Good debate. I have to agree with ISUK tho, UK buyers are far more aware of the potential resale value of their car. A Porsche is a complete and unabated luxury, and therfore should not be considered a ''sensible'' purchase in any real world. However, very very few cars will not lose money, just some will lose less than others.

My personal position is a little different. I am stretching myself a little to buy this car (i'm only 26), and I already have another car for the 'daily grind'. However because this is a big purchase for me I want to get it right, not just for myself, but also for my wallet come trade-in time. I was offered a 1 year old 986 S for the same money I am spending speccing my new 987 2.7. Despite the older cars slightly punchier power delivery, I still think the new 987 2.7 is a much better buy. A Frankfurt Porsche dealer told me so as well and I kind of respect the Germans judgement on these things.

So my spec is as follows

987 2.7
Atlas Grey, Black partial leather interior
18'' Box S wheels
Wheel centre set
Sports steering wheel
Heated seats
Park assist
Bose with Wind deflector
Auto climate
Xenon
and poss SPorts seats (haven't yet decided)

So, its not a BIG spec, but a sensible one in my opinion and more than enough to keep a grin on my face.

Roll on August