Whoopsy:

Tesla latest earnings call. 

I would applaud for a solid quarter. Solid profit without gimmicks. 

But it also disclosed that, admitting for the first time ever, they are playing catch up with others. Only now they are considering 800V system for their upcoming Cybertruck, and Semi. But in the Semi's case, they could already behind even before they settle on 800V as others are planning kV charging systems. 

Now if they Cybertruck do come in 800V, where are they gonna be charged at? They have to upgrade their supercharger network to 800V regardless of whether the Model 3, Model Y, Model S Model X going 800V or not. 

Designing a 800V car vs a 400V has literally zero material cost difference, the 800V system actually is cheaper just because of thinner wires. The circuitry map are literally the same. I suspect once the Cybertruck is in production, they will do a stealth hardware change to get the other models to 800V. 

Hyundai with their Ioniq 5 and the KIA's version EV6, proved 800V system doesn't have to cost more than 400V, and there are huge benefits on charging speed. Those 2 Hyundai offerings are priced below Model 3s yet offers much more content, better material usage even. As of right now, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 is the benchmark mainstream EV, displacing the Model 3, everyone and their mother is getting one, think the current wait time is 18-24 months. 

I seriously doubt some plans for 800 volt in semis or other is playing catch-up. There is a whole lot more to EVs.  But you are funny to again think it is all about 800 volt.