Gnil:

Isn't it all about education properly the driver ? 

No, I'm afraid not. At a certain age, you have an inner devil (aka hormons and/or inexperience/reduced self-esteem) driving you and sometimes, the brain just shuts off in certain situations. I noticed this in me and basically all my friends at that time. 

If I didn't do pro rally racing at 18-20, I would be dead by now. Even with the proper training, I did things I better not tell about. Smiley

I had a major(!) accident at age 20 (after I ended my short two years rally career), when I was hit by a drunk driver in the front of the car (Kadett GTE, quite the rocket at that time) and my car flipped(!), rolled over a couple of times and slid for quite a while on the roof. I have some pictures somewhere, the police officer said he didn't believe someone exited the car alive. I had only a couple of broken ribs, fled out of the hospital after an hour because I was next to a guy with a knife in his back in the emergency, talking(!) to me and I it was just too much for me. 

"Funny" story: The police officer who dragged me out of the rolled over car offered to sit down at a nearby restaurant and have a drink(!) to calm me down. Thank god I don't drink alcohol, that police officer was a dumbass. 

The drunk driver in a Lada(!) had only a few scratches, so did his passengers.

Why I told this story, even if it wasn't my fault? Simple: It made me "feel" an accident for real, I experienced pure horror and every time I drive fast, I am reminded of this accident and I keep my calm and restrain myself. It has been really a great help in keeping me from doing stupid stuff, believe it or not. I do not wish for anyone to experience such a thing.

My son got his driver's licence this january. I didn't get him a car, he takes what he can find on our parking lot. Mostly the Mini JCW. Sometimes the Q7. Sometimes the 964 and for the moment the 997 Carrera S  only when I am a passenger or when he has to follow me. It is pretty difficult to know where the limit is . Somehow for now my take is to teach him how to drive these cars instead of just making him drive a car with no power. 

I hate to say this but even if I do not know your boy, I am not sure a Mini JCW is the right car for a beginner. I know you mean well and I would love to get my son his dream car Challenger V8, Dodge RAM 1500 V8 or a M2 CS but while I trust my son, I do not trust his hormones and driving skills. Smiley To be honest, even the planned A3 sedan with 150 hp makes me a little bit nervous because this is still a car accelerating in 8.4 seconds from 0-100 kph and it can do over 230 kph. My daughter is a different story, she is calm, very cautious, she can handle the Evoque.

I will let my son do some driving education events but overall, these events teach you basics and techniques but they do not temper your ego. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)