Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Initial impressions of the 430

Picked it up yesterday and drove it a few miles without an opportunity to real test it because of traffic. However here our some impressions.

1. Without a doubt, the car looks much better in person. It has a very aggressive posture with luscious lines accentuating the aerodynamic features. It sits lower than the 360 and on about the same plane as the Stradale. It turns a lot of heads and has considerable "WOW" factor appeal.

2. The build quality is excellent. I thought the 360 was well built but the 430 is even better. The interior is beautifully structured though not substantially different from the 360. The materials used are of very high quality and fitted perfectly.

3. Driving the car is a totally different experience than the 360. It is similar to the Stradale but yet more refined. It has more torque and in my view more planted because of the technological advances in the car. I sense the E-differential as I am pulling out of corners providing power to the wheels that need it while cornering. It has a go kart like quality feeling the torque and reaching higher speeds effortless.

4. The car has a bit of understeer but when you switch to sport then to race it disappears. I have not tried driving with the stability system turned off. The maninettino (?) is a terrific technological advancement for a high performance car. You really know your in the different settings by not only the feel of the car but the sensing the throttle and the change in shifting with the F1 tranny.

5. The F1 is definitely an improvement over the 360 version. Depending which mode your in it modulates the engine and shifting time. Once I was in race and as I was coming to a gradual stop the car began to chug and when I switch to the city driving position it smooothed out.

5. The exhaust is magnificent. It is better than Tubi, Stradale and Capristo. It has a perfect pitch and as you increase RPM's it begins to scream like a F1 car. The first time I was able to get to higher rpm's listening the the exhaust and feeling the pull of the car, I began to laugh hysterically. It was that overwhelming. The only car I have heard which beats this sound is the CGT.

6. The brakes(steel) are excellent but I thought the Stradale brakes somewhat better. However, I doubt the additional $15,000 for carbon are worth it.

Finally, most people who know Ferrari's have indicated that the Stradale is the best Ferrari ever built. After driving the Stradale a couple of times in a spirited fashion and at high speeds, I certainly agreed with that statement. However, the 430 is really a cut above the Stradale and is now the high water mark of what a high performance sport car should be. Of course, I am not comparing it to the Enzo or the CGT which are at a higher level.

Overall this car is a marvelous achievement blending racing technology and experience with unrivaled styling. Anyone getting one is indeed very fortunate.

I will post some pictures later. Also, Ben will be driving the car today and he will give you his unbiased impressions.

Re: Initial impressions of the 430

Nick,

Thanks for the write-up and congratulations. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Enjoy it in the best of health.

Amir

How about a couple photos, Nick? Congratulations

congratulations nick!!

i'm really looking forward to your photos and further impressions!

Hey Nick,

Congratulations and I'm sure you're relieved that all the waiting is over!

mcdelaug

Congratulations Nick.. I know how you feel after all this wait. Please post some pictures asap. I saw one last night in front of a hotel in Dubai. It simply looked beautiful.

Now go out there and drive the thing and leave us Porsche fans enjoy chating w/o you raining on our parade.

congrats, welcome to the 430 club , It's a blast, isn't it ...

........ want to hear Ben's opinion

Finnally you got it!
    We have our "differences" but you know its all good fun so I want to add to tghe congratulations, and I'm glad the car lived up to your expectations and then some!

Will like to hear more impressions (and pics) later on when you get a chance to do more miles

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    congrats, welcome to the 430 club , It's a blast, isn't it ...

........ want to hear Ben's opinion

it is a very very mellow car IMO. "comfort" was the best one word description that kept coming to mind. if it didn't have all the horsies all over the interior, i'd have thought i was driving a better riding E46 M3. 360/430 i've only driven my stradale, and two 360 spiders with tubi. the 430 coupe is by far the most "refined" and uneventful one of the bunch. that said, the torque is much increased but the refinement leaves it feeling maybe stradale fast (even if it's much faster). it's probably the sound of the stradale that makes it feel faster than it is. the two 360 tubi equipped spiders felt more alive and delivered alot more sensory imput on the street at street speeds.

the 430 has a crapload of grip, but it's an effortless grip. to get it to the point of involvement during cornering that stimulates like a 360, the speeds would have to be considerably greater. nick does need to check the tire pressure though as the car felt a bit unstable at speed. as well, i think the steering is a bit light (overboosted) for a sportscar. this obviously has a negative effect on steering feel.

i guess what i'm trying to say is this car is a FANTASTIC street car (truly an every day driver in terms of comfort), but it has moved more into the realm of porsche in that you have to be going very fast to be stimulated. iow, on the steet i think it's fairly boring, but on the track it's still a lot of fun (only rode in the one at the track though).

this car in red is by far the best looking choice for the 430 imo out of the several colors in which i've seen it in person.

Congrats Nick, enjoy what seems to be a near to perfect allround sports car. Makes the waiting even harder...

The exhaust note is one of the notable CS-like improvements of 430...which I agree is otherwise now a fairly domesticated car. However, I know of one guy who lives in a leafy, quiet suburb and uses either 430 or DB9 as daily commuter car, but the exhaust notes of both his commuter cars were apparently waking up/pissing off his neighbors (he typically leaves at 5AMish)....so he's now thinking of switching to "the silent assassin", the 996TTS, as his commuter vehicle....and it has the added feature of cupholders, unlike the 430/DB9....

Ben and I are covertible lovers and as a result the sensory input is greater since the top is down. Additionally, Ben is used to the Stradale and CGT which provide a much rawer driving experience. I agree the 430 is more compliant but in an exciting way. The balance and grip of the car are phenonmenal. The only car I have driven or rode in which exceeded the feel is the CGT.

