Rossi:

Question to those who might know: will the V10 in the Huracan be replaced by a twinturbo V8 any time soon?

No. Even the facelift is supposed to get a V10. The next generation is a different story though I'm afraid.

According to a guy who tunes V10 engines for a living, the current V10 engine is good for 650 hp without any major mods and/or a capacity increase. The current 610 hp V10 is even "detuned" slightly to reduce torque because of the S tronic gearbox (Audi R8 V10 Plus has 560 Nm torque and this torque is artificially limited, usually the engine would deliver over 600 Nm). So any tuner would need to increase power without torque because the gearbox can't take it. Not really a problem on a n/a engine.

Fun fact: The R8 V10 (without Plus, the 540 hp engine) has the same engine as the Plus variant, no hardware differences. No kidding. Power increase through tuning is difficult though because of various software protection routines and the different gearbox gearing ratio. Same goes to the 580 hp LP-580, it is just software, no hardware.

Also, the upcoming Huracan Superleggera (and Audi GT) will get around 630-640 hp without any major hardware mods, same engine.

What worries me a little bit is the rumor that Audi wants to offer a bi-turbo V6 for an entry level R8, rumored power is 500 hp. I doubt however that such a model would haven any impact on the Huracan. I do not see a V6 bi-turbo on a Lamborghini sportscar any time soon. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)