reginos:
Porker:

Quite a surprising update for the 812, it gets a new heart. The factory granted it an entirely new “big block” as they call it, so the engine block and its ancillaries will be replaced with new parts. Reason being it always threw up warning messages during long drives, nothing could be felt however but not something you want on a long drive. Various dealers investigated without result, until Ferrari ordered to have the engine topped up with oil and then sealed and then drive 1000km and check the level again. Turns out it exceeds the maximum they allow, and therefore it now gets a hearttransplant. First time I experience that with any car.

What was the problem? Oil consumption outside the allowed norm?

What sort of warning messages appeared? Related to the actual problem or random?

On the question of whether the value of the car will be reduced, in my way of thinking I would prefer a used Ferrari with a new engine from the factory with the latest updated parts etc. than one who could develop problems during my future ownership.

They allow a maximum oil consumption of 1l/1000km, it exceeded that apparently. Message was 'Engine management issue / visit dealer", but no loss in performance or anything of the sort.

Regarding value, I assume most buyers would prefer to have a car with 'matching numbers', depends what you want to do with it I guess. If you're looking for one to drive, this would be the best one around I assume.

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2018 Mercedes-AMG E63 S / 2020 Ferrari 812SF