Leawood911:

My car has its own lte connection. If I would prefer to not pay the $10 per month I can use my cell connection as a hotspot.  There is local cell provider to worry about for consumers. 
The Tesla system is built to eventually use Star Link , of course. 
‘Car makers are wiser with their negotiating- priceless’. Which is why they going bankrupt vs how is Tesla doing?  Reality needs to be taken into account now and then. 

That's the point dude.

All connected cars have their own modem built in. They have their own separate connection outside of your bluetooth. It doesn't tether to your phone. One reason why we can remote monitor our cars, be it Ford, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Teslas. 

Also another reason why car makers are providing hotspots with their cars, but needed you to purchase data plans with them. Monetize their components. 

Somehow I do not think your Model 3 has the Starlink receiver built in, not even an OTA update can change that, will need a physical component update. 

Back out all the government subsidies and carbon credits, Tesla's car business still doesn't make a single dime yet, their company reports don't lie. You ever read through the whole thing even once?

--