Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Should I cancel Boxster S order and order a 997 instead?

Ok my fellow helmets, I need your advice:

After test driving both the Boxster S and 911 Carrera Coupe I fell in love with both cars. I wanted the Carrera, but at the time decided on the Boxster S for cost reasons.

I placed my order for a '05 987S on Feb. 14, completion date estimated June 4.

Generously specced:

Slate Grey
    Blk Full leather
    19" Carrera Classic wheels
    Wheel caps
    S/S tailpipe
    Sport Shifter
    PASM
    Sport Chrono wart
    Bi-xenons
    Sport seats
    Heated seats
    Sport steering wheel
    Porsche crest on head restraints

Since then, I've been able to rationalize spending the extra cash to afford a 997 albeit lightly loaded:

'06 Carrera Coupe
    Arctic silver
    18" Carrera III wheels
    Wheel caps
    Std leather sea blue
    Bi-xenons
    Sport shifter
    Rear ctr console in exterior color
    Sport steering wheel

So my thinking is less options, but still "more" car(??).

Now another issue is my dealer is telling me something like a October arrival date for an '06 (which of course will cost a bit more).

What would you folks do? Get the Boxster S due in less than two months, or throw down the extra cash and P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E to get a Carrera Coupe?

Your feedback/opinions greatly appreciated!

Re: Should I cancel Boxster S order and order a 997 instead?

Were it me, the Carrera would be the only option. I would have loved to have spent less on my car, but I just can't get excited by the Boxster. There's a point at which I'm just not a tiny little cute-looking sports-car guy, at ANY price, and the Boxster is kinda past that point for me. So I'd say Carrera. But if you really enjoy and get utility from the roadster, get the Boxster and have more fun for less.

I have a 986 03S. It is a fun car. Top down driving at it's finest. Ordered a 997S. Will probably keep the Boxster. The difference is one is a GT the other is a roadster. Think like that, which is more suited for you: comfort, power, roominess of a GT or cramped, not much luggage, but a teriffic handling car for fun. Forget the waiting thing as a factor; it's meaningless pretty quickly. I can't even remember much "agony" of the wait for my Boxster (and my M3).

Forgot to mention this: at 280 the new Boxster S is getting closer to what some consider it's ideal HP which is around 300. Soooooo, nows the time to get one for sure. Also, as a road car, it is literally declared to be Porsche's "masterpiece" by the guy who wrote the definitive 1500 (15K) page history of Porsche.

I'd stick with what you have got. Trade up to a 997 when you can afford the Turbo. Your Boxster sounds like a great spec - and you will love that colour (I have a Slate Grey 997S).

It seems you are second-guessing your decision to buy the boxster already. You will probably have regrets if you don't get the car you REALLY want. Get the 997! A bigger bite in the pocketbook but NO REGRETS!

Quote:
    GG said:
    It seems you are second-guessing your decision to buy the boxster already. You will probably have regrets if you don't get the car you REALLY want. Get the 997! A bigger bite in the pocketbook but NO REGRETS!

Agree. Now really make it a stretch and go for the "S".

I'd say go for the 997S as well. Sounds like you might wonder 'what if' after you purchase the boxster and wish you had the 911 (its a completely different animal). It was a major league stretch mentally and financially, but I'm happy! You only pass by this place once.

Thanks for your responses so far. All informative if not downright evil lol!

I think I should point out that I will be using this car as my daily driver, putting 15K+ mileage annualy.

The additional cost of the Carrera, plus the fact that my wife likes the convertible option prompted the Boxster S order initially.

I like the extra benefits the Carrera has to offer; I'm just trying to weigh stretching the budget (this will be a cash purchase) as well as having to basically wait out the entire ordering process all over again. Ah, whats another 4-5 months right?

Yes 911Fanatic - I do get those thoughts running through my mind as well......

"this might be your last chance....make it a good one!!!".......

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Agree. Now really make it a stretch and go for the "S".

You might as well make it a fully loaded S. No sense in getting a car and skimping on the options you'll later regret not getting.

just get the base 911. cant regret that

everytime you see a carrera in the road you ll be wondering........what if

whereas in the carrera you will never find yourself missing a boxster believe me................

check my gallery arctic/black

i was to get an arctic/blue interior superb choice i regreted it i didnt go for blue

skip also the short shifter you can have it retrofitted

Downright evil I tell ya!! You guys are making me laugh!

What I guess I should tell you is that I originally planned on spending 50K for this, and now......NOW I've blown that way off the mark and looking at about 82K by the time I drive home with it!

Please! No more tormenting me with the "S"!!! I would love to, but it's just too much.

But come to think of it, after checking the dealer websites, Carrera S's are more readily available, so I could probably get my hands on one at least close to my liking almost immediatly right?............MAN YOU GUYS REALLY ARE EVIL!!!

It's either that or are you Porsche salesmen in disguise? lol

If your wife wants a convertible, go for the Boxster. It is a real large $$ step to the 997 cab and you may not be happy with a coupe.

Phil

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    I wanted the Carrera, but at the time decided on the Boxster S for cost reasons.

This says it all, doesn't it. Plenty of support here for you to do what you really want... get the Carrera... anything else would be compromise, and you'll trade it on a Carrera at some stage anyway.

The Boxster S is a really great car, (I loved the sound and open top experience), but that's not really the point is it...

The wait is agonising at the time, but completely forgotten once the car arrives!! It's well worth it to get what you really want

PS
    Every time I've decided to buy a car for cost reasons, I've sold it in less than 3 mths!

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    Downright evil I tell ya!! You guys are making me laugh!

What I guess I should tell you is that I originally planned on spending 50K for this, and now......NOW I've blown that way off the mark and looking at about 82K by the time I drive home with it!

Please! No more tormenting me with the "S"!!! I would love to, but it's just too much.

But come to think of it, after checking the dealer websites, Carrera S's are more readily available, so I could probably get my hands on one at least close to my liking almost immediatly right?............MAN YOU GUYS REALLY ARE EVIL!!!

It's either that or are you Porsche salesmen in disguise? lol

We're just teasing.

I know when I decided to get a 911, I almost bought a new 2004 996 blk/blk off the lot for about $75K early last year. I thought that was a lot of money. But I decided to wait for the 997 to come out, and then decided the S model was the better pick and then picked my options and then started adding every option in the book as I waited for the car to be built. Before I knew it, I was looking at a $102K car. So, yeah, it can get out of hand when you let it. It's more money for a 911 that I wanted to spend but I'm extremely happy that I got what I wanted. Good luck with your decision.

Yes. Go with the Carrera.

same here, I was planning to spend 80k tops, spent 100k instead...lost a couple nights sleep, and now I'm completely over it. As you drive the car more and more, you really start to appreciate its capabilities and why it has fundamentally stayed the same for over 40 years.

Bite the bullet...you'll be happier in the long run. Certainly won't be wishing you had a boxster instead.

Well, in sunny california, I would probably go for a Carrera Cabriolet or Boxster, not the 997 Coupe.

Have you driven both for a few hours?
    I own a 997 Carrera S and I should say go for the 997 but the Boxster S is fun too. Difficult decision, honestly.

The 911 is THE Porsche sportscar, it may get you more attention and more "respect" and it is fun to have so much power in the rear, a very special drive feel. The mid engine setup of the Boxster S is fun too but of course the 911 is much more powerful. From 0-125 mph, the 997 Carrera (not S!) is about 4 seconds faster.

Tough decision. Maybe you want to go with a "naked" Carrera S and your worries will be over. Or get a 997 Carrera Cabriolet...also "naked", just with full leather. All the other stuff can be retrofitted.

Good luck!

Since you're posting in a Porsche forum you're probably somewhat of a car nut.
    You NEED a Carrera. You KNOW you do.
    I agree w/ Phil and RC..Living in "Sunny California" instead of the S coupe you should go w/a Carrera Cabriolet. (You'll make your wife happy plus you'll get a higher end model )
    You would have a convertible (like the Boxster) but would have a much nicer car with back seats even.
    Because money is a big factor get a low optioned car. Maybe with just Sports Chrono or PASM. Bet if you called around enough you could get into one right away. Look at the Porsche web-site under dealers.

