Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

F430 bug report after 900km autobahn cruise

dear all,

yesterday i drove 900km on the autobahn across germany. the performance is just great, and the sound while accelerating is so awesome that i did more rest area stops than necessary

however... the car is not flawless.

1. after 300km's some "E-DIFF ERROR" symbol was flashing in the LCD display. i stopped and consulted the handbook. there it says that the trip can be continued, but the E-DIFF won't work any more. i called my dealer and he told me that this problem is well known among F430's and shouldn't worry me. the E-DIFF will probably work, it's just that the electronics is over-cautious. the error message will probably disappear after i stop the car for some hours (and so it did, no alert today)

2. during upshifts (from 3rd to 4th or from 5th to 6th) suddenly the F1 tranny set to idle instead to the next higher gear. no 6th gear, but "N" instead. which is not nice in the left lane at 200km/h or on the acceleration lane. after some seconds and some pulling on the paddles the 6th gear was selected (even if car was only driving 50km/h). this happened around 4 times. after that i activated the "AUTO" mode and continued the last km's of the trip like schumacher used to do last season when ross brawn told him to drive "EASY".

3. minor, but worth mentioning anyway: the outer right exhaust pipe is rattling.

4. no bug... but stone chipping is really annoying

so it's time for a first check up at the dealer garage!

but... despite... the trip was excellent and more fun than i've ever experienced in my prior porsches on the similar route.

Re: F430 bug report after 900km autobahn cruise

I'm concerned to read about your electronic bugs. I really hope Ferrari didn't go over the top with their electronics in the F430...

the rattle could be the bypass valve that opens up the secondary exhaust when you give it some . The is a real problem on my CS and the dealer is looking hard at it.

YES, stone chipping is terrible , the undercoating should be the color of the car, but I don't know if this would be possible.

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    YES, stone chipping is terrible , the undercoating should be the color of the car, but I don't know if this would be possible.

it's possible... with bianco avus

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

it's possible... with bianco avus

Well, why didn't you order bianco avus then?

Quote:
    Well, why didn't you order bianco avus then?

some more trips, extensive stone chipping... and my car will be white colored anyway. i just have to drive back- and sidewards as well

Good luck getting those issues sorted out. The car looks gorgous

Regarding the stone chips -- Maybe I'm cazy but for the last 3 vehicles I purchased I drove the car from the dealer directly for 3M body armour. I already have an deposit down at my detailers who applies the film for when my 997 arrives. Not only does it protect unbelievably from stone chips but it ALSO keeps your mind off getting them in the first place. IMO it's the absolute best investment you can make especially with a car like the 430.

The 3M that I installed on my suv actually protected the paint on my front bumper when someone backed into it. The film got scratched but there was no other damage. The old piece came off and a new one went on with no problem.

I don't want to sound like a salesman for the product because I've posted about it so much but I just can't help trying to pass on something that I've found to work so good at preventing something that seems to bother most everyone that loves cars.

Thanks for the tip, Stradale. It's good to know that you recommend it.

I have a question, over time, does it wear out to the point that you need to have it replaced periodically? Also, when washing/waxing your car, does it seem wierd that you would be doing that on a cover instead of the actual metal?

What SUV did you apply the body armor to, Stradale?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Thanks for the tip, Stradale. It's good to know that you recommend it.

I have a question, over time, does it wear out to the point that you need to have it replaced periodically? Also, when washing/waxing your car, does it seem wierd that you would be doing that on a cover instead of the actual metal?

A lot of manufacture's are putting 3M on at the factory now on certain parts of the car. Ferrari puts a small piece on the rocker panel and Porsche is putting on a large piece on the rear quarter panel (in front of the rear wheel). With the new film they are using now there shouldn't be any need to change it for 5 plus years. 3M offers a 5 year warranty. The stuff was originally designed by the military to protect the leading edge of chopper blades. From my experience it doesn't wear or dull at all.

When it's applied right it doesn't feel like a "cover". When washing you don't do anything different. Except for the exposed edges you won't notice any difference from washing the film or washing the metal. I don't wax the parts of my car that have the film. The installer showed me a neat trick that they use to wax cars with body armour. They take very thin painters tape and apply it to any edge of the film that way wax doesn't get trapped. But if it does it's really no big deal, mostly it will come off easily.

I came across this on another RENNTEAM thread:
    http://www.automotivearticles.com/Clear_Bra_3M.shtml

Quote:
    Danny G said:
    What SUV did you apply the body armor to, Stradale?

