Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

And the winner is... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOA72NVnlM

Very impressive!

i think we've already seen this?

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

@RC

Ooopsy, for me it was new, sorry for bothering!

Enmanuel:

I think it's kind of great Smiley I'd go for black or dark grey if it were me. 

Well, grey is completely different story. It is very complex color which shows all curves of car in almost all light conditions! Also carbon works great with grey making good contrast, while black eats carbon like crazy. Heck, even Porsche offers liquid metal grey for 60k Smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Silver/grey shows up the reflections great in prints and pictures, but not in real life human eyes. in 90% of the lightning conditions the human eye over expose the image in the brain and blows out all the details. The only colour worse for this blow out is white. 

black cars mostly does't comes out nice in prints, as the darkness of black means some details are lost. But in real life to a human eye, the black colour is like a perfect mirror and reflects everything around, even details shows up as the eye's pupil is a little bit more dilated to try and catch all the details. 

I know I can shave using my black cars' hood. The regulation quality of black is THAT good. 

Of course we are talking about clear cars smiley

--

nberry:
    Whoopsy:
    nberry:

Someday you must explain your black fetish. Variety is the spice of life. 

I have other colours.

This one has white/grey-ish piping inside. The Ferraris have yellow accents, the 918 has acid green, the Lambo has red interior, the incoming Cayenne has brown interior. The 911R has silver stitching. 

That's what, 6 different colours not counting black. Smiley Plus the now gone orange RS with orange interior!

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I was concerned all your cars were black.indecision

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

They are black as the night. Accents and interior leather do not count.

In a humous way, I was trying to tell Nick that.kiss

FWIW, black exteriors are for limo's, sedans and ugly cars. The purpose is to either hide the lines or make the car look slimmer. Even a Prius would be elevated in black but not by much.

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

Fine, you guys are black haters laughlaughlaugh

--

Whoopsy:

Whoopsy, I think you're a true metal head. 

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Nick you are one of rare people that was able to see various exotic & very rare colors for cars. So, if you pick black after all those colors you saw, there must be some strong energy you fell when you see so many black cars in front of you every morning kiss 

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Hey Nick, I also love black cars!  Way to represent LOL.

Whoopsy:

Not me... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Nick, repeat after me, my next car will not be black; my next car will not be black.smiley FWIW, the gun gray (?) Huracan looked fabulous. The black one, not so much.

--

Milanno:

Nick you are one of rare people that was able to see various exotic & very rare colors for cars. So, if you pick black after all those colors you saw, there must be some strong energy you fell when you see so many black cars in front of you every morning kiss 

Maybe I am one of those rare people the can appreciate how black brings out the details and reflections in sunlight in the flesh. A shiny black surface is a mirror, it reflects everything, not just light. 

I enjoyed cleaning black cars, they are very rewarding afterwards, no other colour rewards the effort put into detailing like black do. Silver/grey is the worst, they looked exactly the same before and after cleaning, it's pointless to clean silver/grey cars.

Over the years, I have had many other colours, many of them white, a few blues, one green, One silver, some greys, one 'mystic'-that colour changing colour Ford put on the 97 Cobras, and the orange.

The trouble with non-black cars is that yes, I like the colour for a while, but I will quickly get bored with those colours. Just some examples, the orange RS lasted basically a year, the white Speciale 5 months, the white 12C 18, the magnetite black G63, which is actually a blue-ish greyish black, 40 months. The longest lasting non-black car I ever had was the 997 Turbo, which was midnight blue, 5 years and change. It lasted that long all because I loved the car, and the colour is basically black unless in bright direct sunlight. 

At least I tried other colours, I know someone who doesn't even buy a car unless it is white. 60+ Porsches all in white and not counting other brands. 

--

nberry:

Nick, repeat after me, my next car will not be black; my next car will not be black.smiley FWIW, the gun gray (?) Huracan looked fabulous. The black one, not so much.

