Just took delivery on 987S today. Turned in my 03 boxster S (36000 miles on board) for the new model . Initial impressions:
The first thing that you will find is that although the cars look similar , their not. The 987 has a far more agressive stance, the front nose looks modern and the rear of the car has a chunkier appearance. The interior seems more spacious and with full leather along with the adaptive sport seats gives it an upgraded look.
As for driving impression: Starting the car, you immediately notice that the engine has a throatier sound. Porsche seems to have improved the car's low/midrange punch as well. The Six speed shifts very smoothly but did feel a bit stiff. This could be because the car is new and not yet broken in.
What I did notice is that the steering on the new car is definitely heavier (this is on 18' wheels and no pasm) and the brake pedal felt softer. The ride is comfortable and does a nice job absorbing the bumps on the road.
There seems to be plenty of grip with the 18'wheels, I would not bother with either the 19' wheels or the pasm. Visability was excellent with the roof up and the engine note is one of the best I have ever heard.Its a great car. I always loved driving my 03 boxster and all I can say is they made the car better.