Quote:
Dr. Phil said:
Is the Z4 a fly-by-wire controlled car??
How come you didnt opt for PASM? I reckon there isnt something called PSM on the 987's, right? PASM = PSM + adjustability...or?

The Z4 has "electric steering". I guess the steering wheel input is measured by a computer and the computer turns the wheels via electric motors and responds with the feedback to hand that it "feels" is correct. If you ask me BMW needs to get back to basics. My E39 5 series had brilliant steering feel/feedback...absolutely perfect. On the first year release of the new E60 5 series you HAD to get Active steering to get the sport package...at least here in The States. No one seems to like that system either!
Then there's the problem BMW won't admit to where after sitting in the hot sun on days over 85 degrees the steering in Z4's feels stiff, notchy and completely unresponsive until the AirCon cools the interior down a bit. This was one of the reasons I traded now...before it got hot here again and I had to deal with this problem for the second year.

As for not getting PASM....basically it was a financial decision. Just getting to a base S model was a stretch for me so I left nearly all 96 option boxes unchecked.
My car does have PSM just not PASM. I believe PASM cars also have PSM as these are two seperate systems.

I have only:

Heated seats....so I can drive top down more comfortably in temps below 50 degrees.

Bose stereo.....I'm a music fan and even though the Boxster makes its own glorous music...I still occasionally want to hear some Echo and the Bunnymen...really loud!

Bi-Xenons....sorry, but once you get use to Xenons you HAVE to have them. makes ordinary halogens seem like you've taped two flashlights to your front bumper...flashlights with weak batteries!

Sport steering wheel....also a MUST have item. I much prefer it's smaller diameter and the contours are perfect.

That's it. So you see...truly a stripped 987S, but I couldn't be happier!!

PASM with the beautiful 19's would have been nice, but out of my range...heck the car as spec'd is out of my range!