Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What do u do when this happens???

Had my 987 2.7 for a month now. 2000km on the clock.
    wanna get ur opinion on something.

What do u do when someone tailgates u??!!!

Last nite, this Asian dude driving a modded Mini Cooper S (which I hv owned b4 my boxster) was tailgating me for at least a block.

and I mean, he was really close to my ar$$. I was still breaking in the engine, so I could only revved it to 5500 rpm. but this thing was going nuts!! he must be revving the hell out of the engine, or he has done something under the bonnet. ( I could only make out the aftermarket Boris exahust)

I couldnt loose him. At that moment, I was so pi$$ed off, I swirled the slow lane, winded down my windows, and gave him the BIG FINGER. then I tailgated him for another block before my girl friend stopped my road rage..... at that time, we both slowed down to road legal limit.

But seriously. What the f*** is wrong with these people. Cant they leave us alone??!!! My car may stand out a bit (being Yellow), but if u wanna drive like a d*head, do it on a race track.

I must admit, I do hv a short fuse when it comes to people tailgating me. and I ALWAYS tailgate them back. with or without giving them the finger.....

So. what do fellow boxster owners do when someone tailgates u???

Re: What do u do when this happens???

if this happens to me.. i will just change to the slow lane and let them pass me...as in ignorance

You hit the nail on the head - Speed Yellow!!!

But don't rise to the idiots!!!!

Yeah. Very easy to get agitated I agree. Had a similar thing happen at the weekend with a BMW. Overtook me WAY over the limit, just to prove that he could. I just let him go as I'm breaking the car in as well, and, well, I didn't have to prove anything. I think if you DON'T rise to it, it's even more of a middle finger, as you imply that 'Yeah mate, I could blow you away, but I just can't be bothered'. The BMW must have been upset that he just couldn't keep up from a standing start. (I wasn't really trying either).

If someone's really close, and I've got no-where to pull over, I do tend to flash my rear fog-lights on. Bit naughty, but the instinctive reaction of the person behind is to brake. Often they don't realise they are being an ar$e, and pull back a bit.

I know what you mean though. It's so so easy for the red mist to rise.

Quote:
    Malmsteen said:
    if this happens to me.. i will just change to the slow lane and let them pass me...as in ignorance

Totally agree. I would rather have a moron in front than a moron behind.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:I would rather have a moron in front than a moron behind.

So true.

And I'd rather have a bottle infront'a me than a frontal lobotomy.

Here's what I would do... whip out your camcorder and videotape the incident. Hopefully, you can get the license plate and the driver in the video. And, to add salt to the wound, maybe throw him the finger a few times, so you can record him going crazy. Then call 911 or whatever emergency number the police is at and tell them that some psycho is tailgating you, dangerously. My guess is that the guy will back off quickly, but go through with the complaint and let the police deal with him.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Here's what I would do... whip out your camcorder and videotape the incident. etc.

Works up until the point where the person forces you to stop, gets out a baseball bat or a gun, and you end up (possibly posthumously) appearing on Crimewatch. This has happened. Best thing is just to ignore it. Much less hassle. You'll have forgotten all about it in a week.

You could let him overtake you and THEN call the cops with the licence plate. But often they just don't give a damn.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Works up until the point where the person forces you to stop, gets out a baseball bat or a gun, and you end up (possibly posthumously) appearing on Crimewatch. This has happened.

Criminals have guns in the UK? I thought they were illegal?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Criminals have guns in the UK? I thought they were illegal?

Our criminals don't do anything illegal. They're British

This is very normal, and specially with porsches..Here in Spain is quite common to have the tipical citroen saxo, with some tunning parts, driving right next to your rear, and trying to race with you..

Sometimes you play with them , and others not..

But what you guys do when driving your porsche and you see another porsche or ferrari cruising beside you???huh!!, don't you play a bit???
    Mini cooper S's are fast, may be it was the john cooper works

Breath Deep & Let It Go

I am in the northeast in the US and the people are wrapped really tight. On top of this there are a lot of morons in huge SUVs.

I used to get agitated but I stopped a long time ago after a guy got of his car with a tire iron. It just not worth it.

Breath deep and count to 10 and let it go. Its not worth the hassle. Potential damage to you, your car and whoever else you are with. This is not about showing that you are a man, this about showing that you are smart (which after buying a Porsche I hope you are).

When I have morons tailgating I just pull over and let 'em pass. Had a guy in an SUV a few weeks ago pass me on a double yellow line (which we are not allowed to pass on in the US). Cops nailed his butt just down the road.

Re: Breath Deep & Let It Go

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    I am in the northeast in the US and the people are wrapped really tight. On top of this there are a lot of morons in huge SUVs.

I used to get agitated but I stopped a long time ago after a guy got of his car with a tire iron. It just not worth it.