2004 Dodge Durango Limited. (Hemi)

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    ... i just have to drive back- and sidewards as well

Well I guess you'll have no problem to do so, espcially sidewards...

zzboba,
    I just looked in your gallery for more pics.
    Could you post more interior pics when possible ?
    I love that color combo inside.

zzboba, can't exactly see it from the pictures, but do I notice a dedication plate on the dashboard ?

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    zzboba, can't exactly see it from the pictures, but do I notice a dedication plate on the dashboard ?

If you mean on the right side corner (in front of passenger) it's a Ferrari plate with the years of the F1 victories. I have the same plate on my CS.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

If you mean on the right side corner (in front of passenger) it's a Ferrari plate with the years of the F1 victories. I have the same plate on my CS.

No, it's on top of the dashboard, the plate with F430 on, but it can be changed with a personal inscription, and the option is called 'dedication plate'

Quote:
    Patriek said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Patriek said:

No, it's on top of the dashboard, the plate with F430 on, but it can be changed with a personal inscription, and the option is called 'dedication plate'

Yes, but in his picture you can see it says 430 so I thought you meant the other plate.

Are the chips on the bumper paint, inside the front airducts or both? Is it possible to 3M the airduct flat surfaces?

nberry,
    The 3M works on plastic,glass,fiberglass,metal. I bet it wouldn't have any problem adhering to that flat surface.

Have you guys seen this video before ?:
    http://www.owners.ferrari.com/video...ngeStradale.wmv

How about this short one ? It's a shame the guy lets off the gas:
    http://www.cavallino.cc/index.php?section=stradali/ferraris/modele/360stradaleV

Nothing can beat that sound imo.

It seems like they may have some bugs to work out on the e-diff. I recall watching a video on the net of a testing and the tranny would not shift gears at speed for a while. This'll probably be a software upgrade in the future.

Ferrari's are particularily bad for rock chips. The bumper material is like a fiberglass underneath and does not give at all. I do think the only answer is to either not follow too close or get the stone guard stuff. Either that and forget about it and go for a respray down the road if it bothers you.

The car looks fantastic. Same as my 360 if it's tit/blk. Enjoy and keep us posted.

Just arrived in Paris!
    My friend from ferrari came to say hi, he congatulates you on the car BTW!
    And does indeed confirm that the F430 does have numerous bugs, all electronics.
    He didn't seem too worried, the car can still be driven and it's of course all covered under warranty!
    Enjoy your toy!
    PS: Totally OT, sorry, but he came to visit with the first Maserati Spyder 90th anniversary, very nice appart from the chrome wheels and very nice soundtrack!
    I will testdrive it tomorrow along with the Coupe Gransport and hopefully the MC12. More pictures to come in a separate thread.
    Sorry for the bad quality!

Oh, man! An MC12!! I love those, you need to take some pictures of it. Very, very, lucky.

Re: maserati stuff

Hi Fanch, could you ask the Maserati guy what the new continental edition of the coupe is all about.?

Thanx and enjoy your Tridente testing time.

The dealer replaced exhaust values on my CS and the rattling is gone. It's a known problem with CS and Ferrari had put a recall out on this issue.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

Uh, I didn't want to hear that, I really hope they sort all those bugs out till the next MY...

could you post the first link again?

doesn't work for one reason.

thansk very much in advance, also for the 3M hint.

and, could you post a detail picture of your covered strad, in case she has got 3M as well. i would very much like to see haw it goes with the paint..

best, floren.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Just arrived in Paris!
    My friend from ferrari came to say hi, he congatulates you on the car BTW!
    He didn't seem too worried, the car can still be driven and it's of course all covered under warranty!
    Enjoy your toy!

ah thanks for info, fanch. say hi to your friend.

i took the car for some city shopping poseur touring yesterday... and everything was just fine. VERY good show. (but this is not what the F430 is for, isn't it? )

Quote:
    Patriek said:

no. i prefer it to stay anonymous.

(so if i'd have taken the vanity plate, i'd probably have chosen "zzboba" as the name to be stated on it )

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    zzboba,
    I just looked in your gallery for more pics.
    Could you post more interior pics when possible ?
    I love that color combo inside.

i found two more interior pictures and posted them:

http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=973&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

http://www.rennteam.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=971&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691223 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410281 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256296 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65769 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858916 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775252 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM