Quote:
Fanch you wrote:

"I think you miss the point of what a 911 is.
It's not about speed anymore, every car now is fast.
Same for Ferrari, I don't have the numbers at hand but I'm pretty sure an M5 or S65AMG would give a hard time to a 360 or even a 430.
It's more than that, it's the handling, the image, the classic lines, etc."

If that was the case we wouldn't need to buy a new Porsche b/c the old ones have all the lines, designs and handling we need. So in keeping with that thought, ask yourslf besides those 3 things you mentioned what would you expect in a new 911 or Turbo?

No not at all, you misunderstood me, sorry for not being clear enough. I'm not talking about classic cars here, but modern cars.
Classic cars are very different. I like the 911 because it's such a wonderful engineering package. See I'm an engineer and beyond the lines, heritage, noise, etc. I'm also fascinated by the engineer's achievement, what was once the major flaw of the car (rear engine) is now it's trademark, brilliant!
And to answer your question, I also look into comfort, gizmos, goodies, but most of all, safety, I've had two big crashes (knock on wood) and I'm thankful I was in a well engineered car each time (Boxster S and 996 cab), nothing happened to me, bu no comment on the cars
It's a difficult question to answer RR4 and I hope I've given you can element of response, but straight line speed would not even be in my top 10 requirements, acceleration would however
The new 911 is always better than the previous but sticking to the same philosophy, I dig that.
Having said that, one day, I WILL own a 356 speedster, a 356 Carrera and 911S from the late sixties and maybe just maybe, a 550 Spyder