Grant:

Nice report, Mark!  I have similar findings.  I am slower in my 992 than 991.2 (both manual) with Manthey alignment (-2.5 degrees all around and full rear wing and 3/4 front aero).  However, I think I just need to be braver in the fast speed (medium, really) corners to benefit from the downforce.  I am slightly slower in a straight line now (never adjusted my 991.2 out of delivery setting for the rear wing).

Just one day so far at local track...

I am currently driving my new car like my old one and I think it simply requires pushing harder to be faster.  My brain and muscle memory is telling me where the limit is, but I think the limit is actually still further.  I think I need to consider changing my shift and braking points.

Maybe I'll conclude like you that the aero is a waste of time (and drag).  But I think there is simply a new level out there to reach (hope I don't find the wall first Smiley).

Cheers,

Grant

--

22 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant, Mark, interesting reporting. Given the marginal track times over the 991.2, those that paid significantly above MSRP for the 992 should be experiencing buyers remorse. The 992 is less attractive and not much faster, is at all, than the 991.2. 

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.