Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla

CGX car nut:

One is not a friggin idiot.  I have more experience in tech investing and manufacturing than you do so lay off the damned commentary about how knowledgeable you.  You’re nothing more than an overly-hyped self-righteous Tesla owner and there are thousands and thousands just like you. 

Hey hey hey, chill out a bit, no need to go personal.

--

Whoopsy:
    CGX car nut:

One is not a friggin idiot.  I have more experience in tech investing and manufacturing than you do so lay off the damned commentary about how knowledgeable you.  You’re nothing more than an overly-hyped self-righteous Tesla owner and there are thousands and thousands just like you. 

Hey hey hey, chill out a bit, no need to go personal.

Just change the title of this thread to the virtuous almighty and be done with it. 

I apologize sincerely if I offended anyone. 
    You guys can have this thread. I’m really not interested in sharing any longer. 

Only if Volkswagen Group had the alien dreadnought.  There’s around 8 unique Volkswagen Group models using the very same powertrain, battery pack, suspension, and software package known as MEB.  https://youtu.be/AzwDneSk8h8

https://insideevs.com/news/595295/tesla-semi-delivering-preassembled-superchargers/

And here is something very cool from Tesla.

They build up a V3 Supercharger station with 4 stalls and the transformer as one single unit, thus able to be rapidly deployed to locations and installed quickly, all needed on location is to hook up the actual electricity cables and some concrete work on tying in the platform and the ground. 

For publicity sake they also used a Tesla Semi to haul it over to Laguna Seca, a short distance, like 80 miles, from the Fremont factory to prove the Semi is actually real. 

--

Some random fact.

Elon Musk is an African-American. 

--

Whoopsy:

Some random fact.

Aah yes, billionaires, the forgotten minority. 

He is born in South Africa, which is on the Africa continent, and he is naturalized American. Can't deny those facts.

He is more African-American than just about everyone in the USA claiming be African-American, most of whom are actually full American as they are born there.

Simple fact that blows people's mind.

--

Oh I'm with you. Just couldn't pass up the opportunity to use an obscure joke from a 90s sitcom, brownie points if anyone knew it's origin. 

My wife is blond with blue eyes and is South African. When we were together but she was still in he home country,  I would tell people around me when they asked me if I had someone in my life, that yes, I have a very nice African women.  I could see the faces freez ...... and then I showed a photo .... and then I saw usually surprise and relief heart

They could not consider her African. Smiley

Preconceived notion of colour. Or race.

We all humans. Technically Homo sapiens. We all the same. 

Black 911s, white 911s, yellow 911s, red 911s, purple 911s, brown 911s, they are all 911s indecision

--

Whoopsy:

Preconceived notion of colour. Or race.

We all humans. Technically Homo sapiens. We all the same. 

Black 911s, white 911s, yellow 911s, red 911s, purple 911s, brown 911s, they are all 911s indecision

Zero argument here. 

Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

Some random fact.

I tried a Google search. No good results. Sounds to me like Seinfeld, but my knowledge of sitcoms is lower than limited. Smiley  still trying to figure it out  Smiley

Gladstone:
    Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

Some random fact.

I tried a Google search. No good results. Sounds to me like Seinfeld, but my knowledge of sitcoms is lower than limited. Smiley  still trying to figure it out  Smiley

It was Frasier. By far the best sitcom even IMO.

Removal of the Texas-built Model Y battery pack by Munro & Associates.  This is innovative but is it innovation for the sake of innovation versus performance?  Need additional review and examination before any conclusions can be drawn; however, something like this affects economies of scale since multiple processes and materials are employed dependent on factory as well as repairability and resell value.  This process should have applied to a different or updated car.  Why didn’t Tesla, for example, bring out a new Model S embodying this technology, not a variant of the Model Y?

https://youtu.be/FXpfU6I_T3w

Science fiction and grandfather’s views shaped Musk, historian says

Jill Lepore offers theory that billionaire’s mission to colonise Mars reflects technocratic philosophy

Elon Musk. Picture: SUPPLIED

Elon Musk. Picture: SUPPLIED 

Where does Elon Musk get his ideas from? What is he trying to achieve and who does he want to be? Many of us are desperate to understand the world’s richest man, whose electric vehiclemaker Tesla is now, according to the stock market, worth a trillion dollars. Jill Lepore, a historian at Harvard University, suggests Musk was shaped by his adolescent love of science fiction and the strange, science-obsessed politics of his Canadian grandfather.

