W8MM:
Leawood911:

I don’t think it is the fault of the over the air update. It is the fault of the developers who wrote the software for the over the air update and of course the car software itself.  Let us be very clear about that.  I would never argue that because Porsche can’t seem to pull it off that it is better to go take the car to the shop for this and give up on over the air updates.  Let’s face it, in the shop pretty much the same thing needs to take place.  Multiply this times every car in the fleet and you have gone back ten years in tech. 
If I was making these types of excuses and silly statements excusing these types of issues for my car I would be laughed off this forum. 

My uninformed speculation is that the development of the vehicle data system for the Taycan ran into a buzz-saw of conflicting requirements.  The data-intensive hardware and communications backbone design was probably frozen before the marketing department was finished making demands upon it, thereby inducing "performance demand creep" which rarely turns out well.

Parasitic drain is the enemy of EV range.  I speculate that a ton of functions were crammed into a small number of modules in an effort to be efficient in power consumption.  Many more functions are forced to compete for CPU time and memory access simultaneously.  In the Taycan EVERYTHING seems tied into the PCM and its display(s).  In my loaner Cayenne, plenty of modules and functions apparently operate independently from each other and seem to not wait at all for other processes to finish booting.  The various features ALL seem to be available within a few seconds.  The Taycan, not so much.

All of Taycan's processes seem to boot sequentially and form a queue to start up.    Taycan UI designers seem to have installed a very complicated boot priority scheduler that tries to remember in which state the infotainment system was last operating.  Was the audio in FM?  SiriusXM?  Was the NAV function on top?  This boot order massaging attempts to disguise the fact that the PCM boots more slowly than Windows did 20 years ago.  One of the apparent changes from 2020 Taycan firmware to model-year 2021 code was a re-shuffling of the boot scheduler's priorities.  It made things APPEAR to boot more quickly when in reality it merely put the most commonly complained-about slow-to-function items higher on the priority list.  The hardware takes longer than it should to wake up from sleep.

My particular issues may be related to the number of electronic options on my build list.  I have InnoDrive (w/radar cruise control), night vision display, Burmester audio, etc.  It's just possible that boot-up conflicts must be resolved in favor of safety systems and boot re-tries are not handled elegantly.  I don't know, but the hardware/firmware design seems to be substandard for what I expect from a company so obviously professional as Porsche.

Trying to do too much without ample resources seems like the cause.  

Oooo, you really full load your options.

--