Quote:
cannga said:
Hi,
I am considering the 911, have done as much reading/research as I could, and am a little worried about these reports of RMS problem, engine blow up, etc.
On the one hand, I recalled reading some poll (I am NOT sure) where someone mentioned a 25% RMS problem with Boxter.
On the other hand, I have friends with Boxter/911, etc., and none seems to have the problem metioned.
So:
1. If I plan to keep the 911 for more than 4 years, does Porsche offer extended warranty? If so what is the cost and would it cover RMS/engine blowup?
2. It seems *IMPOSSIBLE* to me that the problem could be that prevalent (25%) and for the Press (as unreliable as they might be) to not mention anything about it. So, those in the know, what is your opinion please of the percentage of this problem? Does it seem more prevalent because those affected are, for good reasons, very upset and (no offense inteded) vocal.
I have wanted a 911 for a long time, now that I could afford it, it is somewhat disappointing to find out about this problem. I am new to this board and don't mean to start a flame war at all, so please refrain/be gentle , and please don't tell me "Just buy the car and enjoy and return it at the end of the lease." I would like to keep the car for more than 4 years. Above all, I would like to have a sense of how common this is. To me, even 10% is too high, let alone 25%.
Thanks and regards,
Can
P.S. Cross posting to another forum that I read. No harm intended.

For something as expensive as a modern sports car, an extended warranty and gap insurance are always a smart move IMHO. None of the Porsches I've owned have ever had an RMS issue (knock on wood for the new one). I have no idea what the actual statistics are on the RMS issue, but it seems to me the numbers would be confidential data that Porsche would be stupid to release. I doubt the number is 10-25 percent, but how would I really know?

Any dealer can offer you an extended warranty. It will be with a third party company, not Porsche AG or PCNA (RC correct me if I got it wrong). Just call the finance dept.