Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche reliability

Hi guys. I haven't post lately cause didn't have the spirit for it. My 996 3.4l engine blown 25 days ago. Car had 50.000Km and was always assisted at Porsche dealer.
    To be sincere this was not a total surprise to me, the number of 3.4L and 3.6L engines blow off is much more than you can imagine.

Dealer found sleeves on the oil so recon engine is on it's way from Germany. Wrote a letter to PAG trying to get a fair deal, but they deny any financial help cause my car is out of warranty period long ago. Anyway this a known problem inside Porsche, and they are even making a special price for recon engines. The bill will be round about 10.000 euros with a recon including labour and taxes.

I've made some research, and the number of blown engines on this cars is amazing, I personaly know some 996 guys and even friends who had their engines blown too, that's why this was not a surprise to me. I hope this wont affect Porsche image in a near future, but it will afect for sure the 996 reliability image. Several people in Porsche cars business and many other used car dealers know already that the 3.4l and 3.6L (non GT3 or Turbo) engines have serious reliability issues but soon this will spread among possible buyers. I still love my car but the fact of having a blown engine with 50000Km on the speedo is shocking for a Porsche lover like me.

During all this process of sending letters to Porsche and trying to get a fair deal for both parts I was always treated with respect and I'm sure if my problem was a single case, maybe I would have got some financial help from them, but unfortunetly this was not the case and I will have to suport all the costs alone wish I think it's not fair. By reading the ECU with PST, dealer saw the running hours engine had and if there was any over rev situation ever since car was bought. There has never been any over reved situation since day one, and the engine hours matched the kilometers on the speedo, even so they didn't assume anything which is a shame.

PS - I would like to thank couple members of this forum who tried to help me on my case with their knowledge, no need to tell names, they know who they are

J.Seven

Re: Porsche reliability

I feel you! As you can see I'm also from Portugal (Porto) If theres anything I can help you with, feel free to ask.
    Cheers or should I say... Um abraço!

Hi Kiko, thanks. Please check your email.

J.Seven

quite sad both the 996 reliability issues and that they didn't cover the damages What do you mean with blown engine? I mean, what is the failure? And since the 997 engine is basically the same, do you guys think these problems are not solved? Correct me if I'm wrong but the RMS stuff hasn't been solved yet I believe...

I think J.Seven had bad luck because he didn't buy his car from an official Porsche dealer and maintenance hasn't been done all the time at an official dealer either (correct me if I'm wrong, J.Seven).
    Maybe his sad story, and it is sad because I know J.Seven for a long time now and he is a very passionate Porsche owner, should set an example to others: buy your cars from official dealers with used car warranty, you never know...even if it may cost a few bucks more.
    The used car warranty can be updated each year in many countries, highly recommended.

But I fully agree with J.Seven, Porsche should have covered at least a part of his expenses because RMS issues aren't something strange or very unusual for them.

J.Seven,
    That is not fair IMO, we criticise and make fun of the ///M3 blow-up happy engines but at least BMW stands by their clients and takes responsability. There is no reason or excuse for a 50,000km (30k miles) 911 well kept engine as your should blow up, period. At least Porsche should cooperate in the costs.
    I think Porsche Iberica (Portugal and Spain's importer) plays a mayor role in the way they are carrying the matter, they are not know precisely for customer service or loyalty. Maybe if you were in another country it may be different, like in the RMS issue; in Spain/Portugal if you get an RMS out of warranty its your problem now, in Germany who is known to be very generous or US, they take care of it under good will since its their fault.
    A friend of mine had a MY99 911 cab who's engine blew in the first 6 months BTW, luckyly under warranty.

Best of wishes.

I've seen the new 997 and the 996 and i heard a couple of opinions from porsche test driver and clients, who told me how poor actually the quality is, but the engines are well done. Sounds frightening ? *g* A friend of mine pulled the ashtray out of the cayenne and broke it by mistake, cause it was so breakable.

How can you imagine such a small company is doing 1 billion Euro ebit ? Compare the quality of the 964 and older 911 with the new cars....Okay they newly went bankrupt with their high quality cars, but anyway porsche is good at selling high priced cars with an outstanding reputation )

I really feel bad for you and I think its how it starts in longterm they destroy their good reputation.

Having started with a 993 Targa many many years ago, I think that Porsche quality actually improved over the past years. When there have been problems, they were related to suppliers and sometimes to negligent workers at the factory.

Ask Porsche mechanics who work since the 964 with Porsche cars and they can confirm it: the number and importance of problems has dropped but of course this is no excuse that there still are some problems related to quality issues.
    When I'm thinking about the first 996 Carrera 2 I owned, I get goose bumps...from being scared.
    But with every new Porsche, my experience has been better and better. What I don't like too much: Porsche doesn't seem to take customer complaints too serious, they trust their employees and engineers more than their customers who paid a lot of money for their cars and who drive them every single day.
    Example: I have now 17000 with our Cayenne Turbo, I got the brake discs (little cracks, horrible rubbing, decreasing brake performance at high outside temperatures) exchanged at around 9000(!) km. The throttle reponse is horrible, there is a two second lag from standstill and the gears are always selected too high. Now this guy from Porsche quality department (actually their boss) tells me that my car is fine and they never had complaints. He didn't know how to get rid of me as fast as possible.

Porsche has to trust their customers and to actually "honor" them by listening and helping them.
    J.Seven is a passionate Porsche owner, he had bad luck. The least Porsche could have done is to pay let's say half of the engine or give it away at cost without earning money on it. But I think this would be too customer friendly. Who cares about the customer, shareholders come first (and I bet most of them don't even drive a Porsche ).

J.Seven,

Reading about your experience was really saddening. I hope Porsche does the honourable thing and contributes in whole or at least in part to your repair costs.

Interestingly, if they spend 10,000 Euros, in my view, that's great advertising. If they cover the cost of repairs to your car, you would most likely tell people online how helpful they were. This would attract more people to buy their cars so think of the profits they would make. However, if they refuse to pay, you tell people online how miserly they were. This positively puts some people off buying their cars. I just think their refusal is short-termist and makes poor business sense.

Quote:
    RC said:
    But with every new Porsche, my experience has been better and better. What I don't like too much: Porsche doesn't seem to take customer complaints too serious, they trust their employees and engineers more than their customers who paid a lot of money for their cars and who drive them every single day.

J.Seven is a passionate Porsche owner, he had bad luck. The least Porsche could have done is to pay let's say half of the engine or give it away at cost without earning money on it. But I think this would be too customer friendly. Who cares about the customer, shareholders come first (and I bet most of them don't even drive a Porsche ).

Well said.

Quote:
    Flachzange said:How can you imagine such a small company is doing 1 billion Euro ebit ?

70% of it is made from financial trickery.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    J.Seven,
    That is not fair IMO, we criticise and make fun of the ///M3 blow-up happy engines but at least BMW stands by their clients and takes responsability. There is no reason or excuse for a 50,000km (30k miles) 911 well kept engine as your should blow up, period. At least Porsche should cooperate in the costs.
    I think Porsche Iberica (Portugal and Spain's importer) plays a mayor role in the way they are carrying the matter, they are not know precisely for customer service or loyalty. Maybe if you were in another country it may be different, like in the RMS issue; in Spain/Portugal if you get an RMS out of warranty its your problem now, in Germany who is known to be very generous or US, they take care of it under good will since its their fault.
    A friend of mine had a MY99 911 cab who's engine blew in the first 6 months BTW, luckyly under warranty.

Best of wishes.

My proposal to PAG and to Porsche Ibérica was for them to suport the engine cost and I would pay all the remain costs of this process like labour , fluids and transport of both engines.

I just got the final price of the transplant, and it's 8.700,0. These gyus have the courage to charge me even the parts that cost 12.5 euros like the exhaust pins
    I'll have to waite 5 days for the engine to come from Germany. Can you belive that 10 days ago there was one recon engine there available for immediately fitting, but now it isn't anymore, maybe it has been already been put in another car and this really shows the rate these engines are blowing.

