Quote:
Ron (Houston) said:
Quote:
RC said:
I even heard 320 HP for the Cayman but I hope this isn't true for the sake of the 997 Carrera. Porsche might not realize it yet but the Cayman will heavily damage 997 Carrera and maybe even Carrera S sales.
In my opinion, the Cayman doesn't make ANY sense but I'm not a marketing pro.
Or maybe Porsche wants to offer some "base" models (Boxster, Boxster S, Carrera, Carrera S) and more special models like the Cayman, GT3, Turbo, etc. for a different type of customer.

I think the 911 die-hearts remain loyal to the 911 ; even though Cayman may offer same/higher hp than the base 911 it won't carry the same prestige as the 911.

Believe it or not majority of the 911 drivers drive the 911 for its stature than what this car can really do.

My feeling is that, as fanch said, like the new CLS it opens up a new venture for Porsche; won't necessarily steal 911 owners nor Boxster open top lovers.

But time will tell .

The saying goes that history always repeats itself. In the past, a mid-engine model had similar engine size to a 911 and was faster than a 911 on the track. The 911 won for those same points that you mentioned Ron. Then they had a front engine model that performed better and again the 911 won.

A 911 is a 911. A 911 is a Porsche. All other models are just Porsche models.

When I got my car several months ago, my biggest fear was they would stop making the 911 before I was able to get one. I have had two other entry models, they were super cars but they were not 911s.

I do think that Porsche does have another major problem. What are they doing to increase 911 die-hards? Those of us that are 30 or older remember Porsche racing victories at Le Mans and other places where they went head to head with Ferrari and other car companies and won. Where is that excitement today? Heritage can only last so long.