Grant:
Whoopsy:
Grant:
DaveGordon:

I don't know why they don't just fit PFC or AP discs from the factory and be done with it.. cost I suppose... mind you, it would be cool to promote the GT cars as having the exact same brakes as the Cup cars then.. 

The current Cup cars use Brembo and the rotors are a good deal smaller than the ones on the road car (to fit under 18" wheels).  I think they are still 380mm instead of 408mm (stock iron for 992 GT3).  But Brembo Type III are awesome rotors (first picture in Gnils post above) - I use them on my Evo.  Race calipers would be great too, but I think they want to use calipers that use dust shields on the road cars for some reason (and the need to remove them to change pads is annoying).

And Cup car have a lot less weight to haul around.

It's true that they're lighter, but they're also going much faster which actually causes more heat than weight (the braking energy required is proportional to the weight of the car, but it's also proportional to the Square of the velocity).

But since the Cup can take a corner faster, I guess it doesn't have to brake down to such a low speed which helps too (although it begins braking from a higher speed).

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It's better brake cooling on the Cup car. It gets more than enough air to adequately cool the brakes. Top speed on straights is mostly from the hp, so it isn't that much higher than a street GT3, even with higher exit speed from the pervious corners. 

And yes it does enter corners at a higher speed so there is less braking, the braking point is so much later than a street car, due to the sticky slicks. 

Overall, a Cup car spend a lot less time braking, aka generating heating from the brake discs, than a street car. 

--