Joshua Haldeman was a flamboyant character. Trained as a chiropractor, he performed in rodeos and sought adventure as an amateur archaeologist and pilot. After emigrating to SA with his family, he led a series of expeditions to find the mythical Lost City of the Kalahari. He died in 1974, when Elon was still a small child, but a photo shows that grandfather and grandson bear an uncanny resemblance.

In the 1930s, Haldeman led the Canadian branch of the Technocracy movement,  when “technocrat” meant something very different from a bland centrist politician. Then, it was a uniformed movement that marched under the Monad, or yin and yang, symbol, aiming to replace democracy with a society led by engineers. According to Lepore, Haldeman’s politics may have been his key bequest to his grandson.

Believing that science and technology could cure all ills, Haldeman campaigned for the capitalist monetary infrastructure to be replaced by a new universal currency, based on a unit of heat, to be known as the erg. The technocrats even wanted an end to prices, in the view that scientists could handle distribution within society far better than the market.

" A lot of what he seems to be inspired by as though it was utopian was in fact dystopian " 

- Jill Lepore, Harvard University historian 

Such concepts seemed dangerous to the Canadian government, which banned the movement over its opposition to World War 2. The belief system faded away with the growth of prosperity after the war. But similar ideas are inspiring the current excitement over meme stocks, cryptocurrency and the man who now calls himself “Technoking”.

To Lepore, Musk’s ideology seems to flow from these outlandish — and outmoded — views. In Lepore’s words, his ambition is an “extravagant, extreme” even “extraterrestrial capitalism, driven by fantasies that come from science fiction”.

In a new podcast series, The Evening Rocket, produced by Pushkin Industries in collaboration with the BBC that launches today in the US, Lepore offers her theory that Musk is a creature of the science fiction that he devoured in his youth, much of which reflected his grandfather’s technocratic philosophy. That gave him his storytelling gift. When investors buy shares in Tesla, they are buying a narrative, not a stream of future cash flows. That narrative sounds a lot like midcentury science fiction.

What Lepore finds disturbing is that Musk appears to have misinterpreted the science fiction he was reading, something she believes should worry us all. “A lot of what he seems to be inspired by as though it was utopian,” she said in an interview, “was in fact dystopian.”

Damaged society

Much science fiction in the middle of the century was meant as a warning of how science could come to dominate our lives. But young Elon Musk, Lepore says, instead found the dystopian future exciting. That is what inspires his company SpaceX and its mission to colonise Mars.

Lepore argues that the current popularity of Musk and his ideas, from colonising space through to cryptocurrency, could be a symptom of a damaged society.

The rush to buy meme stocks such as GameStop and AMC earlier this year was seen by its participants as a blow for equality and against the elites. Calling themselves “apes”, the young traders who tried to force short-selling hedge funds out of business acted like a flash mob. Many of them have subsequently lost money.

Cryptocurrencies, which have enriched many already-wealthy people, are also viewed by their supporters as a great economic leveler. Bitcoin, its backers hope, will not only emancipate us from the hold of banks over the financial system, but also break the grip of governments — even if they were democratically elected. 

Exhilarating ride

Midcentury science fiction often had a libertarian message, and nowadays that philosophy has many adherents in Silicon Valley and among the hedge fund community. But Lepore suggests that with Musk the Technoking, something different is going on. Crypto enthusiasts’ attitude towards money aligns directly with the distrust and feudalism of the Middle Ages, when the wealthiest people held power and trust was vested in individuals, not systems and institutions. Indeed, the campaign to buy meme stocks was very much like a medieval peasants’ revolt. Musk’s futurism, in her reading, reflects an antiquated view of the future.  

The Evening Rocket is an exhilarating ride through pop culture, technology and centuries of history, and it brings a perspective to Musk that is often lacking. His ideas, Lepore concludes, were born in an age of imperialism and inequality.

It is a downbeat view of a figure who now provides many people with much hope, but it is a perspective that should be taken seriously. Lepore does at least offer us the prospect that whatever path the Elon Musk story takes from here, it will be a sight to behold.

“We aren’t going to read his obituary in 50 years and wonder whatever happened to him. It will be a big-budget Hollywood end.”

Bloomberg Opinion. More stories like this are available on bloomberg.com/opinion

Enmanuel:

It was Frasier. By far the best sitcom even IMO.

I'm watching the series right now. I watched the occasional episode in the past, but going end to end now. Brilliant writing. Niles vs Roz is a hilarious ongoing bit. Smiley

JoeRockhead:
    Enmanuel:

It was Frasier. By far the best sitcom ever IMO.

I'm watching the series right now. I watched the occasional episode in the past, but going end to end now. Brilliant writing. Niles vs Roz is a hilarious ongoing bit. Smiley

You just made my day. You're in for a treat as it's a beautifully written show with great character development and very good life lessons along the way. It slumps a little on season 7 and 8 but it picks back up. 

I must of seen all the seasons of Frasier two or three already, one of my all time favoriteskiss

Carlos from Spain:

I must of seen all the seasons of Frasier two or three already, one of my all time favoriteskiss

You guys have really made my day with this. Carlos I am not surprised we both like Frasier, I'll have to start making small obscure references on some threads Smiley

"I'm listening" indecision

BTW, there is supposed to be a reboot of Frasier coming kiss

Tesla’s new 4680 structural battery pack isn’t just unserviceable but it is also nearly impossible to breakdown to its basic components to recycle.  Evidently Tesla doesn’t plan on selling this product in regions, like the EU, that have product recyclable standards. 

Who else thinks that all this green climate s**t will hurt our planet more in the end?

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS :)

CGX car nut:

Tesla’s new 4680 structural battery pack isn’t just unserviceable but it is also nearly impossible to breakdown to its basic components to recycle.  Evidently Tesla doesn’t plan on selling this product in regions, like the EU, that have product recyclable standards. 

Nice to see you keeping up with the teardown. Interesting assumption on your part that repairability and recycling are the same. Perhaps you are jumping to conclusions.  Btw it must be hard to ignore all the praise related to the engineering from the leading experts.  My guess is you and I see a totally different reality. Which is cool. Enjoy. 

“Tesla AI leader Andrej Karpathy announces he’s leaving the company”

KEY POINTS

• Tesla’s AI leader Andrej Karpathy announced on Wednesday that he is leaving the company. 
    • Karpathy worked for Elon Musk’s electric vehicle venture for about five years and led its Autopilot efforts.

(13 July 2022)

Tesla AI leader Andrej Karpathy announced on Twitter Wednesday that he is no longer working for the electric vehicle maker.

He wrote, “It’s been a great pleasure to help Tesla towards its goals over the last 5 years and a difficult decision to part ways. In that time, Autopilot graduated from lane keeping to city streets and I look forward to seeing the exceptionally strong Autopilot team continue that momentum.”

He added, “I have no concrete plans for what’s next but look to spend more time revisiting my long-term passions around technical work in AI, open source and education.”

CEO Elon Musk thanked Karpathy for his work in response.

A team of senior machine learning scientists and engineers reported in directly to Karpathy, who had recently taken a months-long sabbatical from Tesla.

Tesla vehicles have accounted for nearly 70% of reported crashes involving advanced driver-assistance systems since June 2021, according to federal figures released last month. Officials warned that the data was incomplete not meant to indicate which carmaker’s systems might be safest.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/tesla-ai-leader-andrej-karpathy-announces-hes-leaving-the-company.html

Leawood911:
    CGX car nut:

Nice to see you keeping up with the teardown. Interesting assumption on your part that repairability and recycling are the same. Perhaps you are jumping to conclusions.  Btw it must be hard to ignore all the praise related to the engineering from the leading experts.  My guess is you and I see a totally different reality. Which is cool. Enjoy. 

Perhaps you should read more about the EU regulations on ELV before commenting.  Focus on the sections on ease of disassembly as a start. https://environment.ec.europa.eu/topics/waste-and-recycling/end-life-vehicles_en

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661689 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401064 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254575 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229090 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853412 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761648 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM