donatello:
Whoopsy:
Wonderbar:

The Taycan 4S is popular in our region, with three in my immediate neighborhood alone. Quite striking and unusual looking visually. But I am continually reminded of my conversation with a Porsche marketing executive at the Taycan debut in Geneva where he said “ We would not be here if not for Tesla.”

And they are smart enough to realize the top end of the EV segment is untapped. 

It used to be a Tesla monopoly, doesn't matter one's net worth, if one wants a EV Tesla was the only choice. 

With the launch of the Taycan, the EV segment instantly expanded from like $40k-1$00k range that Tesla aim for to $200k-$250k. And that also created room for the Mercedes EVs, Audi's etc.

Personally I find the new Tesla model S much more compelling than any Taycan or any of the upcoming lux alternatives including the hideous looking Merc s-class ev. I've had many Porsches and driving a Panamera Turbo right now, but just ordered a Model s plaid after having driven my buds Model S (the old 2020 model)

When I speak with friends many have the same reasoning. Porsche (non sports cars) and other German brands is starting to feel a bit dull and this includes the Taycan. But I think this can be an age thing. Old farts are probably more stuck with the old and gold. My friends who most are sub 40 seems to be more towards Tesla than the german alternative which seems a bit too sterile and boring. But each to his own I guess.

That's free market at work. Everyone can have their choices. Without the Taycan entering the market, people didn't have a choice. But that doesn't means everyone will move onto the Taycan. Some will chose to stay with Tesla. 

This is not unlike those old people who chose to stay with Buicks and Cadillacs even with Mercedes and whatnots on the market. 

--