Quote:
mrcohanian said:
Today, on route to office, I had my first major problem with my 997. Driving at 30mph, I all of a sudden noticed a loud rattleing sound coming from the engine. At first I thought the muffler came loose and that I was dragging it on the ground. I immediately pulled over and looked around the car but saw nothing. I started the engine again and the car was making all kind of loud funky sounds as if a piece of metal was loose in the engine and was being bounced around. I called porsche roadside and had the car flatbed to the porsche dealership. At that point , I walked into the sevice bay and told the head mechanic that there was a serious problem with my car. As he pulled the car into the bay, oil was pouring out all over the place. To make a long story short, they found a hole in the engine crankcase the size of a quarter . They think one of the cylinder rods broke loose and put a hole in the crankcase. The mecanic said the engine is unrepairable and that I would need a new engine. My response was for a 80000 dollar car that was only 2 months old, this was completely unacceptable and they can keep the car. I was told that they will contact the porsche regional and I will be contacted in 7-10 days as to determine how to handle this. As far as I am concerned , I have no intention of taking this car back, Would you with a car thats two months old that now needs a brand new engine. Meanwhile here i am paying a porsche lease on a 997 every month and I have no car. Tell me you wound't be pissed about this.

This really is tragic but the best you can hope for is a new engine. I agree with others that these things happen and to demand a new car in my opinion is unreasonable.

I have my issues with Porsche but in a consumer setting Porsche is obligated to replace the engine and no more. My concern would be to what extent they try to pass the failure of the engine on your driving i.e. did you follow break in instructions et cetera?