"The first time I was able to get to higher rpm's listening the the exhaust and feeling the pull of the car, I began to laugh hysterically."

Perfect! Congratulations. Hope to have mine in July; you've made a hard wait much harder, though.

Congrats Nick !

I am sure that after the new wears off you will still smile everyday you drive it.

Awesome congrats, will you be taking it to Carlsbad? I would love to take photos of it. The last time I had the chance to take pics of one, I was at Symbolic and that was the exact same time that they started up a Ferrari F1 car...I stopped taking pics and went streight inside where the F1 car was only to get there right when they stopped reving it

------edit

I think it will look great next to a CGT...

Quote:
    nick does need to check the tire pressure though as the car felt a bit unstable at speed.

that's still my impression either. tire pressure adjustment helped, but car's not as stable as i'd wish. and it's very susceptible to side winds, even more than my previous (and infamous for side wind susceptibility) 911's.

Quote:

i guess what i'm trying to say is this car is a FANTASTIC street car (truly an every day driver in terms of comfort), but it has moved more into the realm of porsche in that you have to be going very fast to be stimulated. iow, on the steet i think it's fairly boring, but on the track it's still a lot of fun (only rode in the one at the track though).

veto!

i switched from a GT3 RS to the F430... and though the F430 is consequently much more comfortable, daily driving isn't boring at all to me.

btw: have you tried out "CST OFF"? skyhook suspension gets almost GT3-hard, steering phenomenal, roadholding excellent. just a blast.

Quote:
    zzboba said:

btw: have you tried out "CST OFF"? skyhook suspension gets almost GT3-hard, steering phenomenal, roadholding excellent. just a blast.

nope, further i switched everything off was RACE, but i'll give it a try when again after the tire pressures are checked in CST off.

Congratulations good old Nick!!!
    Well done!
    Very nice car!
    Gald you like it!
    Hey, BTW, who's that on the pic?
    Ben or you?
    Ben, haven't driven the 430 yet but your judgement confirms the reason why they gave it that nickname at the factory: La Bicycletta!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

nope, further i switched everything off was RACE, but i'll give it a try when again after the tire pressures are checked in CST off.

Doesn't Nick have tyre pressure control? And if not, why? Reliability?

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:

Doesn't Nick have tyre pressure control? And if not, why? Reliability?

I do have it and when I checked them the tires were running in the low 40's. I believe cold they should be set in the mid 30's. BTW I do not agree with Ben's view regarding the handling. Ben is accustomed to a totally different type of car.

Fanch that is me.

CONGRATULATIONS Nick!
    Love the Red/red calipers !
    The 43O is a beautiful car.

I do have it and when I checked them the tires were running in the low 40's. I believe cold they should be set in the mid 30's. BTW I do not agree with Ben's view regarding the handling. Ben is accustomed to a totally different type of car.

Fanch that is me.

I don't agree with Ben's vieuw either, and 'accustomed' to different type of car' has NOTHING to do with it !!

Quote:
    Patriek said:

Fanch that is me.

I don't agree with Ben's vieuw either, and 'accustomed' to different type of car' has NOTHING to do with it !!

well i know you raced shuemacher back when you guys were toddlers and he is now the highest paid athlete on the planet and you are..., but these are my driving impressions of the car. if you don't like, tough %hit.

so, and what hot shot do you you think you are ???? Don't try to judge me, you CAN'T !

Ben, your driving (impressions and) skills are based on what ?? driving like a sissy and poseur over the american high ways ...
    Sorry, you can own a lot of great cars, thinking about yourself that's your the best, that doesn't give you any driver skills, ...but honestly, I really don't give a [censored], you and your comments mean NOTHING to me !

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    so, and what hot shot do you you think you are ???? Don't try to judge me, you CAN'T !

Ben, your driving (impressions and) skills are based on what ?? driving like a sissy and poseur over the american high ways ...
    Sorry, you can own a lot of great cars, thinking about yourself that's your the best, that doesn't give you any driver skills, ...but honestly, I really don't give a [censored], you and your comments mean NOTHING to me !

poor Patriek goes off on the deep end of defensive based personal attacks because someone (with direct experience) doesn't share his opinions about his wittle car to which his fragile ego is so closely tied. get help and/or grow up wittle guy.

silly comment !

BEN, YOU'RE THE BEST !!!! ........(at least you think)

no further comment needed!

Don't worry, I don't think he meant to [censored] you off. Just relax, getting upset is not really necessary.

It's interesting that you don't call Nick a poseur because he agrees with you viewpoint (regardless of how he drives), yet you call Ben a poseur. He's out driving hard in twisty bits quite a bit.

The kind of cars you are accustomed to does make a difference, no? Once you get used to cars that provide a lot of feedback, something relatively uncommunicative won't feel quite as right at speed or around a bend.

Open discussion

- J

someone (with direct experience)

give me some info about your 'direct experience', so I can amuse myself !

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    silly comment !

BEN, YOU'RE THE BEST !!!! ........(at least you think)

no further comment needed!

Patriek, I can assure you that the residents of San Diego
    have more un patrolled and empty stretches of hiway nearer to them than Belgium.

Ben's opinion was interesting, but not worthy of the rancor, the guy has a lot of perfromance machines and a lot of seat time in them. Disagree yes, froth at the mouth, no, these cars are only machines, not your wives and sisters. LOL

C'mon take it easy guys, lets keep it polite

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754498 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431287 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255746 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868748 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802575 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM