kingjr9000:
RC:
kingjr9000:

The arrogance of this guy, am I right

https://youtu.be/6wBtOjXGBss

He is very fully of himself, probably for a reason (he has over 300k subscribers, which isn't bad for someone who talks most of the time about cars...) and while there is some truth in what he says about the Superleggera rumor, how can he claim it is a lie when he doesn't know for sure? This rumor has not even be started by Lamborghini, the testing around the Nordschleife was actually secret and the time has never been published officially or even officially been claimed by Lamborghini but the rumors says that VW Group put a lid on this information because they didn't like the result (time was too good). Btw: Rumor has it that the Superleggera did under 7 minutes but nobody knows for sure if it has beaten the 918 time or just matched it. So there is a lot of confusion going on here but Lamborghini never said anything about this and VW Group tried keep it on a very low profile, so how could this be a marketing ploy?! No way.

Also, he claimed that the Huracan is faster than the Aventador, which is a little bit of a stretch in my opinion. Yes, it can probably keep up pretty well with the Aventador but once the Aventador hits over 200 kph, the Huracan looses. Track performance? Well, I can see that and yes, the Huracan is certainly the better platform for a fast track car compared to the (heavier) Aventador but this is exactly my point...it is highly possible that it did the Nordschleife under 7 minutes.

Btw: The 918 record time has been achieved by Porsche with a factory driver, so I think it is highly possible that a Huracan with let's say 100 kg less weight, a very track oriented chassis, the proper tires (apparently Pirelli offers a new track tire for the Huracan Superleggera because the record time was achieved during tire testing...) and maybe 30-40 horses more can achieve this goal. This doesn't mean that the final (production) car can achieve that or that any car journalist would be able to replicate this record time but has actually any car journalist achieved under 7 minutes with the 918?! Well...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Another thing that most people seem to forget is that there are officially two versions of the 918, while technically only one.  Theres the pre-pro, which is the one that did the time and had semi-functioning bits, and then theres the final-pro, which is the fully optimized customer car and probably has about 950hp & 1000 lb-ft, versus a car that is basically old fashioned engineering and down about 200-375hp & 250-400 lb-ft.  The fact that lambs are able to get anywhere near the time on various tracks is actually a nice accomplishment in my eyes.  The fact that the SV is able to be generally within a second of the 675lt on the tracks that they've been on, despite the 800lb difference and on corsas vs trofeos, is a solid testament to its raw ability.

While most people either don't care or don't know that the ring 918 is essentially a different car compared to the one that everyone owns, and when they go to compare it and it doesn't get anywhere near the 918, then they claim lambo lies.Smiley

Well no. The record car is perhaps 90% of the production car, it really isn't that much different in output vs the production car either. Porache listed 887HP combined. Not much HP to be gained from the e-motor, except the production car can rev a bit higher. The gas engine are guaranteed to output at least 608HP, within German rule, they can have a 5%+- margin, since Porsche kept a hard floor of 608HP, the engines could make an extra 30HP or so. The major difference is that the record car does not have active aero. And the hybrid system is not fully optimized in its integration. 

The actual record car could have perhaps another 10 seconds in it if they really really push it. That was from analyzing the data. A production car with all the updates might shave another 5 or so. There could perhaps be another 30 seconds  if not more to be had if it runs on racing slicks instead of the ECO tires. Hell if it has Trofeo R then it would have been a easy 6:40 out of the gate. There were rumors that McLaren had used hand cut slicks to look like Trofeo Rs for their Ring run just to get under 7 mins, like, that old trick Pagani uses.

Does it matter? Absolutely not. Time has moved on. 918 was the fastest of the hypercar of its era. P1 didn't beat it, nor did the LaFerrari. The book is closed. Koenigsegg tried and crashed 

Didn't a Speciale beat the Enzo's time at Fiorano? Don't think any Enzo owners will be slightly upset. 

--