Some interesting opinions expressed so far.

However, all we have seen so far are just spyshots. We haven't seen any official photos yet. Personally, I don't buy a car just based on its performance and technical specifications although these are obviously very important factors, especially in a sports car. However, I buy it also because I have fallen for its looks. So it's possible that the Cayman S may be nearly as good as the Carrera on paper but may be aesthetically less attractive than a Carrera to some buyers who may be prepared to pay some more for the car they really like the look of.

I wonder ... people here who have expressed their view may already have owned or may currently own a Porsche. However, I fall within the category of people who dream of owning a Porsche one day. I think it's exactly the sector that Porsche is trying to tap into by the introduction of various cheaper models. But will I feel satisfied if I buy a cheaper version of what I have always wanted? As a boy I always had posters of cars on my bedroom wall. I dreamed of getting a BMW, a Porsche etc. I am very happy with my BMW 328i but one day, I hope to move up to a Porsche. Somehow, if I buy a Cayman S, whenever I see a Carrera or Carrera S, I will always regret not buying a 911. I guess there will be other people who will also think that way too. It's hard to put aside an icon with 41 years of sporting pedigree and buy a completely new model.

Turning aside from those very personal thoughts, looking at the tiny amount of information we have so far for the Cayman S:

Boxster 2.7L 240 bhp
Boxster S 3.2L 280 bhp
Cayman S 3.4L 295 bhp
Carrera 3.6L 325 bhp
Carrera S 3.8L 355 bhp

As far as I am concerned, the price difference from Boxster S through Cayman S to Carrera is about GBP21,000 and yet there are 3 engines within this range with only 0.2L difference between them. Similarly, the power increment is from 280bhp through 295 bhp to 325 bhp. One has to be a real Porsche officionado to value these small engine size and power output increases which involve correspondingly large price increases.

This would be absolutely fine if looked at in a vacuum. However, set against the backdrop of a horsepower rivalry between BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz (amongst others), the fine distinctions behind these small engine size and power output rises makes this approach look difficult to justify. Granted, a car is much much more than just power and straight line speed. A Porsche will outdo around a track anything BMW, Audi or Mercedes Benz can produce. However, most of us don't track our cars. Most of us simply use these cars everyday for work or pleasure on public roads. As such, Porsche should realise that from a competitive standpoint, this makes the brand look like its being left behind. Porsche should compete with other manufacturers on power too so the power output differences between models can be more spread out which in turn will help people find the right model for them more easily.

As for the Cayman S webspecial, I was disappointed that there were no photos. This isn't a teaser trailer for a new movie. It's a new luxury sports car and we should be accorded a little more respect than that.

I fear that Porsche may have wounded sales of the base Carrera by the introduction of the Cayman S even though the Boxster and the Cayman S may feel totally different to drive than the Carrera just because of the relatively small difference in technical specifications on paper and the relatively large price difference between them.