I think RC is right, maybe if I had bought my car at the officcial Porsche dealer, they would have suport some of the amount, at least one of the reasons mention by Porsche was that my car hadn't been bought from their network. Anyway the place where I bought the car is only a burocracy question, the reason for the blow up is a original defect from these engines and unfortunetely many other stories like mine will follow.

Carlos regarding our importer you're 100% right, these guys don't give a damn for their clients, they don't even make me a discount on labour or some other parts because "it's not our policy". Ever since the car is mine, my maintainance was made there (and before it was made at official Porsche dealer, at least it has all the stamps) and they could avaluate my problem on a different view, but no, they are charging me every penny they can, it's simply not fair.

J.Seven

J. Seven, sorry to hear about your car. When you say "blown" engine, exactly what happened?

Quote:
    964C2 said:
    J. Seven, sorry to hear about your car. When you say "blown" engine, exactly what happened?

Without any apparent reason car lost power and check engine light went on. There were no smoke or any strange noise. After the ckeck engine light went on the Oil pressure gauge was reading a bit lower than before. There was also a vibration from the engine.

J.Seven

very sorry for you man, its really disapointing to be betayed by "someone" who you believe in so much..

FANCH very sad news....

Last 2weeks I saw a vid of your 996 and the pse, and know it is blown!!!!..this is very rare and porsche should do something, specially if the car had 50.000kms, they should give financial help, this will not be the last time that we hear this bad news...

Hope all finishes ok for you fanch

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    FANCH very sad news....

Last 2weeks I saw a vid of your 996 and the pse, and know it is blown!!!!..this is very rare and porsche should do something, specially if the car had 50.000kms, they should give financial help, this will not be the last time that we hear this bad news...

???
    What are you talking about Alex?
    Something wrong with my car?
    I can assure you, it is perfectly fine!

haha that was a nice one!!!

Quote:
    J.Seven said:
    I hope this won't affect Porsche image in a near future, but it will affect for sure the 996 reliability image.

As with Mercedes' dwindling reliability and BMW's design arrogance, these defective engines powering the 996, 997, 986, 987, and Cayman, coupled with the Cayenne's problems, have hurt Porsche's image-- or is it an illusion? -- among keen potential and existing customers. A past great company that is now deaf with greed with respect to present customer complaints will also be blind to the writing on the wall. Greed overcomes conscience. PAG would be wise to re-read the tragic tale of Macbeth.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    A past great company that is now deaf with greed with respect to present customer complaints will also be blind to the writing on the wall. Greed overcomes conscience. PAG would be wise to re-read the tragic tale of Macbeth.

Macbeth built cars?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Macbeth built cars?

He was on the verge...until his loving wife had a word with him.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Macbeth built cars?

He was on the verge...until his loving wife had a word with him.

I'm guessing his wife told him that if he wanted to build cars he should get off the verge and onto the road.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    FANCH very sad news....

???
    What are you talking about Alex?
    Something wrong with my car?
    I can assure you, it is perfectly fine!

OOOOOOOOPSSSSS!!!!!!!, I don't know why I got confused with Fanch nick name and your J.Seven....A million sorry's!!! ...(Exams are killing me )

Fanch are you sure your 996 is ok??

Good luck J.Seven

Quote:
    fritz said:
    I'm guessing his wife told him that if he wanted to build cars he should get off the verge and onto the road.

And so he did. Tragically, she sealed their fate, getting oil on her hands and he wound up getting shafted.

Jay,

very sad to hear. Hope you get it all sorted out in the best possible way. So there is in fact no way to rebuild the old engine? What in detail has broken - answer, if you still have the nerve.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Tragically, she sealed their fate, getting oil on her hands and he wound up getting shafted.

Oil, uh? I think I must have read an earlier edition, published in a less politically-correct, more blood-thirsty age.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778238 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442068 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262966 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261233 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85495 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5708 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816555 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM