the C2 as the hard tyre, the C3 as the mediums and finally the C4 will serve as the soft tyre this weekend. Pirelli mentions the unpredictable weather that Spa-Francorchamps is known for. The tyre supplier therefore expects a real possibility that the drivers will use the intermediates and full wets during the weekend.

"New changes bring new challenges, but the epic nature of Spa is still the same", echoes Pirelli boss Mario Isola on the official website"This year, Spa has undergone some of the biggest changes we have seen since we started going there in the modern era of Formula 1. But we know something of what to expect thanks to the 24-hour race last month as well as some asphalt samples that we have taken.

Isola warns drivers
    There is new asphalt in five corners and there are also new gravel traps in Turn 1, 6, 7 and 9. The gravel contains sharp stones that caused many punctures during the 24 Hours of Spa last month. "Drivers will need to pay more attention to track limits, and there’s also an increased chance of sharp gravel being dragged onto the surface", says Isola, warning drivers in advance

Can Ferrari get its riff together????

FbBBvGuXkAAMIum.jpeg

FbBCRcAXwAA9KOJ.jpeg

FbBQaRkXgAAEcTa.jpeg

FbBQWqkXwAEVe4B.jpeg

So weird that Audi announced they are entering F1 as an engine manufacturer yet not accompanying that with a team that will be using their powertrain. Upstaging their big brother Porsche.

So it would seems someone in Audi still wanted to continue the tradition from long dead Piech, using Audi to upstage Porsche, as THE brand for VAG.

And we thought VAG had purged all Piech clan traitors a long time ago. mail

The optics really isn't good for VAG as a whole. I can't even imagine the fight inside the boardroom for the next VAG board meeting. 

I sure hope in the near future, Oliver Blume will realign the VAG brands and label Audi under Porsche to put them inline.

This is F1 announcement is almost like half a mutiny in VAG. 

--

Last I heard, the Porsche IPO was still being planned. That moves Audi back to a dominate position within the Volkswagen Group hierarchy.  

Whoopsy:
    throt:

Ricciardo signed with Aston? Sorry have not followed the latest but would love him to stay in the circus. 

996FourEss:
    Whoopsy:
    throt:

Ricciardo signed with Aston? Sorry have not followed the latest but would love him to stay in the circus. 

Ricciardo doesn't have a ride yet for 2023. He could potentially goes to Alpine, Alfa, Haas, Williams and Alpha Tauri, they all have seats unfilled yet.

--

Just as Audi announces their entry, Alfa Romeo also announced their departure after the 2023 season.

That would leave Sauber without a title sponsor for 2024 and 2025.

Would Audi steps in and fund those 2 season before their formal entry? Even when Sauber will be running Ferrari engines?

Not really from way out in left field, but maybe they will re-sign Zhou and him bringing in Chinese money for a Chinese title sponsor just in time for F1 to return to China in 2023.

--

Both Verstappen and Leclerc are taking fresh power units and will be taking grid drops. This is gonna be fun watching them carve up the field. 

This opens the door for Sainz to win his 2nd GP. If his car doesn't blow up.

Fat chance for Mercedes to take their 1st win of the season, doesn't seems like their cars are in the ballpark window yet. 

I however like the chance for Alonso to have a podium finish. Especially so if it rains on Sunday. And with Norris having to take a grid drop also.

--

CGX car nut:

Last I heard, the Porsche IPO was still being planned. That moves Audi back to a dominate position within the Volkswagen Group hierarchy.  

It's near!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-26/porsche-lines-up-ipo-demand-at-up-to-85-billion-valuation?srnd=premium-europe

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF

Another sign of market irrationality as Volkswagen Group as of the time I am writing this post has a market cap of $83 billion implying that all the other assets outside of Porsche has a negative $2 billion market cap.  That’s incredibly doubtful.  This reminds my of the halcyon dot.com days when Palm spun out of 3com with a valuation much higher than 3com.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM