mcdelaug:

Hey Nick, so Grant’s explanation is exactly how things work if your state has one of these “schemes.” I guess California doesn’t. It saved me a few thousand $ on my Evo purchase. I mentioned it only make sure you kept it in mind as you decided who to buy from and how to sell your current car.  

You may have noticed that a lot of expensive cars have either Oregon or Montana plates. This can be a tax dodge as those states have attorneys that will let you set up an LLC for a few hundred $. You then use that LLC to own your car. These states don’t tax car purchases, and in Montana’s case, some counties don’t even require annual inspections. Other State’s tax authorities are aware of these schemes and you may or may not want to pursue it. I didn’t. But as an attorney you’re much better suited to discern risk in this way than me. I just like understanding what’s possible and why things happen. I think this is what Leawood was referring to.

I own a property in Beaverton with my daughter. For estate purposes she is on both the property and car title. If you want to go the LLC route, as a lawyer it would be a piece of cake and much simpler than paying for grad school.  Oregon does no car inspection and Kansas only when first purchased (unless it is new then not at all).