dreamcar:

I tried the 1 series found it very uncomfortable and cramped, actually more so than the Volvo. Normally it's just me in it as it's my commuting car, occasionally it's just SWMBO and me, but yes for a family with say two children it would be tight. I actually prefer the interior of the Volvo to the 1 series,  quality of plastics much better and less Teutonic austere. The ergonomics of the infotainment with no touch screen and dozens of little buttons is not clever, I agree. This will change with the all new V40 due in a couple of years I'm sure it will have the large touch screen system of the newer larger models.
--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

I rented a V40 D2 last time I was in Germany, made almost 1000 km (Stuttgart to Kehl, then to Zurich and then back to Stuttgart). We also have an A3 Sportback 1.6 TDI in the family. 

So my honest opinion, I prefer A3 without a second thought but like the V40 more than I would have thought. I think, the new XC90 platform (I mean the interior & exterior design language) is very nice which now shapes the S40/XC40 concepts. I especially like S40 sedan concept and if it is large enough, I would like to buy it in place of my wife's BMW F30.

--

ONUR

458 italia smiley