Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Some interesting quotes from Jay Leno on paddle flipping

Quote:
    brunner said:

No.
    By this logic, he should CRITICISE a sports car equipped with an automatic transmission, which he does.
    He doesn't say "I will never buy a paddle-shift car", does he?

Are you kidding? By any reasonable logic... you don't buy something that you don't like, period.

It's like saying: I hate the Lakers, I hate the Lakers and then go out and buy season tickets for the Lakers, because, you live in LA.

And I don't know Jay Leno to dislike the guy. I just think he doesn't know what he's saying sometimes when it comes to cars.

I just don't see the problem. A sportcar is not just a tranny is it? therefore the car may not have the tranny you like but other aspects may make it appealing enough for you to buy it.

If I were in the market for a sport-sedan as an extra car I would probably buy the M5, yet its got a "granny shift" as Ben calls them , but I would still go for it inspite of the SMG-III sequential becuause its the best performing and sportiest in its class. Does this mean I don't know what I'm saying?

Jay likes the overall package of the SLR more than what he dislikes the auto, and he has plenty of other manual cars in his garage to fill up that need. I personally like the Challenge Stradale package for a weekend car inspite of its paddles, yet if given the choice I would take it manual, but even without the choice the car itself compensates over the paddles.

I take it you don't like Seinfeld either, he thinks just like Jay and owns CGT too (along with his huge Porsche collection)

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I just don't see the problem. A sportcar is not just a tranny is it?

Ironic question. If you ask Jay that, he'd say: "Always get the stick"

He mentioned he would've paid anything to have a stickshift in the SLR. I didn't get the impression he was a hypocrit, just someone who collects MANY sports cars but prefers a manual.

I thought it was funny when he likened buying a sports car with an automatic to "having a mistress who can cook. You're not going over there to have dinner..."

Quote:
    Danny G said:

I thought it was funny when he likened buying a sports car with an automatic to "having a mistress who can cook. You're not going over there to have dinner..."

That's what I mean. Statements like that are the reasons why I think he's clueless with what he's saying.

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    He mentioned he would've paid anything to have a stickshift in the SLR.

Maybe he should take up Jerry Seinfeld's idea; quote from an article of his about the CGT:

"Paddle shift? Snap out of it, brother. You want to interact with this thing in every posible way you can. If I couldn't shift this car, I'd ask for some kind of optional attachment so I can mount myself the hood like an elk. If pedestrians asked any questions, I'd tell them, " what does it look like? I bagged myself."

The manual shift crowd always seems to be more insistent than we paddlers. The urgency of your cries is genetic: thousands upon thousands of years ago your ancestors sat shivering outside the cave, away from the fire, preferring, to paraphrase Jerry, to interact with the winter in every possible way they could. Many died interacting with Mastodons in every possible way they could, preferring bare hands to spears. It's great some of you survived!

Ah, the beautiful purity and simplicity of the old ways. What I don't understand is, how have you connected your manual typewriters to the internet?

Cheers!

There you have it, the difference is that winter, Mastondons and typing is not a pleasurable activety so you don't want to interact with them, but those who consider driving a pleasurable experience and not just a means of transport, preffer to interact with it as much as posible, the more inteaction the more fun Let me put it another way, do you prefer sex with a condom or without it?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    There you have it, the difference is that winter, Mastondons and typing is not a pleasurable activety so you don't want to interact with them, but those who consider driving a pleasurable experience and not just a means of transport, preffer to interact with it as much as posible, the more inteaction the more fun Let me put it another way, do you prefer sex with a condom or without it?

I would prefer Britney Spears with condom than Camilla Parker without

Anytime Patriek, anytime!

Quote:
    WCH said:
    The manual shift crowd always seems to be more insistent than we paddlers. The urgency of your cries is genetic: thousands upon thousands of years ago your ancestors sat shivering outside the cave, away from the fire, preferring, to paraphrase Jerry, to interact with the winter in every possible way they could. Many died interacting with Mastodons in every possible way they could, preferring bare hands to spears. It's great some of you survived!

Ah, the beautiful purity and simplicity of the old ways. What I don't understand is, how have you connected your manual typewriters to the internet?

Cheers!

LOL !

Quote:
    Patriek said:

Quote:
    WCH said:

Cheers!

Now you're just confusing productivity with enjoyment. Surely anyone wanting to guarantee perfect shifts 100% of the time would pick the paddle shifter. But people like Carlos are shifting for fun, not to out run a T-rex rapidly growing in the rear view mirror.

Now if you have more fun paddle shifting, then you just get a double bonus.

Hell, those things aren't even real sequential boxes. Would like to see a race car for the road with one of those.

- J

Quote:
    Patriek said:

That is an invalid comparison. We are are really talking here about Britney Spears with a condom (automatic shift) as compared with Britney Spears without a condom (manual), and bringing a worn out old Land Rover Defender into the argument is just a distraction!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

No.
    By this logic, he should CRITICISE a sports car equipped with an automatic transmission, which he does.
    He doesn't say "I will never buy a paddle-shift car", does he?

Are you kidding? By any reasonable logic... you don't buy something that you don't like, period.

It's like saying: I hate the Lakers, I hate the Lakers and then go out and buy season tickets for the Lakers, because, you live in LA.

Wow, you're quite the b&w kinda guy aren't you? Do you have the PERFECT job? Is your wife without flaws too? Sorry, but nothing's perfect. We all have to make compromises and thus we buy, marry, and work at places that represent the best combination of attributes that are most important to us better than another alternative. I can't agree with your extremism on Jay Leno but I'll admit, I'm not perfect.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Wow, you're quite the b&w kinda guy aren't you? Do you have the PERFECT job? Is your wife without flaws too? Sorry, but nothing's perfect. We all have to make compromises and thus we buy, marry, and work at places that represent the best combination of attributes that are most important to us better than another alternative. I can't agree with your extremism on Jay Leno but I'll admit, I'm not perfect.

What does being perfect or not being perfect having to do with it? Leno is always preaching about the stick shift as the be all end all of transmissions for sporsts cars. He says that on interviews, and writes that in numerous magazine articles.
    So, when he knocks the paddle shifts, because, of the electronic aid and then go out and buys an SLR with an automatic, I find that to be totally inconsistent. Afterall, nobody is making him buy and SLR and it's not like he needs and SLR to add to his extensive garage queen collection. Therefore, asking someone to practice what they preach is not extreme in any way.

But, just because he's a hero of yours doesn't mean you have to take offense at me for disagreeing with him.

Coincidently, I was watching the Tonight Show last night with Glen Close as guess. She asked Jay about getting a car for herself and Jay's response was: "get a corvette convertible and make sure its a stick." Yeah, stick...stick to comedy Jay!

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

What does being perfect or not being perfect having to do with it? Leno is always preaching about the stick shift as the be all end all of transmissions for sporsts cars. He says that on interviews, and writes that in numerous magazine articles.
    So, when he knocks the paddle shifts, because, of the electronic aid and then go out and buys an SLR with an automatic, I find that to be totally inconsistent. Afterall, nobody is making him buy and SLR and it's not like he needs and SLR to add to his extensive garage queen collection. Therefore, asking someone to practice what they preach is not extreme in any way.

that's because the SLR isn't really a sports car (sorry but sports cars don't have automatic trannies, electronic brakes, and weight in excess of 3700 lbs), and i highly doubt he uses it as such. the thing might turn a fairly decent lap or two (for a supercar) but those brakes and tires are just not gonna take that weight much longer than that before serious fade and slick traction arrives. just like it's daddy, the 4400+ lb SL65 achieves similar acceleration times and it'd be hard to call that automatic, electronic braked, porker a sports car too. at least the SL65 is a nice and comfy street car (w/ a convertible top).

as for leno's opinion re: sticks and paddles - who gives a $hit. why is his opinion any more meaningful than that of any other enthusiast? i've not seen leno win or even compete in too many racing events and am sure a large number of us (maybe even a couple of the paddle guys - hehe) here could likely whip his butt on the track in similar cars.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:

as for leno's opinion re: sticks and paddles - who gives a $hit.

I've made it abundantly clear that I don't. But, the Jay Leno fan club seem to think his opinion matters.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

I've made it abundantly clear that I don't. But, the Jay Leno fan club seem to think his opinion matters.

fwiw, that wasn't directly at you specifically. i've got to agree that it's pretty silly to base ones decision on what they enjoy out of a car on the opinion of "anyone" (especially some celebrity - even if an enthusiast).

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

I'd say Leno's opinion on this subject matters just as much as the F1 paddle fans who troll this board.

"the F1 paddle fans"

That's "Paddlasques" to you, stick yanker.

"I would prefer Britney Spears with condom than Camilla Parker without"

The Bentley CGT has paddles and an auto and I think some sort of tiptronic (it's my wife's car, I never drive it); my head hurts trying to work that into the Britney/CPB image.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690784 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410036 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256138 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235371 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858703 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775003 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM