Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ford GT versus F430 test

The Ferrari is slower out of the corners.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0506_fordvferrari/

Re: Ford GT versus F430 test

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The last paragraph of the first page describes the use of the F1 very well. It truly is a marvel to use, if done correctly.

From the article:

Yet there are several endearing qualities the GT has to offset the Ferrari's enthralling driving experience: The ease with which the GT breathes over less-than-perfect road surfaces, the relative calm of its supercharger's whine to the Ferrari's enchanting wail. The gratification a driver earns when he (not a computerized gizmo) perfectly executes a downshift and sets the car for a corner-and catches the Ferrari with its nuclear-powered exits.

Quote:
    Raz (NC) said:
    From the article:

Yet there are several endearing qualities the GT has to offset the Ferrari's enthralling driving experience: The ease with which the GT breathes over less-than-perfect road surfaces, the relative calm of its supercharger's whine to the Ferrari's enchanting wail. The gratification a driver earns when he (not a computerized gizmo) perfectly executes a downshift and sets the car for a corner-and catches the Ferrari with its nuclear-powered exits.

There is no doubt that Ferrari's Manetino and E Diff are
    incredible devices that add to the vehicles capabilities.

But what about two years after purchase when the warranty is up? What price "gizmo" glory then????

As long as Ferrari plays the Ferrari commodities game with US speculators I guess it doesnt matter. Some elements of the US Ferrari market seem in love with getting what the next guy can't, more than liking the cars enough to actually drive them much.

As for the Ford, Its really sad that Fords only car success comes from bring back forty year old models, but they are cheap to fix! A new in the crate Ford "Cammer" engine is only 10K USD, wich is less than some people pay to have their F360's tuned and fixed.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The last paragraph of the first page describes the use of the F1 very well. It truly is a marvel to use, if done correctly.

How exactly do you do it incorrectly? Dont you just have to pull them?...I dont get it.

Quote:
    nberry said:

How can one NOT do it correctly? Pull the right paddle. Pull the left paddle. Repeat.
    I thought the point of F1 WAS to not worry about 'doing it correctly' and letting the computer do it for you?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

How can one NOT do it correctly? Pull the right paddle. Pull the left paddle. Repeat.
    I thought the point of F1 WAS to not worry about 'doing it correctly' and letting the computer do it for you?

Using the paddles in coordination with the RPM's to maximize power. It applies both ways up and down. When done right, often on up shifts I had the car almost hopping leaping forward losing very little rpm's. You need to experience the F1 to understand. To assume it is nothing more than a pulling on the paddles is a huge misconception.

Raz I agree some people would get great satisfaction by hitting the down shift perfectly with a manual. It does not happen that often, so when it does the driver lights up.

Since I dont have a way of driving a paddle shifting car, my only testing is with racing simulators. I use the shoulder buttons as paddle shifters just like you would in real life. Its really easy to do in the games and I dont see how it would be different in real life.

I would like to assume that manual is much more difficult and if I can drive manual easily then paddle shifting would seem elementry...yes?

BTW, Im not bashing paddles. If I had a ferrari then I would probably go with paddles unless it was my only car.

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said: Its really easy to do in the games and I dont see how it would be different in real life.

it isn't any different than a video game.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    Ryan in SD said: Its really easy to do in the games and I dont see how it would be different in real life.

Is that sarcasm or are you poking fun at paddles?

Quote:
    nberry said:

If done correctly?!? How hard is it to twitch a paddle with your finger?

The f430 seems to have not so wide of tires....that one may expect them to have. What do you think?

From the Nick archives

nberry: This is what I know. Time your downshift so that you have completed it, with your left foot off the clutch and over into the dead pedal area, BEFORE you ever start to turn the steering wheel into a corner.

During H&T you are constantly applying brake pressure throught the manuever.Braking occurs BEFORE downshifting. And you cannot watch the tachometer-- your eyes must be looking ahead. Input from your eyes and the forces on your body will tell you if your doing right.

Carlos, I agree H&T can make driving more fun. However, if you don't blip enough, the driving wheels will lockup when the clutch is re-engaged. That'll cause big problems! If you blip too much, the car will attempt to accelerate... and you are supposed to be slowing down. Thus unless you have mastered it your better over practicing with the engine turn off to get a better feel for the technique.

Once you feel your proficient, you can start the engine and practice blipping while the car is stationary. Once you mastered the blipping you can head for the road. "

You're right, I haven't experienced the real thing but I play a mean game of Sega's Formula 1 at the arcade. If flicking a paddle requires so much time in a stationary car for you to master, how do you walk and chew gum at the same time?

Re: From the Nick archives

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    nberry: This is what I know. Time your downshift so that you have completed it, with your left foot off the clutch and over into the dead pedal area, BEFORE you ever start to turn the steering wheel into a corner.

During H&T you are constantly applying brake pressure throught the manuever.Braking occurs BEFORE downshifting. And you cannot watch the tachometer-- your eyes must be looking ahead. Input from your EARS and the forces on your body will tell you if your doing right.

Carlos, I agree H&T can make driving more fun. However, if you don't blip enough, the driving wheels will lockup when the clutch is re-engaged. That'll cause big problems! If you blip too much, the car will attempt to accelerate... and you are supposed to be slowing down. Thus unless you have mastered it your better over practicing with the engine turn off to get a better feel for the technique.

Once you feel your proficient, you can start the engine and practice blipping while the car is stationary. Once you mastered the blipping you can head for the road. "

You're right, I haven't experienced the real thing but I play a mean game of Sega's Formula 1 at the arcade. If flicking a paddle requires so much time in a stationary car for you to master, how do you walk and chew gum at the same time?

The tachometer can be and should monitored with your ears. Obviously you do not have experience in performance driving or you would have recognized the typo which I corrected above. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm fairly familiar with BMW SMG, and while it takes some getting used to in order to ensure timely downshifts and smooth upshifts, the learning curve is nowhere near what it takes to drive a manual properly. There's just no comparison.

- J

Quote:
    Ryan in SD said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:

Is that sarcasm or are you poking fun at paddles?

nope, just the truth. any moron can drive with the paddles. it's not any different than "shifting" an automatic tranny manually.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Using the paddles in coordination with the RPM's to maximize power. It applies both ways up and down. When done right, often on up shifts I had the car almost hopping leaping forward losing very little rpm's. You need to experience the F1 to understand. To assume it is nothing more than a pulling on the paddles is a huge misconception.

Raz I agree some people would get great satisfaction by hitting the down shift perfectly with a manual. It does not happen that often, so when it does the driver lights up.

Don't make it sound more difficult than it is Nick Pulling off perfect upshifts/downshifts takes no more than a couple hours at most with the F1 system in the 360. Once you've got that down, it's all hands on the wheel and all eyes on the road. As I've said before, this helps a lot at higher speeds where the F1 system can be quite fun, but at lower speeds I'm not so sure.

nope, just the truth. any moron can drive with the paddles. it's not any different than "shifting" an automatic tranny manually.

NOW, ALL the morons drive manuals too ...

I LIKE BOTH ! and thank God, I can choose

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

But what about two years after purchase when the warranty is up? What price "gizmo" glory then????

FWIW, it's a 3-year warranty, just like the 360 and CS.

Gary

it may be a 3 year warranty. BUT will Ferrari fix
    your broken car under warranty after a` hard day
    at the track? NOPE! Ford will!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    g-force said:

actually there are some people suing ferrari right now for not even covering their emissions warranty when their cats fail.

Quote:
    g-force said:

I would have MUCH more confidence in Ferrari standing behind their product after a track day than Ford, absolutely no question about it. Ferrari of San Francisco sponsors 2 track days a year, and I have never heard a single story of anyone not being covered because of track activity.

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    g-force said:

I would have MUCH more confidence in Ferrari standing behind their product after a track day than Ford, absolutely no question about it. Ferrari of San Francisco sponsors 2 track days a year, and I have never heard a single story of anyone not being covered because of track activity.

Gary

yep, would be hard to believe that if ferrari of SF (a ferrari owned dealer) tells customers (and they do) the best way to break their cars in is on the track, they void warranties because of track use. now if ferrari would just stand behind their emissions warranty off the track, their customers wouldn't have to sue them.

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    now if ferrari would just stand behind their emissions warranty off the track, their customers wouldn't have to sue them.

Are you privy to all the details of the suit?

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    now if ferrari would just stand behind their emissions warranty off the track, their customers wouldn't have to sue them.

Gary

you mean suit(s) by multiple customers with the same problem? no, but it's quite a coincidence wouldn't ya say?

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Gary

you mean suit(s) by multiple customers with the same problem? no, but it's quite a coincidence wouldn't ya say?

Hm...I was only aware of one. How many are we talking about?

Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Gary

Gary

two or three i'm aware of. then of course there is the poor bastard with the 360 who had cat problems which led to more extra damage - (you can read about that one in the Exotic Warranty Company thread on fchat). ferrari denied his cat claim too!

Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Gary

Gary

two or three i'm aware of. then of course there is the poor bastard with the 360 who had cat problems which led to more extra damage - (you can read about that one in the Exotic Warranty Company thread on fchat). ferrari denied his cat claim too!

Ferrari of San Francisco(wich is actually in Mill Valley) is a factory owned Ferrari dealership, so the news that they deny customer warranty claims is especially pathetic.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:
    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    ben, lj said:

Gary

Gary

Ferrari of San Francisco(wich is actually in Mill Valley) is a factory owned Ferrari dealership, so the news that they deny customer warranty claims is especially pathetic.

ferrari of SF is the dealership that tells customers to break there cars in on the track but no one has said anything about them denying (any) warranty claims.

My (respected) dealer, also tells that there's no need to 'break in' a Ferrari, ..... otherwise,recommending breaking in at a track is still something else

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761838 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435056 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260340 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257427 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80888 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871911 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807268 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM