Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Latest Porsche Quality in U.S.

Here is the latest quality survey information in the U.S. ...note were Porsche is ranked!

Re: Latest Porsche Quality in U.S.

Sorry...here's the chart

Well, that's all nice. But it doesnt say WHAT kind of problems were reported.
    Maybe the Lexus owners reported that the engine fell out, and the Suzuki owners complained about a malfunctioning glovebox.
    Who knows.
    Take into consideration also, that owners of certain brands are more particular about details than others.

A list of customer satisfaction or specific problems reported could be interesting to see.

had to call Porsche GB today after 13 days of not sorting out or responding to my complaint!! They said it might have been "blocked in the system"!! Charming.

But 911 is the 3rd in premium sports car segment in the same study. May be the reason of Cayenne?

Take Mercedes - infamous for falling quality and poor dealer service (here in the UK, anyway) yet they are near the top at 104. Kia, makers of that superb and exclusive Picanto also score better than Porsche at 140. That will please my wife!

This survey is complete BS.

It is based on a survey of 62,000 clients while close to 17.0m new vehicles were sold last year in the US. The survey rate is 0.36%.

In 2004, Porsche sold 31,500 units in the US, therefore 115 people were surveyed !!!

Is it statistically significant? I'm not sure.

The survey is on "Initial Quality" but ALSO "measures unhappiness with vehicles features"

I'm sure many guys are complaining about the cup-holder size that doesn't accomodate super-size cups and about the size of the trunk of the 996 .... or the fuel economy of a Cayenne Turbo

Also as Dr Phil said the survey isn't weighted by degree of severity of the problem. An engine falling of the car is as bad as the ash tray not willing to close !!!!

I believe the best indicator for quality is the residual value !!!!

In this survey GM claimed top honors in 5 vehicle segments and their cars are a real disaster in terms of residual value !!!!

after looking at this I am not going to buy a Porsche!! Instead I am going to settle for a Kia because it has better quality.

You may be right in terms of the survey accuracy....unfortunately a lot of buyers are influenced by the JD Power's statistics

I can't agree more with you

Now car makers have special dedicated teams to make sure they will perform well in JD Power surveys !!!!

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    after looking at this I am not going to buy a Porsche!! Instead I am going to settle for a Kia because it has better quality.

I'll do you a deal. Buy a nasty, scrappy, unreliable Porsche Carrera 997 S and I will do an immediate no-cost exchange for a superb, well built, reliable Kia Picanto. The Kia is in cobalt blue, as well. AND it has an MP3 player.

Buick?

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    Sorry...here's the chart

yep, the cayenne has done a number on porsche's reputation for quality and has badly hurt good will among otherwise loyal porsche crazy customers. if you have a decent rep with your dealers service dept, they'll tell you all about the headaches the cayenne has caused owing to (poor) quality.

Here it is - the real deal. Eat your heart out, Porsche!

JD Power surveys are very suspect. I just went through the purchasing process on a number of cars. A major upscale Japanese brand dealership went to great lengths to explain how the survey should be answered. They went on to show me that anything less than a pefect score would come back to them and impact the sales persons bonus/commision. In other word, answering the questionaire with anything negative would flag the customer and 'may' affect the future relationship.

The Porsche dealer was very straight and polite and offered no suggestions or recommended way of answering the JD power survey.

From this recent experience, all I can say is that the JD Power survey has become so important to the dealers/Brands that it has become worthless to the consumer if answers are dictated with pseudo threats.

Until the consumer can answer the surveys with a certain degree of confidentiality, they are worthless.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Buick?

Their buyers are so senile , the car could have 50 things failing/falling off and they wouldn't notice.

BTW,Lexus surveys dipped a few years ago after the IS was introduced . Toyota blamed the " pickiness " of it's younger /enthusiast drivers. So I'm sure that applies a bit to Porsche owners , too- some who will bring a car back in 5 times if that rear pillar rattle is not eliminated or if the rear emblem is 1/2 degree off level .( of course my Turbo has been flat bedded four times and almost caught fire one of them )

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

I'll do you a deal. Buy a nasty, scrappy, unreliable Porsche Carrera 997 S and I will do an immediate no-cost exchange for a superb, well built, reliable Kia Picanto. The Kia is in cobalt blue, as well. AND it has an MP3 player.

OMG Mp3 player?!?! I'll give you my Carrera GT for it

Quote:
    iia said:
    But 911 is the 3rd in premium sports car segment in the same study. May be the reason of Cayenne?

Thats exactly the reason.

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    [ I'll give you my Carrera GT for it

It would have to be the right colour for me to consider it - it's my wife's car and you know how important colour can be to a lady

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    This survey is complete BS.

It is based on a survey of 62,000 clients while close to 17.0m new vehicles were sold last year in the US. The survey rate is 0.36%.

In 2004, Porsche sold 31,500 units in the US, therefore 115 people were surveyed !!!

Is it statistically significant? I'm not sure.

The survey is on "Initial Quality" but ALSO "measures unhappiness with vehicles features"

I'm sure many guys are complaining about the cup-holder size that doesn't accomodate super-size cups and about the size of the trunk of the 996 .... or the fuel economy of a Cayenne Turbo

Also as Dr Phil said the survey isn't weighted by degree of severity of the problem. An engine falling of the car is as bad as the ash tray not willing to close !!!!

I believe the best indicator for quality is the residual value !!!!

In this survey GM claimed top honors in 5 vehicle segments and their cars are a real disaster in terms of residual value !!!!

Very well said.....this survey is laughable to anyone w/a common sense understanding of basic statistics......and common sense also predicts that vast majority of serial buyers of new $100K+ cars (the buyers P/Merc really care about) won't waste their time filling out an inane multi-page Powers survey (esp for the crisp, essentially insulting $1 bill JDPwrs includes )...if car sucks, most jaded buyers have enough of a relationship w/dealer and financial resources to quickly sort it out and/or move on to another toy....and mfrs have the warranty claims data...so they have a more real-time view of how reliable their cars really are anyway.....

Would however say residual values can be misleading indicators of quality.....mkt for new $100K+ cars is fairly limited (note how BMW and Lexus have consciously avoided this segment to-date); and mkt for used $100K+ cars is even more dicey....even F w/its deep-money buyer base is very thoughtful in its pricing strategy (F doesn't give away to its dealers the $100K premium over MSRP on each new US 430 to be altruistic to those hard-working, underpaid F dealers )....a brilliantly engineered $150K car w/outstanding quality, daily driver functionality, etc can still have dismal resale value if car's production volumes are too high....

Another issue is that Porsche has introduced so many new models in the past year. It's inevitable that new models will have gremlins but with so many new models in such a short space of time, this is likely to skew the results of any survey making Porsche look relatively worse than other manufacturers.

This thread is a real treat. As I read the comments, I cannot help but to smile and think "oh my their bubble has burst". Rather than take the position "Porsche get your act together" all I see are slings and arrows at what most knowlegeable industry analysis view as the most reliable and accurate survey of its kind.

Hopefully, Porsche does not put its head in the sand as most of you are doing. Porsche needs to improve despite your brain blindfolds.

Nick,

How do you manage to spread sunshine wherever you post?

I would be so nice if not for the whiff of sulfur that comes with it.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Nick,

How do you manage to spread sunshine wherever you post?

I would be so nice if not for the whiff of sulfur that comes with it.

Exactly. I didn't see Ferrari listed. They must be off the chart w/ bad quality.

How recent is that chart? Is it possible that porsche's low rating could be contributed to the fact that they've released countless new models recently. Most car manufacturers take a year or 2 to work out the kinks in new models.

Anybody agree or am I just dreaming this up?

Quote:
    nberry said:Rather than take the position "Porsche get your act together" all I see are slings and arrows at what most knowlegeable industry analysis view as the most reliable and accurate survey of its kind.

Why don't YOU explain then how come Jaguar is better rated than Toyota?

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Exactly. I didn't see Ferrari listed. They must be off the chart w/ bad quality.

I dropped in to my local Ferrari dealer one evening last week, just to look at the pre-owned cars on the forecourt. I was apalled at the quality. Certain components rusty, paint runs, orange peel paint finish, tacky plastic trim, misfitting body panels and interior trim panels misaligned and obviously coming loose.(These were 360 models)! There were a couple of 996 Porsches also there of similar vintage and the difference in build quality was blindingly obvious. I've always hankered after a Ferrari, either 355 or 360, and having driven a 355 for a day a few years back the driving experience is unmatched, but after my humble Boxster I couldn't tolerate the Fiat level of build. Even if the prices were identical.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    This thread is a real treat. As I read the comments, I cannot help but to smile and think "oh my their bubble has burst". Rather than take the position "Porsche get your act together" all I see are slings and arrows at what most knowlegeable industry analysis view as the most reliable and accurate survey of its kind.

Hopefully, Porsche does not put its head in the sand as most of you are doing. Porsche needs to improve despite your brain blindfolds.

Nick is almost right actually. Survey questions and sample notwithstanding, Porsche does need to improve, but not so much its parts, but their design of them. Consider the M96 engine and possible M97 engines replete with intermediate shaft and RMS failures. The Cayenne's strange e gas behaviour has few friends also. This is stuff that Buick could figure out, but ten times as annoying and suspect when Porsche can't get it right.

If Porsche have a problem I believe it could be summed up in one word. Arrogance.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick,

Do you know there are 3 ways to go bankrupt:
    a) Gambling is the fastest
    b) Women, the most pleasurable
    c) Listening to experts is the surest...

So listening to the most knowledgeable industry analyst is certainly EXTREMELY dangerous ....

This being said, it wouldn't hurt if Porsche was improving its overall ranking and if quality was top notch day 1.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690844 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410081 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256160 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235381 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65736 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858758 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775048 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM