Hello Carlos,
Would the answer be simple enough: Is there any change to the engine from 996 to 997? At least in the areas involving the RMS problem--the seal, etc.?
If there has been no change, then should we expect the same percentage of rms failure as 996?
This thread hopefully will be helpful to people new to Porsche. Please don't make it a discussion about Ben. (Hello Ben, just kidding. Ok, only half kidding. I appreciate your replies.)
Regards,
Can

Quote:
Carlos from Spain said:
Quote:
VKSF said:I would think PAG's financial guys have done the analysis on RMS warranty repair costs vs costs of engineering/building more robust engine block...and made logical choices. If quality problems become large enough, they eventually show up in co.'s financials (e.g., DaimlerChrysler's recent earnings release where Merc's warranty repair costs are jeopardizing profitability of co.).

You have nailed it. Thats the reason it continued unfixed during the entire lifespan of the 996/986. But passing it onto the new model is really too much, I don't think the quality image and customer satisfaction damage that it would cause would be offset by the R&D costs of redesigning the engine, thats why my rational part of my brain has a hard time believing they would do such a thing, though my emotional part doesn't have its hopes up