It all depends on what you really wanted in the first place and whether what you really want is going to make life miserable for you on the home front or not. I'll be the voice of reason because some of these guys are really evil!!
    What I want and what i can afford to buy are two totally different things - ideally my garage would have about 10-12 cars in it but for now 3 vehicles in our family is all that is manageable. i could have bought another sports car many moons ago but I've always loved the 911 so i waited patiently. (and still waiting for my may build to be completed and delivered ) My preference was for the look of the 993 because the 996 aesthetically didn't do it for me so when the 997 came out I jumped on it right away. If you've always wanted a Carrera then wait.

Just because you bought the boxster now doesn't mean your stuck with it for life. Have fun with what you have and don't put yourself in a financial crisis because you'll regret that if you have to lose the car 12 months from now for financial reasons. Two three years from now trade up, there'll be lots of 997's around.

Why not take the original 50k and buy a secondhand (certified) 996?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Because money is a big factor get a low optioned car. Maybe with just Sports Chrono or PASM. Bet if you called around enough you could get into one right away. Look at the Porsche web-site under dealers.

Since the cabs have just started arriving, there aren't many that aren't sold cars. And in this area, if a dealer ordered for stock, they usually load them up. So, will it be possible to find a low optioned cab in Southern California that is available? I kind of doubt it. We are coming into cab season. It will be 90 degrees this weekend. Cabs will be flying out the doors of dealerships.

My advice to the original poster, if finances don't allow for a cab, get the well optioned Boxster you ordered. It doesn't mean you can't get a 911 later. My first Porsche was a 914 and I loved it. I have had 3 911's since then.

Phil

Why not take the $50K and buy a new Corvette convertible???............

I'M JOKING! I'M JOKING! I'M JOKING! I'M JOKING!!!!!!

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:

I think I should point out that I will be using this car as my daily driver, putting 15K+ mileage annualy.

The additional cost of the Carrera, plus the fact that my wife likes the convertible option prompted the Boxster S order initially.

I like the extra benefits the Carrera has to offer; I'm just trying to weigh stretching the budget (this will be a cash purchase) as well as having to basically wait out the entire ordering process all over again. Ah, whats another 4-5 months right?

I've got the perfect solution. Circle Imports in Long Beach have a Carrera Cab sitting in the showroom right now. It's white with a grey interior and tip. Someone bailed on it. It sounds like it could be a perfect compromise and something the wifey would go for. Ask for Michelle. Better hurry

The Boxster looks like a 911 anyway! Seriously, that's tough, but for me I'd get the 911. I love the practicallity of the coupe. But on beautiful days I'd miss the Boxster. On second thought get the Boxster. No wait, get the 911. Oh heck, I'm no help.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    I've got the perfect solution. Circle Imports in Long Beach have a Carrera Cab sitting in the showroom right now. It's white with a grey interior and tip. Someone bailed on it. It sounds like it could be a perfect compromise and something the wifey would go for. Ask for Michelle. Better hurry

I don't think he wants a tip. But, if interested, here are the options on the car at Circle:

249 - Tiptronic S
    692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
    680 - Bose High End Sound Package
    C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
    342 - Heated Front Seats
    446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest

Phil

Thank you for informative/entertaining all the replies everyone!

But now I'm even more confused than ever!!

Actually I've found some clarity through reading all of your posts.

I'm afraid anything above a modestly specced 997 Coupe is completely out. We just bought a brand new house and there's still furniture and major landscaping to be done

I did take another look at the website though just to make sure a 'naked' cab could make it within budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

btw, I want a manual shift, and I've given CPO's some thought, but I'd prefer new. CPO will be my last resort.

As of this moment I'm waiting for my dealer to get back to me with allocation information; I want to get a somewhat clear idea of exactly how long it will take. Doesn't the factory close for the entire month of August?

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    MHakkinen said:

Hmmmm, it's appliance white, it's a tip, and Commandant Wife would allow it. And lastly, the word "compromise". I've never heard more tragic and gut-wrenching reasoning to buy a Porsche!!! LOL!!!! WHERE'S MY CHECKBOOK??

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM