Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Windows down in the morning

Found my 997S with the windows down this morning The car is stored in an alarm protected garage in the house . No alarm went off , no low battery and no error codes though. I left the car with windows up the day before .
    Anybody else had this also ?
    Cheers !

Re: Windows down in the morning

keep in mind that if you keep pressing the lock/unlock button in your remote key the windows go all the way down.

Were you windows all the way down?

Maybe someone or you playing with your key?

Oh my God, pleeeese let it be something YOU did.

I can't bear these stories of the car going nuts doing weird stuff because of software glitches!

Please let me sleep a little longer thinking the car is just a physical mechanical contrivance and won't "crash" like my PC because of a pile of misplaced electrons. Next thing you know cars will get a virus!

lol MMD,

Well I know with the cabs, if you put the roof up using the key, the windows don't come up, so I don't know if yours is a cab or coup, so if it was a cab, you must have just accidentally pressed the button on your key. hope that helps

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Mike my car is a coup.
    Dilinger , the windows were down all the way. I've just tried the trick with the key. When I unlock the car and keep pushing the button , then the windows go down that's correct. It won't work when you lock the car.

We made a trip the day before and locked the car as usual . So I have a witness that the windows were closed. After that I was alone in the house and did not play with the key.
    Also I never had both windows all the way down ever now that I think about it.
    Car is 7 months old and 5000km / sport chrono/ -20mm suspension.
    Great car otherwise !

I had the same problem. I left the car locked and i found it with windows down after 10 minutes.

I''ll check this out next week at my dealer.

This cropped up from time to time with the 996's
    it was attributed to the ghost of Ferry Porsche
    on the 996 it was just one window. both windows would be due to the new and improved 997

I've had this three times now. Interestingly I also had it on an audi TT and discovered it was due to me unknowingly pressing the remote buttons when I sat down with the key in my pocket. I make a point of taking the keys out of my pocket now - guess what the problem is fixed! May just be coincidence.....

Quote:
    stewart997 said:
    I've had this three times now. Interestingly I also had it on an audi TT and discovered it was due to me unknowingly pressing the remote buttons when I sat down with the key in my pocket. I make a point of taking the keys out of my pocket now - guess what the problem is fixed! May just be coincidence.....

That's what happened to me too
    Keys in my pocket, car in the drive way
    One time trunk was opened
    one time the windows were partly opened (must have pushed the key to open the cabrioletroof...
    I found out the remote control has a big range

I haven't experienced the window problem. I do however seem to open the front trunk on a regular basis. I'm assuming I push the button when handling the keys or it gets pushed while in my pocket. I think the entire key is a dumb design. I like the design of the Mercedes key better. One button to lock, one button to unlock and a truck button that requires more than just a brief tap to open. With the Porsche key, if you are not certain if you locked it you cannot just hit the button one more time, since that could unlock the locked door.

Phil

Hey MMD, I'll give you a few to start working the beads wilst you wait. When I got my 997S the interior lights would not go out until I locked the car. Now they work fine. My rear wiper wipes if I use the winshield washer while in reverse but not in forward. Only happens occasionally. Occasionally my tail lights and parking lights come on if I open the passenger door.

I think I need to get a priest for an exorcism

I get the same issue from time to time where the hood opens seemingly without me having pressed the key. Also, anyone have their alarm go off for no reason whatsoever? Ive had this a few times when the car is just sitting in the garage.

I haven't had the alarm go off, but I did have a cool call from the alarm company once saying that the cars motion detector had sensed abnormal movement. I was away from home and they were able to say it was still at my address!
    It was a false alarm caused by me slamming the garage door on my way out I think.

Gee ! Pretty sensitive !
    Don't speak too loud, also...

Quote:
    baboo said:
    Hey MMD, I'll give you a few to start working the beads wilst you wait. When I got my 997S the interior lights would not go out until I locked the car. Now they work fine. My rear wiper wipes if I use the winshield washer while in reverse but not in forward. Only happens occasionally. Occasionally my tail lights and parking lights come on if I open the passenger door.

I think I need to get a priest for an exorcism

Better check with your dealer first whether using an exorcist might invalidate your warranty!

I have had the alarm go off twice while the car was parked in my locked garage. It turned out I left my cell/mobile phone in the car. When the phone rang, the alarm went off.

I have also had my trunk pop open while I was in a restaurant. The keys were in my pocket and when I sat down, it caused my trunk to open (50+ feet from the car).

At least until now, all my gremlins have been traced to my own ignorance of the car. But I must say that not being able to keep my phone on and in the car is pain in the ...

Quote:
    JohnA said:
    I haven't had the alarm go off, but I did have a cool call from the alarm company once saying that the cars motion detector had sensed abnormal movement. I was away from home and they were able to say it was still at my address!
    It was a false alarm caused by me slamming the garage door on my way out I think.

John -- I don't have my 97S 'til July so maybe this is common knowledge among current owners-- but what *alarm company* notified you of the disturbance to your car? thanks

I had a 2001 MB C class (1st year of production) that had this intermittent window issue. Around 10 times, the driver's window wouldn't go down using the inside window switch. It would be fine one day, not work another and then suddenly be cured. Three times, I parked the car and would return to find the sunroof open and/or the rear windows open although the car would remain locked. Of course these things NEVER happen when you bring the car to the dealer and they could never find a fault code. Luckily it was a lease and I let them keep the car at the end. It soured me on Benz quality. I wonder if MB and Porsche use the same window electrics suppliers.

Ah, the cellphone trick. That might explain my alarm going off as I regularly leave the phone in the car overnight so I can escape work!

Ahhh... now I've had the car unlock it's doors... by itself... twice ! Once I returned to the car to find the doors unlocked.... and once I was standing next to it with the key in my pocket and it unlocked itself ! and did a two-beep thing on the horn to do it ! (bear in mind there is no two-beep horn thing on this car).

Also the service manager at the dealership said this was something they had experienced whilst talking to a customer while standing next to the car ??

Anyone else found this one ?

Ever returned to your car to find it un-locked ??

So ghost in the machine ?

Damian
    The alarm company was TRACKER ( web page ), I think they were the first to offer a radio locator in your car activated by a phone call to them, and they equipped all UK police forces with the receiver/locator. This is now not ususally enough and you have to have a GPS locator /monitor on the car as well, there are about 5 companies doing it in the UK, but I thnik Tracker still have the largest market share.
    I know you know the system as soemthing different in the USA, but I cannot recall what--Sorry

OMG I found my trunk lid was open today. I thought this thing never happen to me. I think no one played with the key. I hope it don't happen while I'm driving it.

Quote:
    tori said:
    OMG I found my trunk lid was open today. I thought this thing never happen to me. I think no one played with the key. I hope it don't happen while I'm driving it.

Well, the safety latch will prevent anything bad from happening while driving, should the trunk accidently pop open.

Mine did the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a prob with a window leak and used the key in the door method to reset the window. The guy at Porsche didnt say you would have to manually put both back up and I missed the one that was on the passenger side.

It was pouring with rain and the car was soaked. It dried out ok luckily but what a pane. No alarm went off!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763060 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435686 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260691 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257683 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80988 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872583 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808025 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM