This past week I was doing a Porsche Circle driving event in the Dolomites passes. As expected we were given 992 turbo S to be thrashed around.

It’s actually my first time ever in a 992.

We did the same passes 3 years ago in a 991 turbo S so now I have an apple to apple comparison between the two generations.

My first takeaway, Wet Mode is amazing. Thursday it was raining and cold, we had Wet Mode on and the car simply will not allow wheel spins. Pretty much defying physics how good the car stick to the road. As it happens 3 years ago we had some rain too on one of the days and the 991 wasn’t as planted compared to the 992.

I picked a convertible this time around, and the top is simply amazing. Was traveling on the highway at speed up to 170km/hr and literally no wind noise inside and no messy hair for my girlfriend either with the wind defector up. 

Car feels big and heavy however. It isn’t that much bigger than a 991 but behind the wheel I felt like I was in a Panamera when trying to place it on the road, I had to keep checking the right side mirror to see where my right fender is. Braking and turning is where I can feel extra weight transfer over the 991. But that’s with PDCC on and in Sport Mode. Sport Plus mode however the car is much more agile and willing.

Power. On highway, passing is even more effortless over the 991. There is simply no need to use the push to pass button. It reminds me again  why the turbo S is the best 911, it’s a Swiss Army knife sort of car. Sports mode the car is a great GT, Sport Plus mode it will shame most of the sports car around.

Anothe thing about power. For the 992 turbo S, there is a power dead spot from idle to 2000rpm. In second gear out of turns in that rpm range, the car simply won’t go anywhere, like major turbo lag, this didn’t happened in a 991. I felt like I was in my 964 turbo 3.6 in that regards. Porsche probably sacrificed a bit of drivability to hit the high end power target.

I truly love and adore the interior. Everything is so nice looking, nice feeling when touched and all high end materials. Fit and finish is second to none.The little shifter makes me feel like I am in the 918. Cute. Convertible top is also nicely insulated, no different than say in a hardtop car. Only problem is a big blind spot for rear 3/4 view. But nothing a properly adjusted mirror won’t help.

I was basically staring at a 992 turbo S’s ass for the last 5 days, and also the front of one in the mirror. One word, the ass is THICK. when inside tunnels, with the rear light bar on, and without seeing the car’s color, the rear profile with the fender and glasshouse silhouette, it looks just like a Taycan. 

Another thing about the outside look, on a non-turbo convertible, the rear has a weird hump to it. But on the turbo/turbo S, the extra wing breaks that up nicely so it’s very pleasing to the eyes. 

Overall, it’s a mixed bag, still on the fence about whether to get a 992 turbo S or not. 

--