Breath deep and count to 10 and let it go. Its not worth the hassle. Potential damage to you, your car and whoever else you are with. This is not about showing that you are a man, this about showing that you are smart (which after buying a Porsche I hope you are).

When I have morons tailgating I just pull over and let 'em pass. Had a guy in an SUV a few weeks ago pass me on a double yellow line (which we are not allowed to pass on in the US). Cops nailed his butt just down the road.

I love a happy ending.

Re: Breath Deep & Let It Go

when these things happen,i describe it only with one word.
    ENVY.

A Minor correction...

Passing on a double yellow IS allowed in Vermont.

But I certainly agree, let them go and be mad with the world on their own.

Michael

Re: A Minor correction...

I used to have a Mini Cooper S before the 987 and they are quite fast if you drive them hard, not too much slower than a Boxster. Sounds like the guy was a tw@t!! Just jealousy !!!

taking a deep breathe trick does work
    but if I do it, then I am admitting i hv road rage....

In Australia at least, if someone else smashes into the back of your car, its ALWAYS the fault of the driver BEHIND.

keeping that in mind. next time, touch wood, if I hv a scratch on my back bumper, and some [censored] is tailgating me. I would slam on the brakes

.... and viola!!! New bumper bar all paid for

were you going too slow in the passing lane? People here will tailgate your a** and then cut you off if you do that.

LOL..I know the feeling. The way I react depends on the day. In most cases, just try to ignore the idiots. I know its hard!!

Quote:

You can say that again!!

Just relax and forget about it.
    I have people tailgating me each and every day, especially BMW, Audi but also Mini Cooper S drivers. And I'm driving a 997 Carrera S. I usually let them pass me and when the next sharp curve comes along, I start to tailgate THEM if they really drove me nuts before. They usually get very nervous because 99% can't be REALLY fast in a curve.

However...my emotions are pretty "cool", I never get involved in any aggressive driving style or showing them the finger. I mean c'mon, tailgating a 997 Carrera S with a BMW 530 d or even a Mini Cooper S, this is ridiculous. I usually show them what my car is capable of and then fall back again. Those idi.ts usually don't get it and still continue to drive the hell out of their cars.

RC: I thought you'd just pull out your Cayenne and leisurely eat the Cooper alive? War of the roses, anyone?

For me it depends. More often than not I'll try(!) to ignore them. Sometimes I'll just pull away at the next traffic light or curve and then settle back into my normal pace and let them pass if they feel the continued urge. At that point they've already been shown their limits *eg*. It still does annoy me like hell, even after all these years.

So far I got lucky here in the UK though... only encountered one or two hot hatch drivers with a need to show of their special education history, and never anyone who continuously latched on to my bumper. Maybe my dirty girl escapes notice due to the camouflage color? *knock on wood*

There was a time when I could be drawn into this kind of thing. But not anymore. Frankly, I really couldn't care less what some tailgating, juvenile thinks about me or my car. I don't have anything to prove to them, and I certainly don't want to waste any time or energy sorting out insurance cards, etc after even a minor accident.

My wife teases me about being a Narcissist, I call it "imperturbability!"

[censored] drivers are rampant where I live; if I were to become emotoinally invested in their behavior it would be like having a second job that I had to do on my commute home from work.

mcdelaug

Its one thing sitting in your lounge room saying how u would react in this situation, but its totally different when some [censored] provote u enough to push you beyond your limit of tolerance.

I did own a Mini Cooper S b4 my 987 for 3 yrs- lightly modified. It was a fun + fast car to throw around corners, and I have been a long term member with a Mini website. and it seems that Mini Cooper S owners (esp John Cooper Works ppl) think that they can take on any car in corners.

incl E46 M3. seriously! no kidding.
    but in reality, they r all dreamers. they get close of the bumper of say my car, then goes on the Mini forum and brag about how they took on a 987 and won.....

But after reading these responses, its certainly a sensible thing to just let them pass... and I will be doing my very best to control my road rage.....

Being on Rennteam is better than having a Dr Phil session.....
    thx guys!

just a bit add up..

IMO well you are driving porsche.. you are a upper class person no need to deal with lower class people(this points to those who just dont have good driver manner) : P

What would a psychiartist, or other trained mental health professional do in that situation? First of all they don't get personally emotionally involved in teh situation. They assume the patient is incompetant or having serious problems and doesn't have perspective on what he's doing.

You want to defuse it as best as possible. Pull over, put on your emergency blinkers, exit the highway or street, whatever you have to do to elimiante as many of the dangerous features of the situation as possible.

Blah, blah, blah... .

I NEVER intentionally p*ss people off on public roads, you can't get away from them once you do. They can have a friend whose wife works at the motor vehicles office and next thing you know they a**hole will know where you live.

that sounds scary.. you mean some crazy people will end up stalking you and chainsaw your porsche?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774795 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440327 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262070 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260308 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879387 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814209 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM