Tesla does not support Apple car play or android auto. In addition just about every option is included in every car. Other than color, wheels or number of motors there are some interior trim colors. No tech difference other then amps and speakers.  All the hardware is there for any future functionality and software is used to simply enable the functions you paid for or to enhance existing hardware - like Track mode.  For example - even the base model 3 has rear seat heaters installed and to everyone’s surprise they offered base model owners an option to turn them on for a small charge. 
The objective is to build everything around OTA and security and make that the foundation rather than adding OTA to a bunch of legacy hardware and software that was not designed for it from the start. 
The unique part is that they offer constant free upgrades and features to existing cars some of which are now 10+ years old. Other makers tend to use the up rates to encourage you to buy the new model while leaving you disappointed in your current model. Not good for resale to say the least but good for the dealers (how much of a cut would a dealer want to turn on the rear seat heaters?  I wonder why OTA and dealers conflict?)

This change is good and in the long term I think we can all agree if the tech in our car can be upgraded and enhanced seamlessly - for free - we all win. 

Of course until all makers who are Union can do this we will see silly complaints like the one from the NTHA against Tesla for modifying their autopilot to deal with certain traffic and emergency situations. Seems they think any improvement deems the previous version a safety defect and this means the upgrade is a safety recall etc - rinse and repeat. We have a government who beats up Tesla all day long because they are not Union. Media of course plays along. When consumers  blindly eat it up and go along it makes me sad for progress.  End of rant - I thought they wanted to fight climate change not the money in our banks.