Leawood911:
CGX car nut:
Leawood911:
CGX car nut:

Impossible.  When similar comments were posted here about people over driving the car, even on the street, and having braking issues, we were told it was impossible.  Impossible. 

So one person is an idiot. How much braking power do you suggest?  The car holds the current 0-100-0 record for all production cars.  Since you want to point to me personally I will point out that I use my brakes to slow down or stop maybe 5% or the time.  That means the brakes get about 5% the use they would if there was no battery regen. The regen braking and stopping is world class smooth.  I doubt the pads on my Teslas Brembo brakes will ever wear down even 20% over the life of the car. 
So to answer your quest - it is impossible to put enough brakes on a street car of any type if one drives like an idiot. This guys identified himself as one with 100% clarity. Why do you choose to play along and join him?  I mean go ahead. 

Spend some time educating yourself on braking systems of road cars where the braking force are multiples of the maximum horsepower of the engine.  Porsche, for example, typically generate around four times the horsepower in braking than its engines produce.  This is why virtually every car will brake quicker from 60 to 0 than accelerate from 0 to 60.  You’re smart so you can guess the exemption.  A plaintiff’s attorney would have a field day with this braking issue when it is tried in the courts. 

It is not a track car!   Two laps of what for crying out loud?  You make it sound like it is not safe to drive normally on the street. What you describe would impact 99% of all street cars. Why not he smart yourself?  It is not a race car.  It stops just fine if you don’t do it again and again.  Lawyer field day my a**.  Why have they not had a field day with all the street cars that can’t do your two laps on a race course??

Hmm, so why Elon bothered to bring a fleet of car to the Ring for testing and tried and succeeded in setting a 'record' time? He wanted to tell the world that his 1000hp Plaid is capable of track duties, that he finally made a car that can handle decently. DIdn't Elon also say there will be a OTA update at a later date for 'track usage'? 

Weird isn't it if what you said is true. 

You keep stating 'your own' case as an example. But your own case is just one data point out of hundreds of thousands if not millions. In the grand scheme of things, it's a throw away data point. 

We know you are passionate about Tesla, and because of your good individual experience, you can't understand, can't stand, or refuse to believe anything that's negative about Tesla. Not even when facts are presented. 

There are MANY Tesla fanboys that have ordered, bought, tested the Plaid already. Every single one of them all agreed that the Plaid is under braked. They can't be all wrong can they? Especially when they are diehard Tesla fans to start with.

Manufacturers can't control where their customers take their cars after deliveries, not even fine prints on the warranty will deter people. What they can control is to put enough safety features on the car itself to mitigate dangerous situations. And the single biggest safety feature on any car is the braking system. 

The Plaid's brakes are adequate when they are cold. Which, during testings, it will be done with cold brakes and gives good numbers. But for some reason they did not factor in what happened if the brakes are warm. This is a serious oversight. They didn't engineer enough cooling directed to the rotors nor installing big enough brakes to cope with the situation. I can only imagine they did this trade off for efficiency reasons. Openings for brake cooling will mean more drag and bigger brakes means more weight, both of which is detrimental to their 'efficiency'. I can't possibly imagine Tesla's engineers are completely idiots and oblivious to the fact that brakes do get hotter after being used. 

On the other hand, if Tesla's target customers are for those that take the meaning of tracks as a drag strips, then the brakes on the Plaid are completely satisfactory. They do one 10 second run, slow down enough to make a 180 turn then back to waiting another hour or two for another run, that's more than enough time for the brakes to go back down to room temperature and ready for another duty cycle.

For most Americans, a track means either a drag strip or an oval, and either places doesn't place a great demand on braking performances. 

--