Quote:
stone said:
I swapped from an old Snooper to the Road Angle which only realy works from downloaded info - first big difference was that it did not go off when passing all the automatic DIY shop doors, it also only alerts you to the camera on the same side of the road that you are going, however I have never had it pick up a direct hit. (yet) The older snooper used to "detect" each camera as it approached and so if it did not go off it ment there was no film in the camera - and yes its true, you could just sail on by..Also the display is quite large, and bright, I have to say I'm not a big fan even though it does its job

That's bonkers! How could a snooper or any detector know (or detect) if there was film in a camera or not?!
Even if a camera didn't have any film (most of them are digital now anyway and don't require reloading) it still emits the radar signal and still flashes if you exceed the set limit. Same goes for 'dummy cameras', about 40% of cameras in and around London (and I'm sure other places) are 'dummies', they will flash but are not capable of taking pictures.

Also most police forces only have a limited number of cameras to go around their many camera sites. They swap them around. It used to be that the Met only had one camera for every 5/6 sites, obviously not including dummies. As you can see this drastically reduces your chances of capture. This all only applies to the somewhat old fashioned 'Gatso' type cameras.

More of a concern are mobile cameras in or at the side of vans parked at the side of the road. Also the 'SPECS' things seem highly efficient, haven't ever seen them but I think there are some on the M6 or somewhere around there. Hand held lasers are always a worry but again. I haven't seen to many of those.