Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Should I cancel Boxster S order and order a 997 instead?

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Why not take the $50K and buy a new Corvette convertible???............

AAAARGH!! NEVER!!!

Actually I really hold no ill will towards the "Plastic Fantastic"

That said, the 'Vette just won't make a good fit for me personality-wise. Great performance for the money though. I'm one of those guys that grew up always wanting a "Porsche". After all, there just really is no substitute

Hmmmm, it's appliance white, it's a tip, and Commandant Wife would allow it. And lastly, the word "compromise". I've never heard more tragic and gut-wrenching reasoning to buy a Porsche!!! LOL!!!! WHERE'S MY CHECKBOOK??

HAHAHA! LMAO!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Funny, but the truth is that a loaded C6 convertible is around $60k

If cost is your paramount factor, any decision you make is always going to be a compromise. The way I would decide is to choose my dream car with all the options I REALLY want, then I would ask myself what the shortfall is between the cost and my budget. Then I would just save a bit longer!!

Whichever way you go, hope you decide something so that you don't have any regrets.

Search your feelings, use the force and keep away from the dark side from Modena! Sorry - saw Star Wars 3 today - what a disappointment!

MHakkinen,

It has to be the 997. Every man has to own at least one 911 in his lifetime. Do what I plan to do: Wait for the 997TSCab. It'll satisfy your prereq. of open-top driving, just be sure to remind your wife to keep her seatbelt fastened when she rides with you. By the time the 997TT comes out, you'll easily be able to afford it since you'll have paid off your mortgage and the kids will have finished college-or at least that is how long it feels to me. . . .

Read "Evo" article in April(?) issue

Tested a 987 Boxster S against a base 997. Conclusions (or words to the same effect): if you only ever drive a Boxster S you will be happy. If you test drive a 997 and buy the Boxster S you will always regret your decision and be looking over at the guy in the 997...

Re: Read "Evo" article in April(?) issue

I think 997 with PASM with just little stuff is the best deal. Good sport and very smooth right combination. Am I only one that wish rear window could open as hatch back?

They are making very good deals on 996 C4S at the moment ( at least over here).... What about that option?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

Funny, but the truth is that a loaded C6 convertible is around $60k

C'mon Grant, it's a GM!!! After you take the rebate, the "Spring Fling Bonus Cash", turn in your GM Mastercard bonus dollars, get the extra $500-$1000 bucks bonus for financing through GM credit, and negotiate the price to Dealer Invoice plus $500 bucks........... you're around $50 grand!!!!

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    Quote:
    69bossnine said:

AAAARGH!! NEVER!!!

Actually I really hold no ill will towards the "Plastic Fantastic"

That said, the 'Vette just won't make a good fit for me personality-wise. Great performance for the money though. I'm one of those guys that grew up always wanting a "Porsche". After all, there just really is no substitute

1] the boxster S rocks. i wouldnt bother with the 997 until the gt3 hits

2] i've owned 35 or 40 porsches and I ordered a Z06, 3 in fact; it has gt2 performance for 1/3 the cost. this is the first time a vette got my hand to write a cheque

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    buy the Boxster S you will always regret your decision and be looking over at the guy in the 997...

There IS some truth to this, though not maybe what Le Chef intended.

When at a light with a 911, my Boxster feels like a toy which I bought because I couldn't save up enough allowance to buy a "real" Porsche.

No, Sh*t, I admit it! when youre sitting next to the real thing you start to wonder.

The 997 has a DEFINITE physical presence that the Boxster will never have.

For sunny CA, I'd save for a 911cab.

Quote:
    watt said:

1] the boxster S rocks. i wouldnt bother with the 997 until the gt3 hits

Good point, watt.

MHakkinen,

Testdrive a base 997 and 987 S again for a longer time period back-to-back on the same route:

First, set the OEM tire pressures and put both cars through their paces on the same road under the same conditions.

Second, ask yourself one question: Do I want mid-engined or rear-engined handling? Keep testdriving until you definitely prefer one type over the other.

Finally, make your decision regardless of the waiting periods associated with either car.

Great replies all of you. I mean GREAT. Thank you.

I've been gone for the last few days (prepping the new house for move in - yipee!).

I also gave it some deep thought, read all of your responses, and did some financial resource soul searching.

I've decided to go with the 987 as specced above, and perhaps may add PASM as well. Now the only issue is the wait:

OCT/NOV

Save for the need of a time machine, I've accepted the additional agony, but am currently looking forward to what I feel is ultimately the right decision.

Thanks to everyone on the Rennteam forum for your guidance; I will keep you posted as this project progresses.

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    I've decided to go with the 987 as specced above, and perhaps may add PASM as well. Now the only issue is the wait:

OCT/NOV

??? You're going with the boxster? You mean the 997, right?

Boxster???? 997 all the way!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    MHakkinen said:

OCT/NOV

??? You're going with the boxster? You mean the 997, right?

Doh! Yes 997

Man, just wait for the 997 Targa then - assuming there will be one!

Any news on this anyone ?

Excellent advice

go go go right choice!!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    For sunny CA, I'd save for a 911cab.

I do not know why so many people prefer the cab in sunny Cali. I remember when I had my 914, I always roasted with the roof off. Go with the 997 coupe, it is a 911 and a 911 is the Porsche you have always wanted.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    I do not know why so many people prefer the cab in sunny Cali. I remember when I had my 914, I always roasted with the roof off. Go with the 997 coupe, it is a 911 and a 911 is the Porsche you have always wanted.

I have had a 914, a 993 coupe, a 996 cab and now a 997S cab. I could not go back to a coupe. You cannot compare a 914 to a 911 cab. The wind would beat you to death in the 914 because of the rear window that was a few inches from the back of your head. And most 914's had either a horrible under-dash air conditioner or no air conditioner.

Todays cabs are well engineered. I find my cab with the top down to be less noisy at highway speeds than the noise in many coupes with the sun roof open. A cab is the way to go in warmer climates. I can use it as a convertible the bulk of the year with only a few days that are too cold or too hot to go topless. We used the 997S cab this weekend and it was in the 90's. It was great.

Each to their own and I respect those who like the look of the coupe better. But from a pure functional standpoint, you cannot beat a cab. It allows you to have a convertible and with either the soft-top or removeable hardtop it makes a nice "coupe" when you want or need it.

Phil

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

I have had a 914, a 993 coupe, a 996 cab and now a 997S cab. I could not go back to a coupe. You cannot compare a 914 to a 911 cab. The wind would beat you to death in the 914 because of the rear window that was a few inches from the back of your head. And most 914's had either a horrible under-dash air conditioner or no air conditioner.

Todays cabs are well engineered. I find my cab with the top down to be less noisy at highway speeds than the noise in many coupes with the sun roof open. A cab is the way to go in warmer climates. I can use it as a convertible the bulk of the year with only a few days that are too cold or too hot to go topless. We used the 997S cab this weekend and it was in the 90's. It was great.

Each to their own and I respect those who like the look of the coupe better. But from a pure functional standpoint, you cannot beat a cab. It allows you to have a convertible and with either the soft-top or removeable hardtop it makes a nice "coupe" when you want or need it.

Phil

Well said PS CA!

I do love the lines of the coupe. However, for sunny regions the cab is my preference. Heck you can't go wrong with either choice- they're both knockouts!!!!!!

The 997 Cab w/ optional hardtop would be a perfect solution; 'everyone's happy' including "commadant Wife"!

However, since this I started out with only a 50K budget, a bare-bones 997 Coupe for 81K O.T.D. is the absolute maximum I can do at this point in time. Brand new house, needs landscaping, new furniture, etc. We're also trying to start a family, so I neeeed to get this car in the garage asap! I'm sure there are a few married guys out there that can relate

Even as such, this car in this configuration is an absolute dream come true for me; so few things stir as much emotion as the anticipation of having my very own Porsche 911 to drive everyday

MHakkinen,

Starting a family is all the more reason to stick with the 997 (over the 987)-you'll be able to put the kids in the back seat!

I just cancelled a Boxster order, and passed up the Cayman for a 997S and I am happy I did so (I had a 986S). The handling and aesthetics of the 987 are incredible, but the 997 is the complete car -- more visceral and more relaxing at the same time, just as precise as the Boxster, much more entertaining the faster you go. To me, the Boxster is perhaps a bit more fun on the really slow turns.

You'll be happy that you made that decision. Congratulations.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    vtrader said:

Phil

Well if was close to 90 this last Friday and it was too hot even to have the sunroof open and air conditioning on the 997 going full blast. As soon as the sun entered the car from the sunroof, I started to bake again, just like the old days with the 914. I could just imagine how uncomfortable it would have been with a cab. A coupe any day over a cab plus its a better handling car than a cab.

vtrader you got the 997 with carrera S right? could i see some pics?

It also depends on where you live doesn't it... If I lived in a hot place, sunset cruises are nice with the cab down. Like phil said, at least it's there when you need it

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762396 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435331 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260505 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257559 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872249 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807618 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM