nberry:
Spyderidol:
nberry:

Porsche was out of racing for many years and it did not hurt their bottom line. Personally, I don't care how many races they win or lose. I doubt most buyers care.

Think about it. If Porsche loses or wins a race will that influence buyers as to whether they buy the car?

Actually, not strictly true: Porsche was out of the top class, and did not have a factory financed project for many years, but they were always in racing. Their racing program was customer funded and factory assisted/backed. Under WW they made a business out of racing. Unfortunately that approach limits you to the GT classes (under current regulations). It does not allow for the R&D that is associated with top class racing (LMP1)

You're correct. I should have written an official factory racing program. I still believe it is irrelevant to most buyers. I would wager 99.5% of Porsche buyers could not tell you which race Porsche last competed in and how it did. However, I  understand the reason to race but I believe the R&D could be done in another venue.

I agree partially with your post:

I agree that many buyers are not ardent Motorsport fans (Specifically Sportcar) , but 99.5% may be a little OTT. I think that number will vary from country to country, with European buyers being , in general,  much more aware of Porsche's on track achievements, than say those from  the US, China, etc.

Part of that  perceived loss of the connection that Porsche had with racing is really due to the "lost years in the dessert"  (in terms of motor racing). The racing program that was carried out under WW reign may have been good for the bean counters and  the bottom line, but did little to enhance Porsche's Motorsport image (especially  among  the Sportscar anoraks) .

The other part has to do with Sporstcar motor-racing itself diminished tremendously (after Group C) , especially as uncle Bernie and the FiA did their level best to try eliminate any series that could possibly be of any competition to F1.

This is changing now with the upsurge in popularity of the WEC. It will never be like F1, but it will certainly draw many more fans that will in turn be exposed to the Porsche brand ...in a racing environment.

The final part of your post, I disagree completely.

Any motor racing technician will tell you that  the best possible test-bed for any development is the race track. The pressures and hardship (forces) experienced in endurance racing is superior to any testing program that you can possibly design.