Haha, too bad my next car is already black, and the one that comes after that is also ordered in black, and the one that comes after that one is also ordered in black Smiley

But look on the bright side, at least I kept my avatar in orange Smiley
    --

Whoopsy:

Silver/grey shows up the reflections great in prints and pictures, but not in real life human eyes. in 90% of the lightning conditions the human eye over expose the image in the brain and blows out all the details. The only colour worse for this blow out is white. 

black cars mostly does't comes out nice in prints, as the darkness of black means some details are lost. But in real life to a human eye, the black colour is like a perfect mirror and reflects everything around, even details shows up as the eye's pupil is a little bit more dilated to try and catch all the details. 

I know I can shave using my black cars' hood. The regulation quality of black is THAT good. 

Of course we are talking about clear cars smiley

Grey/silver can be nice, but I agree. The reflections you see in pictures are nothing like the real world. Pictures usually blow out the contrast to achieve this.

Liquid Metal looks great on the 918 if it catches a really nice blue sky or warm sunlight, but otherwise it looks pretty much just like a nice silver/grey.

You need a very dark grey to get good reflections.

-- Owner of a grey car 

Game, Set, Match... 

Same day, same driver, both on Trofeo R's:

1. 918 - 2:10,21

2. P1 - 2:13,00

3. ACR - 2:14,63

https://youtu.be/uwxNLhhzhUI

Nice time for the 918. They test at a bad track though given the season. It's too hot there as evident by the cars dying. Definitely not helping the turbo car.

noone1:

Nice time for the 918. They test at a bad track though given the season. It's too hot there as evident by the cars dying. Definitely not helping the turbo car.

Yes. And the Earth was flat at that day, which never helps P1's performace... Smiley

....nor that the Trackmodus is illegal

Well, it was 120F and the car couldn't even make a third lap. I'd expect much better in cooler weather. Probably not 3s, but definitely some time.

noone1:

Can't blame the track. Or weather.

McLaren chose to use a turbo-ed engine. That's their design fault, the compromise they have chosen.

Same could be said of the 918 if someone ran the cars in high altitude and the N/A engine loses more power than a turbo engine. That would be the compromise Porsche choose. 

All cars are compromises, manufacturers pick and choose what the weakness will be. Porsche forgo the very last top end power for power and traction in the low and mid range, and gives up high altitude power output. McLaren choose to forgot low end traction and focus on ultimate high end power, also gives up high temperature performance. 

Oh, the reason the 918's problem is not from the high heat in the hybrid battery system, it was the 12V battery that died. The P1 on the other hand was suffering from overheating in their hybrid battery.

--

Agreed, I'm just not sure 120F weather is really ideal for a test, much like testing at Mt. Everest wouldn't be either.

I think the 918 will still be quicker than the P1, but not sure it will be 3s.

Driver said at the end that  the P1 would be probably 2secs quicker in a colder day.

P1 still has the Race Mode advantage tho. So maybe the test was fair after all.

Did the 918 have the WP ??

GT-Boy:

Did the 918 have the WP ??

Did you watch the vid? Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Who is this Salamadrin and what is his claim to fame? I have recently seen several of his videos on cars.yes

--

nberry:

Who is this Salamadrin and what is his claim to fame? I have recently seen several of his videos on cars.yes

Nothing really Nick, these days anyone that can generate a large following on YouTube and/or social media (e.g. Instagram) can become an "internet celebrity".  Met him once or twice at car meets in the LA area.  Nice enough guy, though his style of communication in his videos turns off some.  

Personally, though some YouTubers are better than others, when I want to know how a car drives, I stick to Chris Harris!

Nick, he is a player in LA real estate.

Alejandro was a hollywood producer. His style is more for the millenniums.

A real car guy, and he and a group of other LA 918 and supercar owners got together and dream up that YouTube series.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689694 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409324 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858082 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774149 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM