thuggy:

Severely doubt VAG would have been a heavy spender like Mercedes and Ferrari.   The core argument of introducing the budget cap in the first place was to attract new manufacturers (ie VAG) and retain existing (ie Renault) who would not (not could not) spend at the same levels as Mercedes and Ferrari.

Thuggy, i totally dont believe in budget cap. When you are large org, like car manufacturer, you are able to hide all excessive spends, simply under other spend articles under profit/loss statements. Even big 4 will not be able to to discover all your spends (not the source, but aim). I hardly believe FIA would spend on total financial audit for car manufacturers;)

By the way, car manufacturers are very complicated guys. Spends is bs, spends is for mass media. Major thing - promote the tech regs the manufacturers want. If no way, manufacturers says - oh, its expensive))) in 2015 porsche or audi (somebody inside vag, i dont know for sure who) has spend 400 mil euro in 1 season on 919 or r18 project. For le mans and wec season;) regular spends > 300 mil each per year for 8 races))) its more expensive per race than f1))) to run a such complicated machinery as r18 and 919 costs a luck)) toyota spent 240 mil a year in 2018 and 2019 when there was no competition))) 

The budget itself is not an issue to make the champ sustainable. ROI - thats what matter and wec fucked up or was fucked up, who knows))

--

sportcars-history.com