My guess is the new Panamera design will--in addition to the expected '' humpback RIP" press reviews--receive number of awards.  Well deserved, in my view.  The car's success will depend on the world economy, not on competition from others, or from weight.  it is a unique and desirable and damn fast car--finely engineered and constructed--and will continue to evolve.  

On the price of Porsches in general, while Porsche is certainly pushing my financial boundary with college age kids, big city living, estate planning, etc., I have to admit there are thousands of more prosperous folks who can easily afford fine cars in the mid to upper 100K range.  For these folks, scribbling a $150K check is barely noticeable. In the metropolitan area where I live, upper middle class average net worth approaches $3 million.  I can only imagine the number of Porsche buyers whose net worth is in the tens or hundreds of millions.  When you throw in lease programs, a monthly payment of 3K or so for a 150K car is barely more than several expensive dinners at top class restaurants.

And I would add that, in my view, a very finely appointed Panamera or 991, is absolutely worth its price.  I currently have a well optioned 2105 Cayenne Turbo as my daily driver, and it is worth every penny in quality, performance, and superb driving experience.  And when my lease is up, will i stretch and stretch and drive my wife nuts  for another high range Porsche?  I will let you guess...