Quote:
brunner said:
..from some guys who happened to see the Cayman (don't know where )

"The Caymans they had there looked 100% done. Ready to sell. The curve of the rear fender is simply gorgeous. Find a picture of the 550 Coupe from 1956 and you're 90% there. I've got a Beck 550 Spyder and the coupe's rear fenders look SO similar...damn sexy. The front 3/4 view is awesome. The rear looks similar to the 550 coupe, a little strange, like it was an afterthought. Not bad but it will take some getting used to. The hatch was pretty heavy to lift and seemed to stretch forever forward. (IMO, the BMW Z4 there was horrendous alone much less in comparison.)
Side by side with the 997, the Cayman looked more fit, trimed down, svelte, and in side view, nicely proportioned. The 997 is fat in the back, big haunches, which most people love! The Cayman swoopes over the rear fenders and drops down the 987-like rear fender skirt. Different enough. "

"The car is a hatchback hinged just in front of the rear glass. This picture from AUTOCAR is essentially
what I saw as far as the roof and rear end:"

"The side louvers are the same outline shape but have slanted grill pieces instead of the horizontal ones on the 2005 Boxster.
The front grill looked to me like it was designed by an art-deco devotee. The center opening is a lot like the 997, but the fog lights are stuck in a little circle on a thick bar that goes through the openings on either side. Definitely not to my taste. YMMV.

Sitting inside the car I thought visibility was only slightly better than the current softtop Boxster. I did not notice any major differences in the interior of the cars I saw from the Boxster. I do not know what state of production/prototype the cars I saw were.
"

The ultimate test will be if the Porschephile traditionalist consider it a "real Porsche".

I am still puzzled as to what the market demographic is for this car. Will it reduce sales of the Boxster and base 911?

Can it be Porsches' savvy market strategy to slowly transition the car over time to replace the 911?