Quote:
Carrageous said:
RC,
I've been generally supportive of this idea, but I find myself wondering now, with the news about the upcoming M5, whether or not Porsche can bring something to market that can lead the category. At least, with the Cayenne, there was nothing in that performance range.

I hate to think of Porsche making a "me-too" product that tries to be just as good as the 500-hp M5. Even if it's equal or slightly more desireable, they're in the position of being an imitator, something they've never been.

On the other hand if it looked like this...

D.

When I was in Germany and visited the factory, at the Porsche Centrum I got friendly with the sales manager. It was the time that Cayenne was announced so I possed the "why" question.
He said that the decision was made to give the Porsche owners a choise. He said that a young driver in his 20's might get a used Porsche or a new Boxter. At this point he gets hooked on driving a Porsche ( he called it "infestation"). In his/her 30's now he/she may have gone through a couple of Porsches and probably a 911. Then they have a family and they sell the Porsche to get something practical for the family. That is where the Cayenne comes in. The loyal "infested" Porsche driver has a choice and then hopefully in his/her 40's/50's after the children are grown they will go back to a new 911. That simple...He said that now before the Cayenne the Porsche driver goes to adifferent brand because there is no choise therefore that loyal customer could be lost. His logic is sound. He certainly described me to a T! I started in my 20's with a poor old 924 and I'm on my 6th Porsche now in my 30's! Myself I saw clearly his point. With this logic a 4 door Porsche gives us the "infested" another choise! I'm certainly one of his customers for the 4 door! I simply dont like SUV's ( Nothings wrong with Cayenne BTW), never bought one, never will buy one regardless. My wife will not be caught dead on one either. However in a year or so with the hopefully young family on the way the need for me will be ever so present.. If a 4 door Porsche was out I would for sure try to pull the finances together to stay within the brand as I'm truly "infested".
Make sense no?