Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Interesting Article - CarGirl drives Porsches

My 18 year old daughter desperately wants to try her luck in my Carrera GT

I told her we could, maybe, give it a try in the turbo cab (6-speed) instead. That is, if I get up enough nerve or find some good tranquilizers.

not to sound sexist or anything nor offend anyone but yeah...you know guys know what I mean

Mike, go for it: let her drive. It'd be a good father/daughter bonding time. just remember to bring a mouth guard so you don't bite off your tongue and 2 really good stress balls.

Let us all know how it goes

Quote:
    W8MM said:

I told her we could, maybe, give it a try in the turbo cab (6-speed) instead. That is, if I get up enough nerve or find some good tranquilizers.

If she masters the TT I would be pretty curious if I were you to discover her skills on the CGT. Again, if...

Nice article!

Quote:
    W8MM said:

To be objective, the average 18 year old female will have better reaction time, better eyesight and probably better hand-eye coordination than a middle aged male.

mcdelaug

Re: Interesting Article

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/Shoppers/Cargirl/Cargirl_Demystifying_Porsche.S189.A8538.html

Well you have to give credit to Porsche. They NEVER stop selling or marketing their products. Just good business.

Mike regarding your daughter, does she know how to drive a manual? Who taught her how to drive? If you did and she knows how to drive a manual, you will be hard pressed not to allow her drive your CGT with you in the car.

Giving it to her for a spin on her own or with a friend is definitely a no no.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Ever hear that saying, "woman drivers, no survivors"?!?! just kidding but, it's partially true

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    I told her we could, maybe, give it a try in the turbo cab (6-speed) instead.

I've heard they're lookin for someone to clean the powercables and change the bulbs on top of the Golden Gate Bridge pylons...sounds like you're the right guy for the job

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

Ever hear that saying, "woman drivers, no survivors"?!?! just kidding but, it's partially true

haha I like that..."woman drivers, no survivors" They need bumper stickers with that slogan

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    not to sound sexist or anything nor offend anyone but yeah...you know guys know what I mean

Racer,

I just double-checked my gender and I don't know what you mean. Please elaborate.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    That is, if I get up enough nerve or find some good tranquilizers.

Encourage your daughter to refine her skills at our local indoor go-kart track. If she can equal or beat the record laptime achieved by a driver in her weight class, she is ready to drive the CGT on a parking lot with autocross cones.

If she can pull a laptime that is not more than one second slower than the above mentioned weight class record laptime, she is ready for the turbo cab on the parking lot and the street.

Say, when's your wife going to take the CGT out for a spi...err...drive? Surely, you've already extended the invitation.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

what I was trying to say is that men make better driver then females like porsche makes better cars then other companies...so its only logical men drive Porsches...hahah

Man I wish I was your 18 year old daughter

Racer,

I just double-checked my gender and I don't know what you mean. Please elaborate.

what I was trying to say is that men make better driver then females like porsche makes better cars then other companies...so its only logical men drive Porsches...hahah

Man I wish I was your 18 year old daughter hey wait a second is she single?

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    ... to take the CGT out for a spi...err...drive?

So, ... I guess you've heard how the traction control is not very intrusive, eh?

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    what I was trying to say is that men make better driver then females like porsche makes better cars then other companies...hahah

A stereotypical analogy for both men and Porsches. Would you agree?

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    hey wait a second is she single?

Hey, ... think about this for a second.

She's a poor soon-to-be college student.

She doesn't own the CGT, I do.

And, I'm already married!

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    ... to take the CGT out for a spi...err...drive?

So, ... I guess you've heard how the traction control is not very intrusive, eh?

Not heard; seen.

"Not heard; seen"---

What happened to the one you saw. i didn't see it but 1 of the 3 we have in vancouver supposidly did a 540deg spin in the middle of town. Strangly enough it ended up at the shop at my college after it returned from germany, this time totalled. I'll try to get the story and some pics if interested.

Quote:
    schmuy said:
    "Not heard; seen"---

What happened to the one you saw.

I saw the Top Gear video. Although, upon reflection, the Traction Control may have been turned off during filming.

Quote:
    schmuy said:

I'll try to get the story and some pics if interested.

Yes, I am interested.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    hey wait a second is she single?

Hey, ... think about this for a second.

She's a poor soon-to-be college student.

She doesn't own the CGT, I do.

And, I'm already married!

haha Well, surely you will help her financially...I'm hoping

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    what I was trying to say is that men make better driver then females like porsche makes better cars then other companies...hahah

A stereotypical analogy for both men and Porsches. Would you agree?

Just a joke man...no need to take it seriously Women make safer driver then men and I guess that would be considered a better driver no?

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    Just a joke man...no need to take it seriously Women make safer driver then men and I guess that would be considered a better driver no?

You must be joking again.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

You must be joking again.

let me re-word...studies show women drive slower then men and have less of a chance at crashing at high speeds and dieing...

Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:
    let me re-word...studies show women drive slower then men and have less of a chance at crashing at high speeds and dieing...

Which studies, Salman? How old, accurate, unbiased, respected, etc. are these studies? Even if the results of these studies show women drive slower than men, the results and conclusions would not prove that women are safer drivers for the sole reason that they drive slower.

Speed is only one of many factors to consider when determining the primary cause of a crash. Often, the true cause of a crash can be disguised by everyone focusing on the speed. For example, this afternoon I almost crashed and died. Neither my gender nor my speed had any contribution. In fact, I almost crashed several times in the same manner; below, at and above the speed limit. Had I crashed below or at the speed limit, it's unlikely someone would have included "speed" as a cause. In contrast, had I crashed above the limit, "speed" would most likely have been stated as the cause in the accident report. This incorrect conclusion would have attracted a researcher doing a "study" and the fact that I was a male would have made my accident case useful as a potential data point for the study to assert wrongly that men have a higher chance of crashing at high speeds and dying.

Wrong. Dead wrong (pun intended) ! Actually, the correct primary cause factor was that I was feeling drowsy. Had I not eventually pulled over and rested for a minute before resuming driving, I may have, much to my disgust, become part of the widely and wrongly held belief that one gender is a more dangerous driver than the other due to a speed delta. Both genders drive fast. Both genders drive slow. Both genders chance a crash nine days in a row.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    CarreraGtRacer said:

Which studies, Salman? How old, accurate, unbiased, respected, etc. are these studies? Even if the results of these studies show women drive slower than men, the results and conclusions would not prove that women are safer drivers for the sole reason that they drive slower.

Speed is only one of many factors to consider when determining the primary cause of a crash. Often, the true cause of a crash can be disguised by everyone focusing on the speed. For example, this afternoon I almost crashed and died. Neither my gender nor my speed had any contribution. In fact, I almost crashed several times in the same manner; below, at and above the speed limit. Had I crashed below or at the speed limit, it's unlikely someone would have included "speed" as a cause. In contrast, had I crashed above the limit, "speed" would most likely have been stated as the cause in the accident report. This incorrect conclusion would have attracted a researcher doing a "study" and the fact that I was a male would have made my accident case useful as a potential data point for the study to assert wrongly that men have a higher chance of crashing at high speeds and dying.

Wrong. Dead wrong (pun intended) ! Actually, the correct primary cause factor was that I was feeling drowsy. Had I not eventually pulled over and rested for a minute before resuming driving, I may have, much to my disgust, become part of the widely and wrongly held belief that one gender is a more dangerous driver than the other due to a speed delta. Both genders drive fast. Both genders drive slow. Both genders chance a crash nine days in a row.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/021105-3.htm
    http://news.myway.com/odd/article/id/218550|oddlyenough|07-30-2004::10:07|reuters.html
    http://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp...rd=&teaser=
    http://www.goodyear.ca/drivers.html

When I asked my dad's insurance company about why men have higher rates then women (specially teenagers), the guy replied because females are safer drivers and are usually involved in less crashes then men...that doesn't mean they crash...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688147 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408528 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234690 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65322 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857433 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773107 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM