RC:
CGX car nut:

I’ve been an instructor with the BMW Foundation/Tire Rack teen Street Survival program and I can’t stress sending a young driver through such a program.  It helps make the unconfident driver confident driver and scare the overconfident driver into respect for the car.  

There’s too many influences on teens today that affect the way they act regardless of parental oversight.  Too many have watched Fast and Furious, for example, think they can drift with the best of them, not realizing the difficulties and dangers trying it out on the street in a passenger vehicle.  

From observation, having a child involved with sports is a large differentiator in a teen’s ability to properly, and safely, handle a car. Only once had this observation not held.  It was only in the afternoon session did I learn my student was dyslexic.  This explained why there was a slight, but noticeable, hesitation in his maneuvering on the slalom course and emergency braking and lane change exercises. 

Smiley Video games are also an issue, my son is an amazing driver in video games (and I mean amazing) and of course YouTube videos where young(er) sports car owners drive supercars and everything looks so easy and cool. Smiley

Video games introduce an entirely different set of obstacles with different levels of hand-eye coordination.  Unlike the real-world, video games have a convenient reset function.