Herbaliser:

Don't do it. I am still trying to decide which is the worst value for money car I've ever driven: Volvo or Range Rover (the big one). I think that the Autobiography was the worst value for money but I wouldn't want to ever drive a Volvo again for sure. I can't imagine anyone who has ever owned a proper German car to feel anything but dissapointment from any Volvo model. And the RR...what a disappointment...

With respect I disagree, it all depends on your expectations. IF you expect a Volvo to drive like a Porsche then disappointment will definitely follow. If you expect an XC-90 to achieve off road achievements of a Range Rover then again it won't happen.

If however you want reliable, exceptionally comfortable, relaxing and safe transport then that's Volvo's area of expertise. SWMBO has great difficulty finding a car she truly feels comfortable in due to back and hip issues and she is vertically challenged. She feels that the V40 I have as my commuting transport is the most comfortable seat she has ever had, and we've tried many many cars to find one she is happy with. It is also a far superior car in every way to my previous VW Golf based Octavia. We also tried Audi's A3, the latest VW Golf, and last year even the BMW 3 series Touring and we both prefer the V40. 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive