For many the non folding middle row is a huge issue. Personally I am pretty sure I can fit more than the 7 suitcases that fit in the rear of my Macan so it is good enough, and I don't transport very large object, I have them shipped angry​ especially in a $130k brand new car. I can put the middle seat just forward enough to put the depth of one suitcase then put the rest behind with the third row folded. Didn't measure but the distance between the back second row seats all the way forward to the trunk has to be more than in the Macan with the seats folded (about 58" in the Macan).

That said the way the middle row of the X operates is reall cool and offers easier access to the third row than any other SUV, plus there is some room for small bags under the seats since they are each on a pedestal. Also do not forget that the X has a small front trunk too since there is no engine there angel That front crumple zone is one of the reasons the X is the safest car on the market today.

The design will not please everyone, but to me it doesn't look worse than the GLS, X5, Bentley SUV or last two Cayennes. RRS and new Q7 look way better though.