Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: The transformation is now complete. Out with the manual

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said: Though you can do reverse going uphill, it does put addtional strain on the F1 clutch. Again no different than a manual.

how much does a burnt clutch on the F1 go for these days?

$4500

Hey nberry when is the F430 going to be in?I'm excited to here your impressions.I really wanted to get a 430 but can't wait 4 years, so I put in an order for an 06 DB9.Once I get it in late Oct. I will give pics and impressions.

Quote:
    nberry said:As always you did miss understand. It is because you are so intent on finding fault in a Ferrari. Though you can do reverse going uphill, it does put addtional strain on the F1 clutch. Again no different than a manual.

Did you see Zzooba's posting that while in motion his F1 transmission went into neutral and wouldn't engage again until he flicked the paddles several times? Haven't heard of a manual doing that. Maybe he hasn't mastered the F1 the same way you have or then again, maybe it's a bad idea to mix so much electronic trickery into the drivetrain before it's fully tested and has some sort of back up system. I'm not a fan of e-brakes either like MBenz uses but at least they still work in case the electronics fail. What's Plan B when the F1 goes on the fritz and you're on the track at speed?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:how much does a burnt clutch on the F1 go for these days?

$4500

ben,

is it truly that cheap? is there a timing belt replacement required at owner's expense in the strad?

Quote:
    faxon said:
    Hey nberry when is the F430 going to be in?I'm excited to here your impressions.I really wanted to get a 430 but can't wait 4 years, so I put in an order for an 06 DB9.Once I get it in late Oct. I will give pics and impressions.

I take delivery next Weds. the 18th.

The DB9 is a fabulous car and would be my second choice. It is drop dead gorgeous. Recent reviews in British magazines rave about the car. Also, US car magazines were very impressed. You will not be sorry.

Watt the cost for F1 clutch replacement is $4500. The cost for manual is the same. At 30,000 a comprehensive service is done on the 360/Stradale. I am told the cost is around $5000-7500.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    faxon said:

At 30,000 a comprehensive service is done on the 360/Stradale. I am told the cost is around $5000-7500.

that's about the cost for the 15k too. it's also a 15k or 2 o 3 yr deal - whichever comes first. usually the time requirement is the triggering factor rather than the mileage.

You must be so excited!!!Be sure to post pics and impressions.

Quote:
    faxon said:
    You must be so excited!!!Be sure to post pics and impressions.

i think (or at least hope) my starbucks intake is about to increase

ben,I thought that nberry had mentioned in another thread that you have actually already driven the new F430.If I got that right, what did you think?Also have any of you driven the DB9?Thanks

Compared to just 10 years ago, when Ferrari 348s were a step ( or two ) behind on technology compared to other sports cars, they have been moving forward at an admirable pace since then and are producing cars with segment leading tech now , but this is the down side, as any recent MBZ owner can attest to with the very public finger pointing between Seimens and MBZ over the foibles of the past few years. But there isn't any turning back, as I can see, for any modern high end car from a market standpoint. ( Well maybe I'm wrong - I've heard MBZ is dumping problem plagued Sensotronic braking on the new S-class )

Quote:
    faxon said:
    ben,I thought that nberry had mentioned in another thread that you have actually already driven the new F430.If I got that right, what did you think?Also have any of you driven the DB9?Thanks

no, i just rode balls out around a track in one. it was pretty new and i'm just wierd about driving other peoples cars that way. driving well below the limits in someone elses car is one thing, but i'm not going to learn anything meaningful about a car that way or have much fun.

Hi faxon,
    To me the choice is pretty clear cut, having some experience with Aston Martins. Haven't driven the F430, but to me one can be considered a sports car and the other can only be considered a GT. What kind of driving do you like to do?

- J

Justin,

I really do prefer the F430 because of the true sportscar feel,but couldn't wait 3 or more years to get it.The only other car that really does for me is the Db9.What are your impressions of the Astons?

Some interesting quotes from Jay Leno on paddle flipping

"I put the paddle-shifter up there with talking cars of the 1980s ('The door is ajar! Fasten your seatbelt!') - totally superfluous. If I choose to downshift at the wrong time, that's my choice. I'd like to be able to do that! For the same reason I don't always eat healthily. If a doctor hands me an apple, that's fine: I know the apple is better for me, but sometimes I want a slice of pizza. "

"The other annoying thing about these electronic gearboxes is that they are better than we are. You can pretend when you paddle-shift manually that you can do it better and more efficiently than the electronics. Maybe Michael Schumacher can, but you can't. Not really. You can play with the paddle-shifter but you really are only playing with it. You get the sense that the electronic brain is saying: "Are you through fooling around now?" Cars like these don't need you."

more here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/features-2005/leno-columns/boxing-clever.html

Re: Some interesting quotes from Jay Leno on paddle flipping

well ,i have been driving my 02 360 f1 for 6 months now ,and all i can say is that i really like it ,and i would surelly go for f1 if i get a 430 ,i am satisfied from all points of view ,performance ,experience ,pleasure etc.. and even if it means burning a clutch every 20000km ,i am fine with it its 3000usd to replace , i wont drive more than 20000km each year ,and i am ready to spend them for this amount of pleasure once a year . and as we say over her here " when you want to get drunk ,you dont count the glasses.. "

Quote:
    faxon said:
    Justin,

I really do prefer the F430 because of the true sportscar feel,but couldn't wait 3 or more years to get it.The only other car that really does for me is the Db9.What are your impressions of the Astons?

Sorry for the late reply. Hard for me to fully comment on the DB9, as I have not wrung it out by myself and have not really pushed it hard enough to expose any flaws.

Astons are fantastic in their own way, but very different from Ferraris IMO. In the DB9, you get the feeling you are in a gentleman's grand tourer. The engine sounds fantastic and has plenty of torque. It handles well for its size, but you will not be able to keep with a Ferrari F430 in the curves most likely. Stereo is nice and the car is very comfortable. Brakes are pretty good, but I wonder if they are good enough to stand up to heavy use during downhill mountain driving. It's not that kind of car though, so you probably won't have to worry about it. The gearbox is good for an automatic, but it's not a manual.

Haven't driven the F430 obviously, so these are more just general philosophy differences between Ferrari and Aston. Performance wise, Aston will never really provide a lot of bang for the buck. You pay for the experience of it.

Personally, if I wanted to do some straight line blasting and some road trips, I'd go with the DB9. Unfortunately, I love sports cars and seek out twisty roads whenver I can, so I would go with the F430. This despite the DB9 being much more beautiful, elegant, and classy (IMO).

- J

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    "I put the paddle-shifter up there with talking cars of the 1980s ('The door is ajar! Fasten your seatbelt!') - totally superfluous. If I choose to downshift at the wrong time, that's my choice. I'd like to be able to do that! For the same reason I don't always eat healthily. If a doctor hands me an apple, that's fine: I know the apple is better for me, but sometimes I want a slice of pizza. "

"The other annoying thing about these electronic gearboxes is that they are better than we are. You can pretend when you paddle-shift manually that you can do it better and more efficiently than the electronics. Maybe Michael Schumacher can, but you can't. Not really. You can play with the paddle-shifter but you really are only playing with it. You get the sense that the electronic brain is saying: "Are you through fooling around now?" Cars like these don't need you."

more here: http://www.channel4.com/4car/feature/features-2005/leno-columns/boxing-clever.html

Jay should be thanking F1'ers. The self proclaimed more skillful stick shifting public wouldn't feel as boy racer macho if it weren't for the paddleshift.

I love pizza too but I don't order it when I'm dining in a fine restaurant

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

Jay should be thanking F1'ers. The self proclaimed more skillful stick shifting public wouldn't feel as boy racer macho if it weren't for the paddleshift.

I love pizza too but I don't order it when I'm dining in a fine restaurant

Jay Leno is a boner. He doesn't like paddle shifting, because, he prefers to do the shifting himself? Then why the hell does he buy a fully automatic like the SLR?? Helllllo?

Because he can?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Because he can?

He makes $25 million a year being a "funny man." Of course he can afford to buy any car. He's has over 200 garage queens. Some of them are worth millions. You missed the point.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Because he can?

He makes $25 million a year being a "funny man." Of course he can afford to buy any car. He's has over 200 garage queens. Some of them are worth millions. You missed the point.

The point you seem to have missed is that the SLR is only available as an automatic. He wanted an SLR more than he didn't want an automatic.

He's also a really nice guy. In 1987 (before he had the Tonight Show)I saw him do stand up. He performed at my college in CT. I got there early and sat first row. I had an issue of Cycle World with me because there was a commical article and pictures with his classic Brough Superior.(same bike from the show on American Chopper). When he walked on stage I asked him to sign the magazine. He politely gave me the brush off, saying "later,later". An hour later when he finished the bit he pointed to me and waved for me to follow him up on the stage and walked me back stage. He took out a pen and started asking me what bikes I like etc. As he was signing my mag he asked what my mother thought of me riding motorcycles. I said she hates it and he replies "Mother Leno hates them too" lol !. I really couldn't believe he remembered I wanted an autograph after an hour long performance. I framed the article and have it hanging in my den.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    He's also a really nice guy. In 1987 (before he had the Tonight Show)I saw him do stand up. He performed at my college in CT. I got there early and sat first row. I had an issue of Cycle World with me because there was a commical article and pictures with his classic Brough Superior.(same bike from the show on American Chopper). When he walked on stage I asked him to sign the magazine. He politely gave me the brush off, saying "later,later". An hour later when he finished the bit he pointed to me and waved for me to follow him up on the stage and walked me back stage. He took out a pen and started asking me what bikes I like etc. As he was signing my mag he asked what my mother thought of me riding motorcycles. I said she hates it and he replies "Mother Leno hates them too" lol !. I really couldn't believe he remembered I wanted an autograph after an hour long performance. I framed the article and have it hanging in my den.

Jay always does the MC duties at the Pebble Beach Concours and he is really funny and friendly at that event too (even though he's much more famous and a zillionaire now...)

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:
    Because he can?

The point you seem to have missed is that the SLR is only available as an automatic. He wanted an SLR more than he didn't want an automatic.

Really? I had no idea the SLR was only available in an automatic. Come on. As I said, Jay Leno can afford any car he wants, but, an interesting fact is: He's Italian and he brags about it every chance he get on his show, and he a certified car nut. Having said that, I find it very interesting that he doesn't own any Ferraris. There's something wrong with this picture.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

He might have been a nice guy in '87, but, he didn't get the 'Tonight Show' because he a nice guy.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

He might have been a nice guy in '87, but, he didn't get the 'Tonight Show' because he a nice guy.

Actually, that's exactly why he got the show.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Actually, that's exactly why he got the show.

Sure...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Jay Leno is a boner. He doesn't like paddle shifting, because, he prefers to do the shifting himself? Then why the hell does he buy a fully automatic like the SLR?? Helllllo?

If you read the article you'd see that he in fact complains that the SLR is only available as an automatic. The article is actually about the Carrera GT which he raves about. He said it's the best shifting car he's ever driven. He also said that the McLaren F1 was a great car to drive - he loved it's MANUAL transmission and still said that the CGT was better. Granted, it's just one guy's opinion but a guy who nonetheless could have any car he wants (and whatever he can't get from a manufacturer, he has his own garage to build him whatever he wants). He's driven lots of cars and is in a really good position to offer an objective opinion on what he thinks. To each his own, true, but the original theme of this thread "The manual is dead." is clearly without merit.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:

If you read the article you'd see that he in fact complains that the SLR is only available as an automatic.

In politics that would be called spinning.

Again, my point is: He criticized the paddle shift, because of it's electronic aid. Therefore, by his logic, he shouldn't ever by a sports car that is not equipped with a maunual transmission. But, he did...

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Again, my point is: He criticized the paddle shift, because of it's electronic aid. Therefore, by his logic, he shouldn't ever by a sports car that is not equipped with a maunual transmission.

No.
    By this logic, he should CRITICISE a sports car equipped with an automatic transmission, which he does.
    He doesn't say "I will never buy a paddle-shift car", does he?
    Quote:
    Sure...

I take it you don't like the guy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763189 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435758 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260720 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257713 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81002 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5323 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872642 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808114 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM